M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up my m109r on the highway the other day and noticed the speedo indicated about 144 mph and tach was at 6700 . The bike felt like it was still pulling then started slowing down almost like it was running out of gas. I tried it again with the same results. I have also noticed shifting from 1st to 2nd at 7000 rpm it also will do the same but not always,Sometimes it is fine. I have hit the so called rev limiter wich acts more like a fuel shut off not a electronically controlled rev limiter. Is this what I am feeling in top gear at 6700 to 6800 rpm ?

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Yep, you hit the roof. The limiter lowers/cuts off the fuel pressure when you reach the programed RPM. :beer2: :bow:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i'm curious as to why the rev limiter would start cutting back at different points dependent on which gear you are in. i thought the limiter hit at 7500 in general, right at redline.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree - it seems strange that you limiter would kick in before the red line. :confused:

Not like I have a real desire to go 150 mph but it would be nice to know what to expect if you are approaching the redline in a situation where you might need it. I've been there in a car at the end of passing lane in the mountains and its not the place you want to lose power.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I can't say for sure, but if this is happening prior to redline, it's possible you're just running out of air rather than bumping the rev limiter.

The airbox on this bike is cavernous. It could handle a lot more air than the breathers are providing.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
bollert said:
Some bikes have soft rev limiters to keep you out of the yellow for long periods of time
I would agree, you're not going to be able to take it to 7500 rpm and then it dies. I agree that it will start in a little earlier.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
M109R said:
if you watch your tach you would be fine..Are the rev limiter and top speed limiter related
To my knowledge it is based on RPM only. Thats why you can hit in any gear.

·
Registered
422 Posts
rynosback said:
 But why would you want to? It is there to protect your engine from blowing up.
And to prevent an accident spread over a couple of zip codes ;)
I'm not a confident enough rider to even try that sort of speed

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rynosback said:
To my knowledge it is based on RPM only. Thats why you can hit in any gear.
My gsxr 1000 had a gear position switch that let the fuel and ignition control box know what gear you were in to retard the timing in the first four gears so the bike would be less wheelie prone. I wonder if this bike has a similar set up for top speed or drivability factors.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rev limiter is rather standartd practice, but I've noticed no speed limiter on my mine. I can envisage a situation where given road grade, weight on bike, wind resistance, etc. that the bike might not comfortably pull top end on alloccasions in 5th gear as it's an overdriven gear.
That's why I love 2nd, 3rd, and 4th so much and I've never had trouble pulling 7500 in any of them.
5th is for loafing at 90 on the expressway to avoid burning quite so much of that expensive premium fuel.
Jerbaer

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey man, i hit rev limiter in 4th then switched to 5th looked down speedo read 146 @ about 6800 rpm no problem with it cutting out... and it was still pulling hard

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
But why would you want to? It is there to protect your engine from blowing up.
i'd want to ditch it too if it's limiting at 6500. that would mean it's not letting us play much in our powerband.

·
Registered
584 Posts
where are you all riding at that gives you enough straight road to hit 140+mph? I'd imagine the wind at those speeds feeling like you are close to being plucked off of the bike!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts