M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some discussion as to whether there is a top speed limiter on the 109 besides the 7200 rpm rev limiter. So I went out today to find out...the answer is definitely YES. The ECU limites rpm to 6200 in top gear. What this means is the bike has the exact same top speed in 4th and 5th gear. That is 128mph on a GPS or about 141mph on the inaccurate speedometer. In top gear the bike has a lot more to give when it runs square into the limiter. From the way its still pulling and looking at the horspower peak graphs I would guess the bike will pull close to 140mph actual once derestricted...that would be about 6800rpm in top gear. I dont think it will go any faster stock as this is where peak horsepower starts to decline and the 109 has all of the aerodynamics of a flying brick :p. I do think it will get comfortably into the 135-140 range derestricted based on how strong the bike pulls into the 6200rpm top limiter. I also did some other testing. Did several quarter mile runs(I can only do trap speeds with my GPS so sorry no times). The slowest trap was 110mph...the best 114mph so I'm very comfortable this bike will run high 11s :bigthumbsup: As for roll ons(top gear), I do 200 yard rolls from 50 mph(GPS). I consistently hit 82mph trap(GPS). That is a GREAT number for a cruiser. By comparison my stock VTX ran 75, modified meanstreak ran 77, and ,well, pipe and pc Hayabusa...91mph. So its not a Busa but what is(dont say ZX14). All in all I'm very impressed with the performance .The 109 is sneaky fast...I really didnt think it felt as fast as the numbers show. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice. I hit my limiter the other day while riding with my sport bike buddies. I'm sure it wont be long until someone makes a little device that will remove the limiter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i agree i did the same thing today... if you wont proof without going 140(128 corrected) put you bike in 5th pull the clutch and hit the limiter 7400 in all gears except 5th it is 6200

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put mine on the dyno yesterday. 106 peak hp, 126 mph 4th gear, 125 mph 5th gear. 97 ft/lbs torque. Satisfactory, but not fulfilling. What about Suzuki's official stance that the 109 isn't limited..Not really a big deal, just don't lie to us about it. :cop:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you think Suzuki put a 6200 limit in 5th gear for liability reasons...perhaps they think a cruiser with this much stock power may get them in trouble, if they allowed it to climb above 140 miles per hour... of this size and aerodynamics may prove to be an issue for them at speeds above 128 mph. This way when everyone figures out how to get 7400 rpm in 5th...suzuki is off the liabilitiy hook for producing a "stock" 140 plus cruiser. Does any one else know of a cruiser that goes faster than 140 mph stock? If the Haya Cruiser (109) goes faster than 140 is it still a cruiser...insurance companies would certainly like to know so they can charge rates equal to the sport bikes :D :confused:

ps wouldn't it be nice is suzuki produced a version of the 109 that goes head to head with the h-d destroyer....sign me up for that one...drag racing is in my blood. Then Lamont would have to stuff a 330 straight wall tire under the fender.... :p :evil:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Being a natural skeptic I scoffed at this rev/speed limiter claim....until I tested it this morning. I gunned it in 5th and for sure it topped out @ 6200 rpm. I will say that even with a fly screen, at the speed I was going, whatever it was, I was holding on to the bike like a fat kid on a twinkie. While this is mildly annoying, do we really need to go any faster?

·
Registered
525 Posts
pizzmor said:
Being a natural skeptic I scoffed at this rev/speed limiter claim....until I tested it this morning. I gunned it in 5th and for sure it topped out @ 6200 rpm. I will say that even with a fly screen, at the speed I was going, whatever it was, I was holding on to the bike like a fat kid on a twinkie. While this is mildly annoying, do we really need to go any faster?
Fat kid on a twinkie... that's a good one :clap2:

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you guys need to go faster, then you need the busa or the new zx14. you know with daul intakes just think of twin turbos on the 109. just think how that would feel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff I've purchased your product for my Busa and found it to be an excellent product at a low price. Will you have a tre with 2.7k ohm resistor available soon? I'm lazy and would rather pay you for a nicely made unit(yah I know its only a dollar resistor, some Zuk plugs and epoxy) instead of spending a part of a day off attacking my wiring harness or ECM. Thanks ... Curt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts