M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if I can seal a nail hole in my back tire with a plug and some sealer. I'm on my second tire and I really can't afford another one.If so, what product would you try? I only have 500 miles on the tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A few day after I bought a new tire for my Hayabusa I found a screw in it. Was pretty upset and just plugged it with a kit from Wal-Mart. Lasted me for 1500 miles with NO leakage. Having said that, I think you will find the general concensus is its not a very good idea. I dont think even patching would be recommended.

Ed

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Can you remove it and patch it from the inside??
That is what i would want if I was going to keep riding on that tire.

I would get another tire as soon as possible. any serious injury will certainly be more painful than buying a new tire.

I would ride a plug home, then gently till payday. I might ride an internal patch till the end of the Month.

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This is a personal choice issue to plug your tire. Many readers and riders on this board will not recommend plugging /repairing a tire. That said I have personally plugged rear cycle tires and never had a failure ( that could be a case of luck ). If the tire is a radial you can buy repair kits at K-Mart, Wally World, Pep Boys etc. The kits include a course round rasp file, plug insertion tool , several long pre-glued plugs and some even provide rubber cement which I recommend to ease inserting the plug into the hole. Follow all the directions on the kit package and you should have no problems. I got 4K to 5K out of tires I plugged with no problems. Be prepared for a lot of wrath and ire on this issue!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have 300 miles on a plugged tire. I got a nail at 100 miles and plugged it. The tire hasn't leaked yet. I will ride with the plugged tire until I take it out on a long ride, until then as long as I'm just riding around town the plug will do.

P.S. My 260 Metz just arrived today. $167 from a local dealer. $60 more when I have them install it.

Mazatrol

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you're going to plug it, plug it from the inside using a mushroom plug. This is the only way to effectively repair it. With the tyre off you can also check if there is any damage to the internal wall first..If there is get a new tyre.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
bob109 said:
Many readers and riders on this board will not recommend plugging /repairing a tire.
And the funny thing is... I'm betting there are a good number of those that won't wear a helmet.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Medic1210 said:
And the funny thing is... I'm betting there are a good number of those that won't wear a helmet.
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: Life is full of paradoxes :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I'm in the same boat as you . (NAIL in Rear Tire) I tried a plug but it still leaks slowly. So I did a search and tire sealants for motorcycles and found a site www.ride-on.com The standard Slime is only rated at 65 mph. And a warning about tire balance!
Ride-On is rated about 150mph and will aid in tire balancing. To each his on when it come to tire safety and checkbook!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The safety thing to is to get a new tire. But I just plugged mine rear tire right in the middle, with a kit from a autopart a week ago. I took out the nail plugged and burned out the tire a good to go. Also I had a 1500 Mean Streak that I plugged the rear tier and i put approx. 300 mile. But again this is a personal choice like ware helment or not, or go over 100 mph. But You have to do it your self any tire repair shop would not do it. If you going to do it be aweare that you have a plugged tire
an check the air prest. every time you goin to ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
im noticing a trend on these tires... 580 miles i recieved a gift in my back tire also.. right in the middle.. i havnt had a nail in a tire in 20 years.. i just went ahead and put the 250 dunnie on and called it a day...

PS Texas and New Mexico will not patch a MC tire, against the law.. couldnt find one place to do it...

Casey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts