M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking i want to tone down my scorpion exhaust. I like the sound at higher speeds, but town riding its got a tone thats pretty loud. Which i like, but wouldnt mind a little bit more mellow. Has anyone done any baffling or anything similar with the scorpion exhaust??

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Not a lot of space for a baffle left in there but still should be able to baffle them a little.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
if you wanted to baffle them, then it would have been best to install the baffles prior to welding on the tips. that way they would be more secure and stay in place. you can only use a 4" baffle at best, which isn't going to give you a great difference in db but it will change the tone slightly.

you can find the baffles at JP cycle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am thinking i want to tone down my scorpion exhaust. I like the sound at higher speeds, but town riding its got a tone thats pretty loud. Which i like, but wouldnt mind a little bit more mellow. Has anyone done any baffling or anything similar with the scorpion exhaust??
You could always trade it for a set of stock pipes with two of the three baffles drilled out, so you can start over! I'll volunteer to send mine to you and not ride until you get mine and then send me yours.:D

·
Registered
960 Posts
This thread scares me because I had my heart set on Scorpion Tips BUT I do not want constant blaring noise from the exhaust. I just want more sound and rumble than what I have now. Drilling out the baffles did little, IMO.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
This thread scares me because I had my heart set on Scorpion Tips BUT I do not want constant blaring noise from the exhaust. I just want more sound and rumble than what I have now. Drilling out the baffles did little, IMO.
NMClay-
get the tips, i guarantee you will love them. i do.

i too was concerned about how loud they would be and they aren't that loud compared to the sideburners or big shots. you will not have a constant blaring noise from the exhaust unless you are holding WOT all the time. at idle, they are very mellow and sound like pretty much any other aftermarket exhaust sounds like at idle. at take off it is deep and starts to growl a little but when you hit the WOT is when it comes alive. :evil:
it sounds great. trust me, they won't be too loud. best mounting angle is at 45 degrees.

buy with confidence. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:agree:I know that seems kinda odd...being im the one that posted this....but i agree. I rode again today and love it!!!......i think i was just ancy and lookin for a change:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like to hear what others have done and try new things.......thanks for all the input!!!!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Did you guys with tips, also drill out the cat? Just curious...

You could install some baffle tubes similar to the stock exhaust. That would muffle them some without causing too much back pressure.

It's doable, just need to get creative and test as you go..

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Did you guys with tips, also drill out the cat? Just curious...

You could install some baffle tubes similar to the stock exhaust. That would muffle them some without causing too much back pressure.

It's doable, just need to get creative and test as you go..
i left my cat intact del.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
i left my cat intact del.
I for one LOVE the way the STs sound. One of the best exhaust MODs you can do IMO. But with all the whiners complaining about loud bikes and actually getting laws passed to ticket riders. I can see where it's going.

Anyhoo, I'd bet that a baffle similar to how Flomaster does their Delta mufflers would work. It's nothing more than a V that catches the sound waves and bounce them back into the chamber. A little sheet metal and a few welds should be all that is needed.

Who wants to be the Ginnie Pig?

·
Registered
960 Posts
NMClay-
get the tips, i guarantee you will love them. i do.

i too was concerned about how loud they would be and they aren't that loud compared to the sideburners or big shots. you will not have a constant blaring noise from the exhaust unless you are holding WOT all the time. at idle, they are very mellow and sound like pretty much any other aftermarket exhaust sounds like at idle. at take off it is deep and starts to growl a little but when you hit the WOT is when it comes alive. :evil:
it sounds great. trust me, they won't be too loud. best mounting angle is at 45 degrees.

buy with confidence. :bigthumbsup:
:bigthumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to let me know. You can't beat the price and I almost always agree with your posts, so here I go! sandman told me he had somone to spot weld when I get them where I want them. Can they be welded on the bike or do you find the position of the tips, mark them, take off the pipes, then have them welded?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:bigthumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to let me know. You can't beat the price and I almost always agree with your posts, so here I go! sandman told me he had somone to spot weld when I get them where I want them. Can they be welded on the bike or do you find the position of the tips, mark them, take off the pipes, then have them welded?
you can go about it either way. the instructions suggest removing the exhaust but there have been a few members on here that have installed the tips while the exhaust was still on the bike. i guess it all depends on how comfortable you feel about doing the work with the exhaust on or off the bike.

personally, i had a friend do them. he did all the cutting and necessary adjustments to the exhaust with it off the bike, and then took the bike to a friend and had him finish it with the necessary welding.

if you want to hear them on a bike before making a decision, feel free to let me know and i can meet you somewhere in NW Indiana and let you check them out. i have friends and family in lake county and i'm over in that area pretty often on weekends.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I remember a post that someone bought some baffles from jc whitney for the scorpion tips. It was over a year ago at least. I remember reading this when I was deciding if I wanted the tips or not. They are not made for them but work. I tried finding the post but had no luck maybe someone else could find it for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts