M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got up this morning I went to check my oil. I have read a couple of threads that mentioned being able to check it after leaving it sitting overnight. The dipstick was completely clean after I checked and triple rechecked. I go to ghe gas station and put 2 QT Castrol 4T 10w-40 in. Now it is filled to the max. What can happen with too much oil in the crankcase? I wont be able to get it fully serviced for a couple of weeks. Can I still ride or should I park it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
When I got up this morning I went to check my oil. I have read a couple of threads that mentioned being able to check it after leaving it sitting overnight. The dipstick was completely clean after I checked and triple rechecked. I go to ghe gas station and put 2 QT Castrol 4T 10w-40 in. Now it is filled to the max. What can happen with too much oil in the crankcase? I wont be able to get it fully serviced for a couple of weeks. Can I still ride or should I park it?
So did you do the warm up for 15 minutes and set for 2 minutes routine? If so you should be fine. If not I think about the only bad thing is the oil can be blown up into your air filters and drip down on your engine.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sound funny but I use a turkey baster (old One)to remove any extra oil ! I wouldnt ride it until you get it in the proper range

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Wow...:eek: :bdh:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If after doing the 15-3 to verify your findings that you are overfull, I would HIGHLY recommend that you stick a tube down the filler hole and remove some oil. Running overfull WILL make your bike puke oil.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You can pick up a little hand pump for 3 or 4 dollars at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and faster to just unscrew the drain plug and let some oil out?
:agree:just back it out a little until it starts to drain slowly.

Also, there is a reason for not checking your oil level cold and why the recommended procedure is to run it first. Dry sump oil system, like ours, need to be check just after shutdown because a significant amount of oil is only in the upper reaches while, and shortly after, the motor is running.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I would definatly do the 15-3, or at least take some out before hand, then check it.
I was in the Dealer the other day and was told they just got an addendum for checking the oil.
The bike has to be straight up ( not on the side stand ) Run it for 15 Mins. then stop for 3 Mins. After that, check oil. They told me that Suzuki was having too many air cleaner replacement's through dealers because oil was checked the old way & I guess they were pukeing oil. :dontknow: I do not know if anyone else has heard that.
Welcome to the most informative site around :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
508 Posts
When you say "it is filled to the max"..do you mean that it is at the top of the mark on the dipstick or what? Adding 2 qts seems like a lot to me.
If you are pretty sure there is too much oil then I would drain some out using one of the drain plugs. Then use the 15/3 method and add accordingly.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
When you did the cold check, did you screw the dipstick all the way back in before checking it? With the hot check you just place it in the hole, for the cold you screw it all the way in if you recheck it. Otherwise you just pull it out and see where it indicates. The difference is about the amount of hash marks on the stick.

And I don't recall which it is, but either the front or rear drain plug only drains out about a quart, the bulk comes out of the other plug. If your luck is like mine I would pull the wrong plug and drain too much.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Too much oil not only causes the bike to puke the oil out the air filter, it can also cause the oil to foam which then makes it hard for the oil pump to pick it up. You can guess the rest. No pumping=no pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts