M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... a M109.
In March of 06 I purchased a Honda Big Ruckus (250cc Scooter) and have 2000 miles on it. I love my scooter and plan to keep it for riding around town and short trips. Oh, did I mention that this was my first powered 2 wheel vehicle?
I'm taking the Motorcycle Safety Course at the end of the month and plan to purchase a bike shortly after the course.  I'm not to comfortable with clutch bikes (of course my scooter is an auto) and hope the class will help me with this.  Anyway, all the bikes I've looked at just don't do it for me like the M109 does. I sat on one and started it up and almost soiled my jeans :redfaced:
Am I making too big a jump in bike size? Can I buy a smaller bike and add aftermarket parts to make it look similar to the M109?
Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
289 Posts
:welcome:

As for you buying a M? That's up to you.... I had a Honda VTX1300 and then bought the M, WOW, highly impressed with this cruiser compared to the VTX and any other bike I had in the past. It's extremely fast, rides very nice, looks awesome, and my opinion is the best buy for the $$$.
Going forward, there's people on here never road a bike until they bought a M. Ask BigBen, he's absolutely lovin his.
I reccommend you try to find dealers of different manufactures that will let you test drive... I think you would agree, for the price, the M will be hard to beat...
Questions you might want to ask yourself:
What type of riding you like? (Across country, daily rider, weekend warrior)
How often you plan to ride? (Justify spending the $$ to let something sit around)
Plan to ride 2-up or mainly a single rider?

Either way, whatever you pick. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I recommend the MSF course first and foremost since you aren't used to using a clutch and shifting gears. This is a whole lotta bike to learn on. This is my very first bike, but it isn't the first bike I have ridden. The first bike I ever rode was a Vulcan 600 a couple years ago and then my uncle let me drive his Road King Classic. That was a lot of bike, especially when it came to slow maneuvers. The first day I got the 109 I almost embarrassed myself with the very touchy throttle. I gave a little too much, and it yanked me back which in turn made me twist the throttle even more. Luckily I had the sense to grip the clutch before I shot out into the very busy traffic. I can say I recommend the 109 as a first bike, but obviously I can't "not" recommend it either. I would definitely get the basics down before straddling this beast though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as usage... I am a travel nurse and will be traveling about 130 miles each day (Baton Rouge to New Orleans on I-10) My scooter has a top speed of 75 and I've been on interstates with it for short trips (3 or 4 miles). I don't think I can take it that far (65 miles each way) at top speed. So far, my scooter has been a daily driver rain or shine and I plan to do the same with a new bike. I do own a car and plan to drive it during Hurricanes :eek:

Thanks for the insight so far...

- Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some H-D dealers rent motorcycles...rent 1 for the weekend and get use to riding with a clutch. If something happens to the bike, who cares, it's a rental. This will give you a chance to get comfortable changing gears with a clutch and not risk downing your own bike if or when you buy a 109.
JR...could  you post a larger pick of the blonde on the 'busa?  :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm from Harahan and the M was my very first bike, so I did (its got a hairy trigger) the parking lot thing for a while, then my back roads, and now I've been to baton rouge, slidell, covington, etc. getting ready for out of state drives, and the only thing I can say is I'm so happy that I bought what I was going to be riding (tried friends bikes).

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hmm, I am with JR on this. The not comfortable with the clutch thing would worry me. This is my first street bike, but like others I have ridden many, plus dirt bikes and quads and snowmobiles etc. If you had more of a motorized toy background I would say yes. How about a stick in a car?? done that? are you confident driving your car or timid? How about on the Scooter?
I would take the course first. if you scare yourself there go buy a smaller used bike. If you take to the clutch like a duck to water then maybe but please be very careful in the beginning.

Sledzep

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally I would recommend a Vulcan 800 or M50 for about 6 months first.
Buy a used cheapie then trade up.
Maybe not what you want to hear but those type of bikes are pretty docile but fast enough to get into trouble
Stay safe
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've said this in another post, and I'll repeat it here. The M109 is a machine to drool over, and if you have your sights set on it, you won't be entirely happy until you get it. However, I would recommend getting a used smaller bike for a year or two. The C50 or M50 Suzukis are great bikes, and will easily handle anything you are ready to put them to. After you are really comfortable with that, then upgrade. Buying the used bike to start will help absorb that depreciation, and you won't feel quite so bad if you lay it down (common with new riders).
Most of all....BE CAREFUL no matter what you get. Almost anything out there is more than what you are used to. Let yourself be a bit timid of the bike for a while, that will help keep your focus.
Enjoy whatever you get.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i dont want to scare ya, but the m is a heck of a bike. this is my second bike and its taken me awhile to get used to it. the no clutch experience scares me a little. i would also recommend a smaller cruiser and a trade up. atleast you have some motorcycling knowledge with the scooter. i would really give some thought to what el said about the parking lot thing and maybe some backroads. i know its hard, but if you could really get some practice time around no traffic, i'd say go for it. go with your head and be careful.

·
Registered
411 Posts
alone you asking these questions is reason enough to buy the M. If you were a beginner that had the attitude " I can ride anything bla bla bla, then I would recommend a smaller bike. The M109 is easy to balance. It rides like a dream solo or 2 up. It has power +++ :D I can only speak for myself but I wouldn´t buy a t-bone if I really wanted rib eye ;) You catch my drift. Like many others here have said, if you get the chance pratice up somewhat with using a clutch, never ever lose RESPECT for the machine and you will be allright. JMHO I don´t think there is a bike out on the market that is better priced for that much machine. It took Suzuki awhile but I think they have got a winner on their hands now :bigthumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts