M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mods to our front fender if any, is needed to run a 170/60/18 up front? I know many ok some, of us are running the 160, but can we run the 170?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
I would say that running a 170 would require the fender to be moved up. Not just loosen the bolts and move it up as much as the holes allow, but adding brackets to move it up. The 160 is about 1/4" taller than the stock tire, and the 170 will be taller yet. Considering that even small gravels will scrape the fender with a 160, a 170 would probably rub all the time.

That's getting kind of big for a stock rim though. The 160 is supposed to have a 4.5" rim and we have a 3.5" rim. It would be way beyond spec for the rim.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In order to fit a 170 up front you need to get a pair of these. Suzuki m109r front fender adapter. That is what I tyed into ebay. The guy who sells them his name is Rainey5230. Look it up and have at it. A 170 in front will look cool.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
There was a guy (rose something but I think he sold his 9) that had a 17x 4.5 or 5 inch rim and was running a 170 on the front. It looked pretty good, but for the extra money of a new wheel you could do a bunch of other mods to make your 9 stand out. Is that extra 10mm of width really worth the money?

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of our members sells front fender adapters...Rainey5230 is his name/handle. He is the fella that sells those awesome Cannon Exhaust.
I don't know if they are set up for a 170, but you could ask him.

Dave

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The correct wheel for a 170/60x17 tire is 17x6.25. The front fender will need to be raised for tire clearance. The 170 up front makes the bike very stable going down the highway. You don't feel all of the imperfections on the road, however, it does require a little more effort going through the twisties but you get used to it. You can see the difference, mine is the white one in the center.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire Size Question

Yes to both part of your question. Most people are running 160 in the front monunted backwards. But their are a few who are running 170 on their 9. I run a 170 w/fender adapter on my 9. This is after I notices that the 170 had started to rub a hole in the back of the fender. I had to replace my front fender to say the lease. The tire was still in great shape, but I'll tell you this when the time come to replace the 170, I will change to 160.

Dealbreaker8)

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANKS EVERYONE

Thanks guy's, for all your advice. I ran a 160 before and loved it, than went back to a 130 do to NO choice {on a ride and tire HAD to be replaced} When that one died DavidB hooked me up with his stock one, which I'm still running. And jakewilson has a 160 or a 170 for $117.00 shipped! So I was thinking why not the 170, BUT wanted to check with all of you. However it was ZOOM that hit on safety, and this tire will be going on a Stock Rim! And DEALBREAKER said he'd be going back to the 160 from a 170. So with that said i'll go 160 and smile:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts