M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my 9 for almost three years (which is an eternity for me I'm usually a new bike every other year guy) I traded in an '05 Gsxr 1000 for my 9, and lately I've been missing the sportbike world again. :'(
Wondering if anyone here has had the same problems....

I'm looking (thinking) to trade the nine in on a second generation 'Busa, or a ZX-14. Still have some of the comfort, but all of the speed/fun.

I guess I'm looking for people to talk me out of it. I haven't put hardly any miles on my bike in the past three years either (only 4,000 mi) and I think that is a sign for me too. I love the bike, just doesn't have the sportbike feel, or I guess the word I'm looking for is mystique? The Aura?? I dunno...

My problem is that I'm a big guy (6' 270ish) not too old (35) and I'm comfortable on the 9, and I know that was one of the reasons I got rid of the Gsxr 1K... I'm thinking the Busa and the big Ninja are going to "fit" me better than the liter-bikes, but am worried I'll be in the same boat again in 2 years.

Grrrr.... Oh well, most of this is just to make a pro/con list, and the other part is to get some other people's opinions.

So, what do you all think?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
its your bike. make your own bad mistakes. :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a noob on this board, but the reason I'm here is the opposite from you. I have a GSXR600 and am afraid I've grown a bit long in the tooth for it. Not that it isn't fun, but I'm way past the age at which my peers stopped riding pure sportbikes. Plus, my neck and wrists hurt after an hour in the saddle. I was looking for input here on how it feels to ditch the gixxer and buy a 9. Your post actually helped confirm that there is no right, final answer. Still, I understand your point. No matter how you try, you cannot make a cruiser, even a fast one, feel like a sportbike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a noob on this board, but the reason I'm here is the opposite from you. I have a GSXR600 and am afraid I've grown a bit long in the tooth for it. Not that it isn't fun, but I'm way past the age at which my peers stopped riding pure sportbikes. Plus, my neck and wrists hurt after an hour in the saddle. I was looking for input here on how it feels to ditch the gixxer and buy a 9. Your post actually helped confirm that there is no right, final answer. Still, I understand your point. No matter how you try, you cannot make a cruiser, even a fast one, feel like a sportbike.
I don't miss my GSXR1000, I just miss having a sportbike. That's why I'm looking into a 'busa or zx-14. The Gsxr was too hardcore for riding more than about 30 minutes for me. Although those 30 min were a hell of a lot of fun! :drool:
I'm looking for something sporty that I can still comfortably rack the miles up on. I'm not riding the 9 enough and I think its a subconscious thing....

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Keep the 9 and get a busa or zx14. Enjoy the comforts of both worlds, when you want to cruise hop on the 9 and when you have the need for way more speed, jump on the sport bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep the 9 and get a busa or zx14. Enjoy the comforts of both worlds, when you want to cruise hop on the 9 and when you have the need for way more speed, jump on the sport bike.
If I could do this I wouldn't have this dilemma!

I have a budget for my two wheeled toys, and that would definitely exceed that limit. I would have to keep my 9 for a couple more years before that would happen, and I think if I don't switch now (or keep it for that matter) I'll regret the next two years. Plus once its paid off, I'm sure the wifey isn't gonna be all about me getting another 5 year loan :swear:

·
Registered
310 Posts
keep the 9

i have also traded my 05 gsxr1000 for the 07 m109r and im 6"1 230 and 33 years old i have also had a 00 gsxr600 both rockets fully customed chromed head to toe..the speed was great ,but the comfort sucked..always liked suzuki the gixxers were bullet proof,but would never give up my m109r..theres just something bout pullin up to those harleys with the skinny tires...lol and out piping them and out runnin them!!!KEEP THE 9!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I dont know...Its your call

Been down that road,had a zx12 wnet to ZX14 and got rid ofthe zx14 for the m109. the only time I really miss my monster ( zx14) Is when im ridding with guys on sports bikes. I can tell you this put you rmoney upgeta zx14 and keep the m109. Have the best of both worlds. i plan on getting another Zx14, I see them for 6000.00 all day i would take a busa if price was right though.I see them cheap also 2001-up. thats the beauty of one of the big litter bikes zx12-zx14-busa they will run most bikes no matter how old they are.I would take any of these bikes from 2001 up with low miles and they are out there. I am 6.6 and 300lbs and its hard to find a comfortable bike, but I did a trip to your city and I didnt like it at all on the zx14. It was a fast ride but i payed for it I relly needed highway pegs on it..lol

I don't miss my GSXR1000, I just miss having a sportbike. That's why I'm looking into a 'busa or zx-14. The Gsxr was too hardcore for riding more than about 30 minutes for me. Although those 30 min were a hell of a lot of fun! :drool:
I'm looking for something sporty that I can still comfortably rack the miles up on. I'm not riding the 9 enough and I think its a subconscious thing....

:dontknow:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The fever for a super sports bike will pass

I was having it to but I dump so much money into my bike this year I could have bought me another bike.. A few months ago i saw a zx14 for sale in Madison, Wi. I was like Fra:edit:kkk.maybe next year i will do another bike but I think i am going to get old with the 9,may change it to a full bagger if I get me a zx14 then Ill be complete. Nothing gets looks like a m109 man I am amazed at how littel kids love this bike compared to my sports bikes, When i had the zx14 all I heard was stand it up, and now on the m109 jaws and panties drop.The M109 is eye candyand the Zx14 well it s just fast you wont get no looks on that when you ride one other than the cops...lol...You just cant help to do 100 arond town on that bike.. its frekin fast..0-60 in YEA neck breaking speed

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Sell your 9 to Kindered spirit, buy yourself a big fat sport bike and 5 years from now buy a 109 again

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
With only 4,000 miles in 3 years you really aren't riding it much. Did you ride your sport bikes more? If I wanted something sporty and still comfortable to ride, I'd get a Concours. More power than the 109, comfortable on long rides, just not the Wow factor the 109 has IMHO. But it's all about the riding and which would get you on the road the most.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So I've had my 9 for almost three years (which is an eternity for me I'm usually a new bike every other year guy) I traded in an '05 Gsxr 1000 for my 9, and lately I've been missing the sportbike world again. :'(
Wondering if anyone here has had the same problems....

I'm looking (thinking) to trade the nine in on a second generation 'Busa, or a ZX-14. Still have some of the comfort, but all of the speed/fun.

I guess I'm looking for people to talk me out of it. I haven't put hardly any miles on my bike in the past three years either (only 4,000 mi) and I think that is a sign for me too. I love the bike, just doesn't have the sportbike feel, or I guess the word I'm looking for is mystique? The Aura?? I dunno...

My problem is that I'm a big guy (6' 270ish) not too old (35) and I'm comfortable on the 9, and I know that was one of the reasons I got rid of the Gsxr 1K... I'm thinking the Busa and the big Ninja are going to "fit" me better than the liter-bikes, but am worried I'll be in the same boat again in 2 years.

Grrrr.... Oh well, most of this is just to make a pro/con list, and the other part is to get some other people's opinions.

So, what do you all think?
you can pick up most sports bikes for less then a dime you got the 9 keep it go extream with it or not they will stop the production on the 9 you will be one of the few to have one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
*COUGH*...*hack*... *grunt*...*(&@)$&*%@*% *BETTA GETTA SUZUKI B-KING**$&%&#@#*WHILE THERE'S STILL A FEW AVAILABLE*@HACK**!*$y!%(%!$&%

Dang... I must have something in my throat...

But Seriously... The B-King man... it's the motorcycle Industry's best kept "secret". :nojoke:

Oh.... wait... I'm supposed to talk you OUT of selling your 109...
:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe the new Z1000? You get to sit upright for comfort and it has sporty handling and speed. It also looks different than anything else out there much like our Nines.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DOnt trade, just keep and buy something new and add to the stable.
I really wish I could do that, but my wife and I don't see eye to eye on that subject. Especially in this economy.

I was thinking of a B-King, but then I'm in the same touring problem I have with my 9>>> No windshield. I've tried the suzuki touring and the rifle soloshield and both look like a** on the 9. I'm assuming there is no touring optional windshield for the BKing..... Plus I'd HAVE to get exhaust for it, since it's hideous to me. More $ spent.....

As far as being one of the few lucky people to ride and own an M109R, there are a ton for sale lately, so I'm sure I'll be able to find one in a few years if I go back to one. Maybe I'll even get the Orange one (sexxxxx!:)

I don't know what to do, and I have one of those spur of the moment impulse buying mentalities.... They are selling brand new '09 Busas for $9500 at a local dealership, so tempting.:confused:

I know I'll miss my 9. I just think that me not putting miles on it is a sign. Yes, I used to put more miles on my sportbikes.
Grrr, I don't know what to do. Anyone want to donate to my cause? Maybe throw me an older busa to play around on for a while? :p

·
Registered
602 Posts
I really wish I could do that, but my wife and I don't see eye to eye on that subject. Especially in this economy.

I was thinking of a B-King, but then I'm in the same touring problem I have with my 9>>> No windshield. I've tried the suzuki touring and the rifle soloshield and both look like a** on the 9. I'm assuming there is no touring optional windshield for the BKing..... Plus I'd HAVE to get exhaust for it, since it's hideous to me. More $ spent.....

As far as being one of the few lucky people to ride and own an M109R, there are a ton for sale lately, so I'm sure I'll be able to find one in a few years if I go back to one. Maybe I'll even get the Orange one (sexxxxx!:)

I don't know what to do, and I have one of those spur of the moment impulse buying mentalities.... They are selling brand new '09 Busas for $9500 at a local dealership, so tempting.:confused:

I know I'll miss my 9. I just think that me not putting miles on it is a sign. Yes, I used to put more miles on my sportbikes.
Grrr, I don't know what to do. Anyone want to donate to my cause? Maybe throw me an older busa to play around on for a while? :p
There are a few windshields for the B-King that actually don't look that bad, but the designs are all over the map... I've never been one for the look of windsheilds on bikes that don't have them already, that's why my BK's stock in that department.

But that said, I don't know that you'd really need one. I've done three days cross-country on the B-King, and didn't find the wind bad at all. I dunno if it's just the shape of the headlight or what, but the wind protection on it isn't that bad. I mean, it's not like the wind disappears like a full touring windshield - but it's much better than I expected (in fact, better than the 109 was w/o a windshield).

I'm with ya on the stock exhausts. Slip on exhausts can be had for about $500-600 on ebay for 2bros or Yoshi... Or, do like I did and buy one with slip-on's installed by the dealer. That's about as cheap as you can get on any bike...

A few quick points -
- The bike has a GREAT riding position, so if you were uncomfortable on a Gixxer, it won't be a problem on the BK.

- A couple of slices and dices, and it goes from something unique and a little weird to a fantastic looking bike (exhaust + bar end mirrors = instant aggressive streetfighter look, in my case).

- Grab some soft bags, and it's absolutely worthy of the weekend tour, save the pseudo small gas tank (bout 150 mile range).

Note: Pic below taken in Utah, I live in Illinois... and no, I did not trailer the bike out there.

- Oh. And... well... err.... 167HP, 100 Lbs-ft of torque, bone stock. It's very mildly de-tuned from the Busa to give it a little more low end oomph, but it pulls. Hard. Very, Very Hard.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts