M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on a rear tire for my M :read: While browsing Dunlop's website, I noticed that the Elite 3 250/40VR18 has a max load rating of 1,019lbs. With me on my bike and a full tank of gas, the total weight is right at 1,000lbs. That leaves me about 120lbs. over the max weight rating when the missus and the saddle bags are on the bike with me.

I searched for some max load info on the Metzeler ME880 260 but couldn't find anything. If one of you that have one on your M could look at the max load rating on the sidewall and post it here that would be greatly appreciated :bigthumbsup:

The Avon site listed the Venom R AM42 250/40R18 as having a Load Index of 81, which is 1,019lbs - same as the Dunlop Elite 3

The max load rating on the stock Dunlop D221 rear is 963lbs.(!) but the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating in the Owner's manual is 1,250lbs. :confused:

Am I supposed to divide the weight of the bike by two (since it has two tires :eek: ) or figure out the weight distribution ratio between the front and rear - with occupants - or what?

I wouldn't be so anal about this if I were the only one riding on it all the time. Anyone with any tire knowledge that would care to help me figure this out?

:pop:

G

·
The load rating on tires is per tire not for the whole vehicle so each tire in your example would support twice the weight in theroy. If the front tire carried as much weight and the load was 50/50.

Class D Light truck tires carry 2750 to 3350 lbs each.
Class E Light truck tires carry 3350 to 4800 lbs each.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well the GVW is divided between both end of the bike , exactly what the front/rear ratio is I don't know :confused: and the owners manual doesn't help and either , it just says to try to keep weight as close to the center of the bike as possible ::)

·
Registered
127 Posts
The load was a concern of mine being 350+ and wanting to ride 2 up. I don't remember the source, may have been NADA, but I found some data that put my wife and i right at the limit. But I was told that they are conservative estimates.

P.S. Congrats on the Grandbaby!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Old autocross trick:

get a bathroom scale and put it under the front wheel. We know the bike is 695 dry, add about 50lbs for fluids and see what the scale says. Now if it says something like 225 then you can figure the rear tire is supporting approx 520lbs (70%) (make sure it's off the stand) Now, sit on the bike with your gear and measure again, this time calculating using the wet weight plus your weight. Figure out how much the rear tire is supporting and then add the weight of the passenger since they pretty much sit directly over the rear tire and there you have your load.

You could put the scale directly under the rear wheel, but most bathroom scales won't go that high.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Preciate the info and how to's :bigthumbsup: I think I'm gonna go with the less expensive Elite for the rest of this riding season (about 8 more weeks) and maybe upgrade to the Metz next summer. Who knows what's gonna be available by then?

Gramps :redfaced:

·
Registered
127 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
8 more week of riding .....that's when It'll finally be cool enough to ride here :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
Yeah, I cant wait until it gets cooler. I love those brisk Virginia mornings. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts