M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the elite 3 on my bike and if I were to buy a tire right now it wouldn't be this one. I would buy the metzler it will ride better and be a bit wider.I know because I had one on and I loved it till I got a nail in it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The 250 Elite 3 is on national backorder right now :confused: No one that I checked with has any and they don't plan on getting them any time soon.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ok not sure how this is going to sound but i have for the most part use the Dunlops tires for most of my bikes and i have seen where the Mez are or have improve their tire when i first started seeing the Mez i heard a lot of people stated that they did not handle in wet weather (this was a few years back) and these was people who was on sport bikes back than, and most of them would dump the bike when it was raining so they say due to the tires..........but here recently i have seen where alot of people are going to the Mez tire and i have read up on them and they state they are good in wet weather.........a guy i know swears by Mez and he dont like the Dunlops and me being the open minded person i am i figure i would try and see what type of information i could get from people who may have use both or who like the Mez..........and maybe this can help someone who may have either hear the same thing or though the same thing

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm happy with my Metzeler so far. I went with the 240. I spend a LOT of time on my M in the mountains and didn't want to increase what is already heavy-handed steering by going to a 260. I butted the Metz up to the Dunlop after they pulled it off the rim and couldn't tell any difference in the width. The missus and I had a fairly long ride in the rain last weekend and the Metz handled really well.

Here's a link to what happened just before replacing the Dunlop :hot::

:Click: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j13/ILUVMYM109R/?action=view&current=081306_1216a.flv

·
Registered
686 Posts
So I know a LOT of people here like the tires for the twisty roads, cornering, etc....but the VAST majority of my riding will be 40 minutes each way on a freeway commute 5 days a week (good weather pending). With that in mind, which tire will hold out the longest for me? I know I'll probably have to sacrifice some performance as the performance / sport tires are generally softer compound to make them more 'sticky'.
and no.....I really don't want to try to mount that car tire on my bike. :)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
rideutah said:
So I know a LOT of people here like the tires for the twisty roads, cornering, etc....but the VAST majority of my riding will be 40 minutes each way on a freeway commute 5 days a week (good weather pending). With that in mind, which tire will hold out the longest for me? I know I'll probably have to sacrifice some performance as the performance / sport tires are generally softer compound to make them more 'sticky'.
and no.....I really don't want to try to mount that car tire on my bike. :)
Avon Venom R's have a hard tire compound. They are a high mileage tire. I just recently installed a Venom 250/40-R18 and have just over 2K on it. Not a sign of wear so far!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok, now I'm confused, I was under the impression the Avon Venom X was the one with the harder compound (geared more for touring and tire wear longevity) and the Avon Venom R (Radial) had a (softer compound for added traction for sport riding) this info coming from those supposedly in the know ???

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
MYM109R said:
Ok, now I'm confused, I was under the impression the Avon Venom X was the one with the harder compound (geared more for touring and tire wear longevity) and the Avon Venom R (Radial) had a (softer compound for added traction for sport riding) this info coming from those supposedly in the know ???
I'm not positive but I think the X is rayon belted and the R is steel belted. Check the Avon WEB sight! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
kevin said:
I LOOKED ON J&P CYCLES THAY HAVE THE DUNLOP ELITE 3Â Â 240-40-18Â FORÂ $133.99 .SO IS THIS THE NEXT TIRE TO BUY ? OR IS THIS CRAP ?
I changed out my tires for Metzelers and will never go back.
The Metzelers are just a much higher grade of tire than the Dunlops, and the bike rides way better.

My $.02
:doorag:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
I'm happy with my Metzeler so far. I went with the 240. I spend a LOT of time on my M in the mountains and didn't want to increase what is already heavy-handed steering by going to a 260. I butted the Metz up to the Dunlop after they pulled it off the rim and couldn't tell any difference in the width. The missus and I had a fairly long ride in the rain last weekend and the Metz handled really well.

Here's a link to what happened just before replacing the Dunlop :hot::Â

:Click: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j13/ILUVMYM109R/?action=view&current=081306_1216a.flv
I have the Metz 260 rear and Metz 130 front on my bike and it is far less "Heavy Handed" with the Metz 260 then it was with the stock dunnie.
WAAAYYYY Less... Not sure on the difference between the 240 and 260 Metz but I ride mostly twisties and have nothing but praise for the 260 Metz. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
JUtah said:
I have the Metz 260 rear and Metz 130 front on my bike and it is far less "Heavy Handed" with the Metz 260 then it was with the stock dunnie.
WAAAYYYY Less... Not sure on the difference between the 240 and 260 Metz but I ride mostly twisties and have nothing but praise for the 260 Metz. :bigthumbsup:

You got it right JUtah! Metz's make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts