M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow 9 friends!

I am not sure if this question has been asked before but hopefully I can get some feedback from the experience guys here.

Which tire gives the best performance in terms of grip? Brand and model?

Had an encounter with a certain road bike and the rider was being a punk with me on my way home. Had a go with him but during one corner...I experienced the rear sliding out without hammering the throttle at all...in fact I was pretty easy with the gas although entry speed was a little faster than normal.

The slide kinda got me worrying about my current Dunlop tires which I have lost confidence totally!

Advise needed...kindly reserve funny and weird comments thanks!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
99% of the guys here run the Dunlop elite3, or Metzler ME880. I am getting ready to order my 2nd set of tires since I bought my 9 and I am gonna go with the elite3 250 and a 160 metz. Just do a search, other than that there are some guys that rund the Avon's and I know futurR loves his.

·
Registered
221 Posts
tires tires

Well I'm the minority one percent...you want grip, you want to never worry about slipping? AVON all the way bro, the only reason they aren't as popular is they are a little pricey but to me my safety was worth every penny. Even in heavy rain they grip better than you would think. I am biased i guess because that's all I ride anymore. When it's time for tires I don't even consider another brand. Try it once and I think you'll agree.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the E3 now and hate it. Ordering AVON cobra 250 rear and 160 front. 195.99 for the Cobra 250 and 139.99 for the 160 AV56 from jakewilson.com. Pretty good prices.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have the E3 now and hate it. Ordering AVON cobra 250 rear and 160 front. 195.99 for the Cobra 250 and 139.99 for the 160 AV56 from jakewilson.com. Pretty good prices.
is that the AV71 and AV72? I had a hard time finding an avon 160 for the front.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Hey Dave, what is it about the E3 you don't like? I'm also running an E3 and I have no complaints with it, but I'll be due for a new tire this winter so let me know how you like the Avon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't tried the Dunlop or Metzler. I have Avons front and rear. Love 'em. I ride alot with sport bikes, and push the bike pretty hard in the turns and the tires seem to hold the road awesome, never noticed any sliding or drift.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have the E-3's and didn't have an issue pushing the tires on the VA/WVA roads last week. After last week I have no chicken strips and the tire never felt unstable or slippery to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
AVON

Avon Cobra all the way for me, like the ride and the looks of the tire, i went back to the 240 because it has more tread depth than the 250, witch i got 10,000 miles on the 250,,,and an other reason for me is that the cobra doesn't have any steel belt in the tire,,,,,

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What people have to think and look for is where you ride your tire when in the corners bye looking at the tire and see where you scuff the edge of the tire. If your to close to the edge of the tire, no matter what you run your on the edge of life. I found i don't like the Metz in the front of this bike..Wrong shape. I started running the Duro in the front. Its the stock size tire, but when you look at it it is wider then the Metz just because of the shape. I have more rubber on the road on the corner and no wiggle. Real stable. I love running the 280 stock Metz with the stock rim because it rolls the tire giving me a nice crown and more rubber on the corner. All the peg dragging and folding of the pegs i'm not even close the the edge of the tire. You look at the tire in the pic below, you will see i'm about a half inch from the edge of the tire with a thick part of the tire.

Had some one send me a 240 in stead of my 280 and had to put it on because of showing belt and wanted to ride so I ended up with the 240 back on the bike. I can not in any way dive into the corners the way i do with my 280 stock rim set up.

All i can say people is watch your tire and know where you ride on them. It will tell you what you can do with your bike.

I love sporting the nine. I plan on being around for a long time to enjoy the nine.

Be smart and safe out there guys.

Dave

G

·
If you want the absolute best grip and handling you need a set of tires that work together in both grip and profile. You also need the ground clearence on this bike to use it all. The 260/60VR18 rear and 160/60VR18 Metzler 880 is what I've found to work the best. The 160 is a rear tire that is mounted in reverse rotation from the side arrow. That is a Metzler approved mounting for that tire. I have dropped the forks to where the caps are flush with the tripple clamp and run the rear shock on the highest setting (7). The pictures below shows the proof of what can be done with this setup. Anyone who wants to argue the point just has to show me they can match that level of cornering capability.

I am able to lean it over so far that I'm scraping both upper and lower pipe guards as well as the bottom muffler. And as with any bike the farther you can lean it the tighter it will turn. I have no problems with losing grip. I still have a slight chicken strip on the front tire so I'm still getting full tread contact on the ground and the rear tire has a rounder profile than the 280 and allows more lean angle before reaching the edge of the tread.

The only drawback is you don't get good tire life. about 6 to 7 Thousand miles is all.

I haven't tried the Avons but the rear tire is not as round a profile and the front 160 is also a rear tire and the tread pattern is not as good for running in revearse due to possible hydroplaning. But the added mileage is tempting, as they are definately good tires. I prefer Avons on my Honda ST1300.

If you use the search fuction for these tire sizes you will find a lot of threads where all this has been discussed and argued adnosium.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
If you want the absolute best grip and handling you need a set of tires that work together in both grip and profile. You also need the ground clearence on this bike to use it all. The 260/60VR18 rear and 160/60VR18 Metzler 880 is what I've found to work the best. The 160 is a rear tire that is mounted in reverse rotation from the side arrow. That is a Metzler approved mounting for that tire. I have dropped the forks to where the caps are flush with the tripple clamp and run the rear shock on the highest setting (7). The pictures below shows the proof of what can be done with this setup. Anyone who wants to argue the point just has to show me they can match that level of cornering capability.

I am able to lean it over so far that I'm scraping both upper and lower pipe guards as well as the bottom muffler. And as with any bike the farther you can lean it the tighter it will turn. I have no problems with losing grip. I still have a slight chicken strip on the front tire so I'm still getting full tread contact on the ground and the rear tire has a rounder profile than the 280 and allows more lean angle before reaching the edge of the tread.

The only drawback is you don't get good tire life. about 6 to 7 Thousand miles is all.

I haven't tried the Avons but the rear tire is not as round a profile and the front 160 is also a rear tire and the tread pattern is not as good for running in revearse due to possible hydroplaning. But the added mileage is tempting, as they are definately good tires. I prefer Avons on my Honda ST1300.

If you use the search fuction for these tire sizes you will find a lot of threads where all this has been discussed and argued adnosium.
:agree: except get a 130 Metzler up front. If you're looking for the ultimate in a sticky rear tire for your stock rim, the Metz 260 is the way to go. :bigthumbsup:​

·
Registered
41 Posts
tire traction

Rain on painted stripes (white/yellow) on asphalt scare me. Why do they make them suckers so traction retardant. Blows when the front or back washes out going around an intersection and then bites.
Running 260/160 Metz and have not experienced this yet but it probably will looking at the tread pattern. Might also be due to being more paranoid on paint stripes.

They should make all intersection quadrants made out of concrete instead of asphalt. My dually can't even get traction on that crap when it is fresh wet.

G

·
:agree: except get a 130 Metzler up front. If you're looking for the ultimate in a sticky rear tire for your stock rim, the Metz 260 is the way to go. :bigthumbsup:
I have to disagree. The 130 is the wrong profile for nuetral handling. You have to countersteer alot more with it to keep it leaned over and it provides considerably less ground clearence so you can't lean it as far.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Dave, what is it about the E3 you don't like? I'm also running an E3 and I have no complaints with it, but I'll be due for a new tire this winter so let me know how you like the Avon.
High speed wobble!!

If we get a chance to ride together before I get the new tires I'll show you what I mean. You can see the side wall wobble when the bike is rolling. Its only on the left side. The tire is deformed. checked to make sure the bead was seated and it is. Put the bike up on the jack and put an indicator on th rim and it didn't run out more than .005". But you can see the sidewall wobble while you turn the wheel. The front tire is chopping too just like the stocker. I don't think the are made very well. That's why they are so cheap. it seems like they are hit or miss. Some people have no problems and others do. If you so a search you can read about a lot of people having problems with this tire.

On another note. If I ever get an afternoon off we'll have to go riding.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I got to say the most you get on cornering is the stock rim on a 280. Put these bikes side by side and you WILL SEE I have lots more thick rubber on the road. proof is in the eyes of the beholder. lol :joke: Theres not much difference from the 260 to the 280 anyway. If you blows your hair back to have a 260, cool beens.

As far as that front tire, yes you can have a junk tire there...I wouldn't run with it. Some one could of hit a pot hole or side walk and recked the side wall. Your front tire is lot more important then the back one.

Metz is a good tire but not for the front of this bike. I found my true love for the front of this bike.. Duro 130/ stock size. I have twice the rubber on the corners. No fighting with this tire straight or cornering.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
High speed wobble!!

If we get a chance to ride together before I get the new tires I'll show you what I mean. You can see the side wall wobble when the bike is rolling. Its only on the left side. The tire is deformed. checked to make sure the bead was seated and it is. Put the bike up on the jack and put an indicator on th rim and it didn't run out more than .005". But you can see the sidewall wobble while you turn the wheel. The front tire is chopping too just like the stocker. I don't think the are made very well. That's why they are so cheap. it seems like they are hit or miss. Some people have no problems and others do. If you so a search you can read about a lot of people having problems with this tire.

On another note. If I ever get an afternoon off we'll have to go riding.
I must have gotten an ok one, but I have heard others complain about this tire. Yes definitely, if you get a chance to ride sometime, give me call....:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the awesome feedback! Appreciate it heaps!!

I am a hard rider...like to lend low as much as the bike can handle plus love semi charging into corners. I know this bike is not built for it but I guess I love the bike a lot and just wanna make the best out of the reasons for me loving the bike.

For me I wanna tell/ show a lot of riders from where I come from to not screw around with cruisers or look down on them as far as handling is concerned. Love the trill of having fun with sports bikes etc...i know its ain't right but hell...i am sometimes silly!

Also where I come from (Singapore), I only have Avon, Metz and Dunlop available for the rears and I guess being fussy, I wanna have a similar brand of tires front and rear.

I guess from everyones comments, majority swears by Avon...for now, my heart in heading towards this direction.

Love to hear more feedback!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts