M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally installing my PC-V and have the air box off the engine. When I look through the intake I can see some buildup under the throttle plates of the throttle bodies. On a car I would just use a spray cleaner to clean these areas prior to reassembly. Is it safe to do the same on this bike?:dontknow:

Smitty

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The only problem with spraying it is that everything will end up further down the intake tract. I would spray some carb cleaner or Mass Air Flow Cleaner on a lint free rag or towell and wipe out the gunk.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problem with spraying it is that everything will end up further down the intake tract. I would spray some carb cleaner or Mass Air Flow Cleaner on a lint free rag or towell and wipe out the gunk.
Agreed. After looking a little closer with a flashlight, I can see both intake valves in each cylinder. I would guess that the contaminents that I can't reach should run through the cylinders and out the exhaust. Thoughts?

Smitty

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Agreed. After looking a little closer with a flashlight, I can see both intake valves in each cylinder. I would guess that the contaminents that I can't reach should run through the cylinders and out the exhaust. Thoughts?

Smitty
what about cleaning it then using q-tips to wipe out the contaminante further in?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
like most cars and trucks, the throttle body has a "like" varnish coating protecting the inside. I'm sure the bikes have a similar coating inside. The coating washes away with carb cleaner, use throttle body cleaner only. It's sold next to the carb cleaner. The coating prevents quick build up of the black crap next to the throttle plates.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
like most cars and trucks, the throttle body has a "like" varnish coating protecting the inside. I'm sure the bikes have a similar coating inside. The coating washes away with carb cleaner, use throttle body cleaner only. It's sold next to the carb cleaner. The coating prevents quick build up of the black crap next to the throttle plates.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done. I don't know if it was the cleaning or the PC-V, but this thing runs great!

Smitty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts