M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

M109riders.com newbie here. I am here for some quick opinions from the HUGE community you all have going here.

I just had the insurance company declare my Suzuki GS500F as totalled due to the darn thing simply blowing over :/ The rice rocket weighed less than 400 pounds, and the wind from the Rockies had it's way with the bike.

I ended up salvaging the bike and taking the extra cash. I plan on using the insurance check as a nice down payment on a new bike. I am looking for something a bit more comfortable these days, but certainly with some more get up and go than my old 487cc engine.

I am hopelessly in LOVE with the M109R! The look... the sound... just wow. I have a test drive of the bike on 03/25 to get a feel for everything from torque, handling, smoothness of ride, etc...

I have been riding for about 3 years now, but have only EVER ridden sport bikes. 99.9% on my GS500F, and a few miles on a friends GSX-R 600. Not only am I concerned about the HUGE power difference, but I am also concerned about whether or not it is a good idea to get used to a new riding position with that kind of power at my beck and call.

Could I get the community to provide their thoughts on whether or not it is a good idea to go from 487cc to 1783cc even with several years of riding experience? Along with that, how wise it is to do this and learn a new riding position at the same time. I have taken MSF classes, and know the ins and outs of how bikes work. I am simply worried not only about my personal safety, but more importantly the safety of the 109. :dontknow:

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen!
Frost

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I'd say you'll be fine...

You've been riding for 3 years, so you know the fundamentals. Its just a matter of learning the new bike...

The 109 is going to feel heavier, be harder to turn, and have less clearance...

as far as the power... You know where the throttle is and how to use it so I wouldn't worry about it... just respect that its a different bike and don't try to ride it like your ass in on fire your first time out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Frost!:welcome: I had only ridden sportbikes when I bought my 9 and aside from the forward controls and sitting position they biggest thing to watch out for...and I mean BE READY... Is the torque of this bike! Combined with the throttle response, It can catch you off guard when you first get on one! Hang on and enjoy!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news!

Thanks a ton for the fast replies!

I appreciate the vote's of confidence. Fredniner, I am going to be VERY cuatious when getting on this beast. Not only because I am very much aware of the power difference, but because when I do the test drive, the bike will not belong to me :S

Make ample use of the clutch!

Ass on fire... Hmm... Going to be interesting for a guy like me, but I think my respect for the power to weight ratio will keep my in check for quite a long time. ;)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Frost, :welcome: to the forum and I'm sorry that your old GS500 got blown over and insurance totaled it. Good thing, you'll be getting a new bike. Going from a 487cc bike up to a 1783cc bike will be quite a difference, but nothing that hasn't been done before. Being that your going from a sport bike to a heavy power cruiser. The increased weight, power and seating position will be what you'll need to adapt too. The M109 uses forward controls which will place your feet in a much different position then your used to riding. Other then that. The weight and power of the bike, you'll adapt to as you ride it. Just like any other vehicle. You have to take the time to feel how it performs and handles. Take the time to get to know the bike. You should have no problem with riding a M109.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
:welcome:Bro you will be fine going to the 109 you will just have to get use to a new bike that is the same as any other new bike you have to get use to it before you start to rock on it!! yes I have to say I stold this sorry but it fits!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
You will be fine going from a sport bike. I too came from sport bikes. My last sport bike was a gsx-r1000. Your first few rides will feel a little different on the 9, but after those first few rides, you will get used to it and ride it fine. Buying a new 9 will be great for you, b/c you can use the break in period to get used to your 9 before you really get into her. But even if you purchase a used 9, I would still recommend you do a break in period, for you though. And if you buy the 9, I'm sure your winds wont blow the 9 over.9's weigh right around the 800lb mark.

Get a 9, you will love it!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Frost!:welcome: I had only ridden sportbikes when I bought my 9 and aside from the forward controls and sitting position they biggest thing to watch out for...and I mean BE READY... Is the torque of this bike! Combined with the throttle response, It can catch you off guard when you first get on one! Hang on and enjoy!:bigthumbsup:
Same here I came from sportbikes, you should be ok my biggest adjustment was after take off I almost put my feet on the ground instead of reaching forward...just look out for that, other than that you control the power although you will have way more than your use to you still control it be safe and :welcome: to the family.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned a GS550E from '99 - '03. I stopped riding from '04 - March 2009, and recently bought the M109R. You will notice a difference in Torque and riding position. You'll find yourself putting your feet on the ground rather than putting them forward. Most of all, you will want to ride all day... in 40 degree weather - Chicago. Get the bike and enjoy. Respect its power and you'll be fine. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went from a Katana 600 to the 109, and the biggest challenge I had was getting use to the forward controls. Of course the 109 is much heavier, but that's all a balancing act. I will caution you though that the power of the 109 is awesome, and I agree, when you hit the throttle, hang on. And :welcome:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Hi Frost , if you know all about " counter-steering ",
no matter how heavy a bike is ,you will take it where you
want it to go , as for the forward pegs , I sometimes
contemplate the possibility of installing small pegs
right under the bike where "sports bike pegs" would
be , when I hit holes or big bumps I feel it in my spine
bad feeling...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
:agree: That would be my only 'warning' to keep in mind. The first time I rode one, I left the parking lot and was fine until it came time to make a left turn from a stop. I gave it a little throttle and it jumped so fast I almost didn't make the turn without hitting the curb, LOL!
After realizing how twitchy it is, I had no further issues. Just be aware of it and you'll be fine! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you get the JSD-3M or the Gipro you can eliminate alot of the the throtle twitchiness. As for the size of the bike I went from an old CB-450 took about twenty years off and bought the 109. Beacause of the Low center of gravity on the 109 it is really a pretty easy bike to ride. It does take a little muscle in the corners but I think you will like it very much.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
:agree: That would be my only 'warning' to keep in mind. The first time I rode one, I left the parking lot and was fine until it came time to make a left turn from a stop. I gave it a little throttle and it jumped so fast I almost didn't make the turn without hitting the curb, LOL!
After realizing how twitchy it is, I had no further issues. Just be aware of it and you'll be fine! :bigthumbsup:
:agree: :agree:....WATCH OUT for that throttle...there is NO in between
it's on or off...remember to feather the clutch and ya should be good.

Iffen ya don't f:edit:k up in the first 5 mins you'll love it :bigthumbsup: :D

Good luck man and :welcome:

·
Registered
772 Posts
:welcome: All of the info about the touchy throttle is right on the money, Take your time and allow yourself to adjust. If you have ever ridden a two stroke dirt bike and played with the power-band, that is as close as I can describe the feeling. Ride Safe!

CP

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would just say you should be a bit taller. 5'6 guys and smaller sometimes think they bike is too big.
Got this covered at least. :D

6'1" : 202lbs.

·
Radio Active Member
27,661 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. If you have been riding for three years , you will be fine. Like said above, you will just have to get used to the 9's characteristics. Let us know how the test ride goes and when you bring her home.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts