M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been having trouble with my knee for the better part of 3 years. 2007 I had it scoped to remove a cyst under my kneecap, and clean up some cartilage. End of 2008 I tore ACL in the same knee, and had it "repaired" in January last year. I have had nothing but problems with it since. I cant keep my knee bent for longer than 10 minutes; it constantly locks up on me (particularly when I'm sleeping and I roll over); its swollen up on me here and there; and there's been times where its flat out given out on me and I almost land on my ass. My doctor now wants to do a "knee reconstruction", because he believes the repair they did on the ACL might not have taken, and he thinks I've done some damage to the meniscus. I've got an MRI scheduled for tonight, and he said that if they do the reconstruction, its about 3 weeks on crutches, and 6 month recovery. Now, I'm a tough sumbitch, and my leg hurts every day all day; some days are better than others, it just depends on what I do. I just wonder if they do need to do the surgery, should I give up on riding this year and schedule it as soon as possible, or should I wait until around Sept/Oct (still good riding months, I know). From my ACL repair that I had last year in January, I was back out riding by end of March. Anyone who's had a similar operation, how long did it take ya before you got back on the road?

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
I snapped off the top of my tibia and tore the ACL and it was a full 6 months (plus) to recover. That was when I was in my 20's. I imagine it would take longer now that I am an old fart! I've had a number of other (arthroscopic) surgeries on my knees since then. Those are much less recovery time.

My only suggestion is to consider waiting until you are past the sweating season because casts in the summer suck royally (IF you are even going to need a cast, that is...) Whenever you have it done, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
dude if you can stand it id wait...(check avatar)......it sucks being casted in the summer and seeing and hearing all the bikes ride by and not being able to ride kills me. and the fact that you cant do anything out side for very long because you will seat your arse off with a cast on. its like wearing a tall ski boot ALL THE TIME!!!

so id say if you can; wait but if you think it needs to be done. do it your health and well being are the most important things.:bigthumbsup: good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
976 Posts
From the sound of it, it is hurting your ride anyway. My question is it your braking leg or your shifting leg? If it is your braking leg I would say go ahead and get the surgery. You wouldn't want you leg to give out when doing a panic stop. If it is your shift leg go ahead and wait until the end of the season if you can stand it, just don't plan to do anything but cruise until surgery.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've had ACL, MCL issues, crushed Patella and have had 2, 3 inch screws since 89'. I'd wait til November for the surgery that way you've recovered by May of 11'. How are you on crutches in the snow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts