M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks, today is officially the start of Lovebug's mating rituals where they fly through the air (in hundreds if not thousands) hooked together in a dog-knot and wind up splashed on your facemask or windshield.

Lovebugs have two seasons. One in spring after the rainy weather starts and the other is in the fall. In Alabama, the first signs of Lovebugs started today. I barely went 10 miles on my bike and had to stop at a gas station and clean all the Lovebug guts off my faceshield.

Unless you are the type of hard-core rider why doesn't mind bugs in their teeth, then wear a full-face helmet. Lovebugs are quite gritty and sour tasting and leave a bad taste in your mouth. After a couple Lovebug seasons I learned that a faceshield is a necessity when in Lovebug land.

You have been warned !!!!

mania

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I can't believe you posted this :D I just rode over to my DAD'S House in Jacksonville, He lives in densmore area any way, I came off 295 and started going threw the neighborhoods close to my Dad's and BLAAAMMMM I'm hit by a shower of love bugs I couldn't believe it,I started to turn around but didn't ,and hit one more swarm of them a little way's down.The bike wasn't that bad but my helmet looked like it had been in a paint ball war :eek: I said to myself You need one of those face Shields like the race car driver's use, with the pull away film :bigthumbsup: silent

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I saw something about these (or bugs similar to these) on the news a while back. When their season started in this one town, they were so bad they covered the roads with their carcuses and caused very slippery conditions for drivers, and especially riders. I think it may have been mayflies or something thought.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I don't miss them things at all ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
They Are really bad here in South MS, they will cover your car when your sitting at a red light and forget about not wearing a full face helmet.

I hate those things. :edit:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks for the memories...I was stationed in Fla and can still taste those nasty critters...Glad I'm In California where I might be swallowed by an Earthquake...

G

·
I thought this was another joke!! Never heard of them up here in Wisconsin!! These bugs seem to cause a lot of problems though!! Here's a pic I found on the net.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep, that be what left of some of those little buggers :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
hellrazr72 said:
I thought this was another joke!! Never heard of them up here in Wisconsin!! These bugs seem to cause a lot of problems though!! Here's a pic I found on the net.....

They are the nastiest little ba$tard$ in the world :edit: :cus: :realmad: :barf: This picture provides a good example of what your vehicle can look like, but I've actually seen it even worse, much worse! I'm in southern Louisiana, and they are really bad down here. I was caught once in a swarm that lasted for about 1/2 mile or longer, in the beginning of the season without my full face helmet, and I'm not kidding when I tell you that I was picking them out of my teeth. Frankly, during their 3 week or so mating ritual, I perfer to just leave the bike at home, especially during day light hours. They don't seem to be as bad at night once the sun is down. The only thing I think that is worse than picking them out of your teeth is having to clean them out of every nook and cranny of your bike!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm not sure were they came from or how they got here other than than fly.
But the best thing I've heard to counter there attack is to wipe the front area's of your bike with a thin film on Vaseline :D so when the rides over you can just use a soapy rag and wash here up real quick without a lot of elbow grease :bigthumbsup:
Best thing going!any takers :dontknow: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts