M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get new front and rear tires for my 9 and I have a few questions. I've read alot of info back and forth about brands and size and I just want to clarify before I buy. I've decided to go with the Metzler's instead of the Dunlop E-3's that I have now. I hear too many good things about improved handling not to try them. I have stock rims, so should I go with the ME 880 260/40/vr18 on the rear and ME 880 160/60VR on the front (mounting the front in reverse)? If I go with the 160 up front will I have to mod the front fender? Also, where's the best deal on Metz? 8)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No mods are needed for the 160 you just need to loosen the fender bolts and pull up on the rear end of the fender while you tighten the bolts back up.Im not sure the 260 in the rear will give you the best handling over the 250.and yes the 160 should be mounted in reverse rotation.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
^^^ Like he said. I have the exact same combo that you are planning to get. Handles awesome! I didn't even touched my fender at all and it fit perfect.

G

·
As everyone knows by now, I really prefer the 260/160 combo. But all of the Metz sets; 240/130 or 160, 250/130 or 160, and 260/130 or 160, work great compared to the Dunnies. I like the 260 for it's rounder profile and taller height, giving more ground clearence for greater lean angles before grinding. After your change, let us know if you feel it is an improvement.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I find with the Dunnies I have to push the bike into corners. I really looking forward to the improved handling. This forum is great for all of the different view points and experienced based advice. Thanks again gentlemen. i'll keep everyone posted on my experience. Ride safe. 8)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I'm looking to get new front and rear tires for my 9 and I have a few questions. I've read alot of info back and forth about brands and size and I just want to clarify before I buy. I've decided to go with the Metzler's instead of the Dunlop E-3's that I have now. I hear too many good things about improved handling not to try them. I have stock rims, so should I go with the ME 880 260/40/vr18 on the rear and ME 880 160/60VR on the front (mounting the front in reverse)? If I go with the 160 up front will I have to mod the front fender? Also, where's the best deal on Metz? 8)
With the 160/60/18 you WILL NOT, NOT NEED to do anything! PUT IT ON AND RIDE! It was the 150/70/18 when people had to dick around with the fender bolt holes! YOU WILL BE FINE:bigthumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts