M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a notice in my local paper today that Goodyear was in danger of going out on strike today. And Goodyear is the owner of Dunlop.

Well I just got the phone call that Goodyear and Dunlop are going on strike at 1PM today.

So start scrambling and buy whatever you can to fit your bike. This is gonna get real messy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Metzler, Avon, Pirelli, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunlop has not delivered many tires since April. And Dunlop was 80% of the tire market for motorcycles in the US. Metzeler, Avon, Bridgestone are a total of 20% and are unable to raise their production levels quickly enough to put a dent in the demand.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hal,
When do you think you will have your 300 tire kit installed and tested? I'm seriously wanting one of those, but am awaiting your feedback. I realize your bike is having engine work at the moment, so when will you be riding with the 300? And do you have any 300's in stock? :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
IMHO, Dunlop = cheap tires...that may be why they 80% of the market. You have two things between your bike & the road: front & rear tires. I feel more comfortable spending a few bucks more on Metzeler or Avon. If I want cheap, Pirelli is still cheapr than Dunlop for my bike....and quite possibly for most others as well. I got about 12000 miles on my front Pirelli tire the past 12 months. Avon I just bought will probably get less, but I've heard it's a better ride.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wildwolf said:
IMHO, Dunlop = cheap tires...that may be why they 80% of the market. You have two things between your bike & the road: front & rear tires. I feel more comfortable spending a few bucks more on Metzeler or Avon. If I want cheap, Pirelli is still cheapr than Dunlop for my bike....and quite possibly for most others as well. I got about 12000 miles on my front Pirelli tire the past 12 months. Avon I just bought will probably get less, but I've heard it's a better ride.
I got pirellis MT66 on my sabre now and they are a great tire at an accessible cost... They are 10 times better than my dunlops were... just my $.02... :super:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hey Hal, i've never followed the parts supply biz too closely, and i think it's very interesting that some of the folks on this site are privy to such great sources of parts, accessories and nifty stuff.

I have just had my 109 for about 2 months and have lots of life left in my stock rubber, but have already decided to buy a Metz 280 for the rear. Do you think i should go ahead and order it now, even though i have no use for it yet?

I have been told i can install that Metz 280 on my OEM rim and that sounded like a pretty affordable upgrade (besides my flame grips, tank bra, tank bag and saddle bags... i promised the wife i wouldn't spend house payment size money on my Burple Baby.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
M109R Fan said:
I got pirellis MT66 on my sabre now and they are a great tire at an accessible cost... They are 10 times better than my dunlops were... just my $.02... :super:
Yeah, the MT66 is what I have now. I got plenty of mileage out of the front....just had the rear put on in May (have about 5000 miles on rear). Wanted to try one of the 'higher priced' tires to see if I liked them any better, so I bought the Avon. Hope I can get it mounted tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fignewt3 said:
Hey Hal, i've never followed the parts supply biz too closely, and i think it's very interesting that some of the folks on this site are privy to such great sources of parts, accessories and nifty stuff.

I have just had my 109 for about 2 months and have lots of life left in my stock rubber, but have already decided to buy a Metz 280 for the rear. Do you think i should go ahead and order it now, even though i have no use for it yet?

I have been told i can install that Metz 280 on my OEM rim and that sounded like a pretty affordable upgrade (besides my flame grips, tank bra, tank bag and saddle bags... i promised the wife i wouldn't spend house payment size money on my Burple Baby.
I think buying a spare tire is a good idea.

As far as the 280 that is a decision you have to make. Its not an approved combination on the stock rim. I know a few guys have done it but we can't approve it because of tire manufacturer warranty issues.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BlackCherry said:
Hal,
When do you think you will have your 300 tire kit installed and tested? I'm seriously wanting one of those, but am awaiting your feedback. I realize your bike is having engine work at the moment, so when will you be riding with the 300? And do you have any 300's in stock? :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
I am running out of time so I am sticking the 280 on our 10 inch replicator rim and putting it on today.

The 300 will have to wait until after Daytona. Just too many little projects and I can't get them all done.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
prolly not long, those union guys gotta eat too you know. I am glad I am out of that crap, I used to be pro union all the way but after being in one for 15 years and seeing all the crap first hand plus the fact most unions have lost a lot of their clout so they cannot hold out long on strike anyway. I give them a month, or less. ::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts