M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems a subject popped up while we were gone about oversize tires fitting on smaller rims.

By Friday I should have the 280 Metzeler mounted on an 8.5 inch rim and a 300 mounted on a 10 inch rim. I am going to cut some outlines of the tires before and after to see how much the tires distort and I will be talking to Metzeler to get their comments on any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
thats really cool of you to do all this research to make sure its a safe thing to do. I would be surprised if metz said its ok that would put alot of liabilaty on them if something happend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Seems a subject popped up while we were gone about oversize tires fitting on smaller rims.

By Friday I should have the 280 Metzeler mounted on an 8.5 inch rim and a 300 mounted on a 10 inch rim. I am going to cut some outlines of the tires before and after to see how much the tires distort and I will be talking to Metzeler to get their comments on any issues.
Hal: Along with the mounted measurements could you please capture the bead to bead measurements of both the 280 and 300 before they are mounted. It will provide some valuable info to our curious readers to include myself!

Thanking you in advance for your assist!!

bob109
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Viper_814 said:
thats really cool of you to do all this research to make sure its a safe thing to do. I would be surprised if metz said its ok that would put alot of liabilaty on them if something happend.Â
Metz, like all other tire manufactures, has existing tire sizing/application charts. I would think it highly unlikely that they would deviate from those for liability reasons. When viewed, most rim width recommendations are within a range of 1 inch increments i.e. a tire with a bead to bead width of 8 inches would ideally be mounted on a 8 inch wide rim. The tire manufacturer chart would indicate a rim width of 7.5 to 8.5 inches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
I will have more info and photos than you will know what to do with.
:bigthumbsup: I'll most likely be tire shopping soon :redfaced: so the onfo the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
I just ordered the Elite3 from Direct Line. I'll wait 'til next summer for a possible upgrade to see what all is available and if there are any issues with the 280 on a stock rim. Thanks, Hal, for all the legwork :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Thanks for all the research you and Lamont do. I have used the advice in almost all the things I have purchased so far. That makes this site really worth it.

Your timing on tires is perfect. I just did my 4000 miles service on my bike, my hands have finally stopped bleeding and I noticed the tires are getting ready for change. I have a gauge that reads in 1/32 of an inch and the service manual says to change when the back is .08 and the front is .06in. Not sure how to equate one reading to the other but my gauge is 3/32. In either case it is getting tight so when you get the info on the tires I will order. I was thinking about 250 or 280 if they are ok on stock rims.

Thanks again guys,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Hal,

When you are talking to Meltz, can you find out if they will be releasing a VR rated front tire! All of the possible mods that are starting to pop up has me concerned about the HR rated tire I put on
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trouble_Is said:
I just ordered the Elite3 from Direct Line. I'll wait 'til next summer for a possible upgrade to see what all is available and if there are any issues with the 280 on a stock rim. Thanks, Hal, for all the legwork :bigthumbsup:Â
Forget the tire nonsense. Grandkids are the best. Congratulations. Your fun is just beginning. Got one ready to pop on August 18 and another in October.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Hal, is there anyway you can test this without getting on the bike? ::)

Good luck with the test, ware body armor just in case :p
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
firecat said:
Thanks Hal, is there anyway you can test this without getting on the bike?  ::)Â

Good luck with the test, ware body armor just in case :p
This is a measurement only test.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top