M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been considering an Arnott Air Ride for quite awhile but in researching I have found several wh are very unhappy with Arnott and with their product. I just want to know who has an Arnott and what you think of it? Does it make the ride more comfortable... or is it just for looks? Is it reliable? If you had it to do over again would you do it again... or would you just stick with stock?

All opinions and comments welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
So I have been considering an Arnott Air Ride for quite awhile but in researching I have found several wh are very unhappy with Arnott and with their product. I just want to know who has an Arnott and what you think of it? Does it make the ride more comfortable... or is it just for looks? Is it reliable? If you had it to do over again would you do it again... or would you just stick with stock?

Thanks!
I had the Arnott for about 1 week before it sprang a leak. It went flat while on the freeway at 80mph--not a good feeling!:redfaced: Luckily I had the remote control unit so each time it went flat I pulled over and re-inflated it until I made it home. I immediately sent it back for a full refund. Wouldn't do it again. I lowered it 1 1/2 inches and reinstalled the OEM shock. If I need a firmer or softer ride, I'll just adjust the shock.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
From the info I have taken... just 4 looks...don't waste the $$$, stock is better.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts

Thanks!
dont waste ya money it is just for looks, scrapes every corner.

i bet no one can ride it fully dumped, mabe if your not turning any corners or leaning it over at all .

if they say then can they are pullin there johnson!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have my second Arnott (probably several here do, because of the leak-problem some time ago, but I got it fixed via warranty very quickly)..however the ride comfort (I mean air ride shock comfort and adjustment possibilities themselves) is the best I've tried so far and I wouldn't trade it for anything and for sure would buy it again..mostly because it's separate shock+airbag..not like "other" air-balloons you're jumping around in corners..
Obviously if you're going to lower the bike there will be cornering issues (Arnott at flat down is shorter than stock shock so driving is pretty impossible, like scotty109 already mentioned), so If you're going for any air ride, you must consider also some additional modifications...but I guess that's the price for comfort and looks..
Now that I have all done this and I would have to buy new m109r that I would keep mostly "stock looking" bike.. I would stick with lowering bones..:dontknow:

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i love my arnott, the only problem that i had was a leaky manifold. and hink had one of his buddies make different ones for us. not sure if he is still making these or not.

but i say go for it!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
love mine ride is very very comfortable. no leak problem but i got one of hinks manifolds to be safe. :bigthumbsup::doorag:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Arnott changed to a junk manifold that was plastic. Hink had them redone and many people are happy. However, on top of that problem, Arnott lied stating they never heard of the shock hitting the swingarm and causing it to leak. Well after the fact of it being returned by Giddyup109, they then admitted the problem and were working on a solution. That company used to be about customer service. After hearing about Giddyup's dealings with them, and talking to them myself about his situation (I was helping him), I lost a lot of respect for them.

I do believe that if you can get one of Hink's manifolds, you should be good to go. However, I prefer to ride and not have to worry about it springing a leak while I am enjoying the day and having to limp home.

·
Registered
459 Posts
:agree: Love my Arnott airride. Would not go back to stock. The ride is like night and day. Also did Hink's manifold from the start and no leaks or problems what so ever. Slam it when parked for the look and air it up to about the same as 2" lowering bones when riding, but the ride is so much better than stock shock. Also if you ride someone you can just air it up some more so no scraping or bottoming out. Try that with regular lowering bones.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
....mostly because it's separate shock+airbag..not like "other" air-balloons you're jumping around in corners..:dontknow:
Can anyone tell me more about these subjects ..
- Is there anything written on that Arnott shock ??
- the separate shock and air bag composition ( ??? )
- the lenght of the shock fully extended
- the lenght of the shock when weight of the bike is on it. ( + 1 rider )
- the lenght of the shock fully compressed ...
since I have seen Square Rounder's thread about making
our own air ride I have been talking to a guy I work with
who built his own " Low Rider " car ,with a Monte Carlo ,
and he was telling me about bags in shocks ,and if I get it right
the Arnott shock is mentionned to have the bag and shock separated ???
I was told we should find out what the " every day riding lenght "
of the shock is ( that would be parked with one person sitting on bike )
and then , find a shock that is longer than that ,
but when compressed at 40 % of it's range of motion , will give us
the "every day riding lenght " .

So I'm trying to put together as much info as I can ,
I would get Hink's manifold , a small compressor and a shock that
works the way mentionned in previous paragraph .
Any comments are welcome on this subject :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I love mine .When it is up all the way I very seldom drag . This is important as my pipe touches down before the foot peg so there is no give to the right.I like the ride and mine does bleed down at nite but not while I am riding.And parked well pictures say it,Gregg

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,077 Posts
I had the KewlMetal and found it neat to slam the bike when parked. But then you have to inflate it again to ride, and getting it set to the height you like means some adjusting.

I think with bones they look just fine and it's a trouble free mod. I doubt very many that have an air ride actually adjust them for the riding conditions. It's another one of those things everyone likes to have just to say they have one, which was part of the reason I had mine. Peer pressure is a biotch. :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I really appreciate all the insight and would like to hear more. Personally my main reason for thinking about doing this is comfort. I love my bike but after a 300 mile day I really only want visiting rights for the next few days. This summer my BFC Chapter is planing on riding to Sturgis... that's about a 1200 mile ride... I don't know if I would make it past day 2... Long Hauls are a pain literally for me. So if it will increase comfort... I am game for that. But if it's a waste or I have the potential of being sidelined because of a poor quality I think instead... and i know this is a huge cop out... but a trailer may be my best option. That way when I get there i am fresh and can ride all the rides and go up into Montana (where I was raised) and see the familiar sites of home and wear myself out enjoying the Mountains instead of burning myself out in Kansas and Nebraska.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I reckon air is a pain in the buttocks...its a looker thing more than anything else...thoughs who have air drop there bikes when parked wouldnt want a quick get away...bloody things take forever to go back up..:cus:.
.Bloody fiddly to get it right,fiddly to get it suited to your weight,style of riding and i think everyone who has one has had some sort of trouble with it..and some still have hassels after its fitted and you think your happy with it.!
Scotty sold me his...but didnt tell me how crappy this unit was..had it on my bike for about 4 days then off it went..! I forgive you Scott;)

Just a Johnson stroker thing..!
Just my opinion..:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I reckon air is a pain in the buttocks...its a looker thing more than anything else...thoughs who have air drop there bikes when parked wouldnt want a quick get away...bloody things take forever to go back up..:cus:.
.Bloody fiddly to get it right,fiddly to get it suited to your weight,style of riding and i think everyone who has one has had some sort of trouble with it..and some still have hassels after its fitted and you think your happy with it.!
Scotty sold me his...but didnt tell me how crappy this unit was..had it on my bike for about 4 days then off it went..! I forgive you Scott;)

Just a Johnson stroker thing..!
Just my opinion..:bigthumbsup:
couldnt believe it when you rang and said it was leaking ...............****in thing. Atleast old mate came good and sent you a new part.

:-* who is the poor bastard has it now?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I doubt very many that have an air ride actually adjust them for the riding conditions. It's another one of those things everyone likes to have just to say they have one, which was part of the reason I had mine. Peer pressure is a biotch. :D
Curiously honest post! :doorag:

With soooo many aftermarket products that sound good on paper, if you start having issues & failures with them (and you spent big bucks on it) it quickly turns into a major PITA!

If the air rides were fail proof and worked perfectly and lasted I'd be more interested. I would be one of the riders that would constantly adjust it's height depending on the road conditions, my speed, whether I'm up in the mountains....etc. But I'm sure the majority get it so that the bike just looks cool when it's slammed down and parked out in the parking lot of their favorite watering hole.

I love making my bike look good as well, but ultimately I'll choose rideability & less maintenance headaches over looks whenever possible.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Curiously honest post! :doorag:

With soooo many aftermarket products that sound good on paper, if you start having issues & failures with them (and you spent big bucks on it) it quickly turns into a major PITA!

If the air rides were fail proof and worked perfectly and lasted I'd be more interested. I would be one of the riders that would constantly adjust it's height depending on the road conditions, my speed, whether I'm up in the mountains....etc. But I'm sure the majority get it so that the bike just looks cool when it's slammed down and parked out in the parking lot of their favorite watering hole.

I love making my bike look good as well, but ultimately I'll choose rideability & less maintenance headaches over looks whenever possible.
Well, I guess I am one of your few.

When I want to be in the twists, I am up to stock height to gain the clearance and firm ride.

When I have a stretch of highway to do, I am dropped about 2" where it is cushy and rides like a Cadi.

When I am 2 up, I put it to about a 2" drop with the weight and it is more comfy that my Ultra Classics.

When I park, it is slammed for the look, but this is more of a bonus than a reason to have it.

I went air ride for the adjustability and I use it for that purpose.

Now, I have had an issue or two.

I had a check valve that collected some gunk and leaked, but Arnott sent me a replacement with no grief. While replacing it, I realized it just needed cleaned, so now I have two check valves in line.

I have the metal manifold, so I can not speak to the plastic manifold issue. However, you do not really need the manifold, as a simple T fitting will do the trick. (2 of the 5 ports on the manifold are plugged in our application and are for the optional pressure gauge and use in a dual piston application)

I have also had my relay get water in it and corrode. I will take credit for that one and when I replaced it, I mounted it in a position that water would not be an issue and sealed the open end with a layer of hot glue.

So, have the issues been worth it? Smell Yes!! My bike can run hard in the turns, be a cushy solo cruiser or give my wife the Cadi ride she is looking for, and look bad ars slammed to the ground while parked, all at the touch of a button.

Sure, it is one more thing to maintain, but what makes nearly as big of a difference on the bike that does not require some special attention?

The 280 makes installing the wheel a chore.

My PCV with Autotune takes periodic adjustments to maximize gains for big temperature changes.

My trunk took untold hours of work to get it where I wanted it.

So, the question on any major impact change is: Are you getting enough out of it for what you need to put into it?

For me, the answer is yes. If you are not going to adjust to the ride and just want to slam it when it is parked, then it may not be.

Only you can make that call for you bike.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
So, have the issues been worth it? Smell Yes!! My bike can run hard in the turns, be a cushy solo cruiser or give my wife the Cadi ride she is looking for, and look bad ars slammed to the ground while parked, all at the touch of a button.

Sure, it is one more thing to maintain, but what makes nearly as big of a difference on the bike that does not require some special attention?

The 280 makes installing the wheel a chore.

My PCV with Autotune takes periodic adjustments to maximize gains for big temperature changes.

My trunk took untold hours of work to get it where I wanted it.

So, the question on any major impact change is: Are you getting enough out of it for what you need to put into it?

For me, the answer is yes. If you are not going to adjust to the ride and just want to slam it when it is parked, then it may not be.

Only you can make that call for you bike.
It appears that your computer is stuck on continual double space mode.

You may need to get that checked out ASAP!

:eek:

:joke:

Crap! Now you've infected my computer!!!!! :D

I think I would test my friends 109 bike that has the air ride system (if he'd let me) first before I made the decision to "invest" in one. I have the 1.5" lowering bones and ride the shock on setting 4 with the gel seat and feel like the bike rides terrific with this setup. If I'm gonna spend $700, $800, $900 for an air ride system it better work as advertised, not leak, feel like I'm riding on clouds and let me ride the curves 10mph faster than I currently can. Then I'd be sold.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Don't believe the people that say it is just for looks. They must not have ever tried the Arnott air ride.

Mine is for looks but it also give me a lot better ride than the stock shock did and it is adjustable for a passenger or for the ride hieght that I want at the time. Yes I adjust mine up or down almost everytime I go for a ride. I don't have to do that but I like being able to go with it raised when I am hitting the twisties or slammed when I am cruises and someplace in between with a passenger.

Get it and you will love it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I do like the ride with mine, although I have a small air leak. We're working on trying to get it fixed.

It does have a cool factor as well;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts