M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, was out riding with Chris tonight, another silver 109er, and we pull into a bar, park... and he notices a nice hissing noise...

Lo and behold, I ran over what looks to be some sort of glass... puncturing the tire right down the middle of the tread...

I pull it out, and it is barely leaking, but it is loosing pressure I can tell...

Was able to ride it home another 15 miles, stopping along the way to check pressure...

Got home and it is just under 20 psi right now...

Question for everyone... is this something I can put some fix a flat in, and it will seal it good enough to ride on, if nothing else to the dealership... is this something I can plug safely... or am I just stuck airing her up, riding her to the stealer, and paying out the wazzoo for a new tire?

If I can go to Walmart tonight and get a plug or fix a flat, I'll be glad to, just wasn't sure what you experts thought?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
BigBen said:
Well, was out riding with Chris tonight, another silver 109er, and we pull into a bar, park... and he notices a nice hissing noise...

Lo and behold, I ran over what looks to be some sort of glass... puncturing the tire right down the middle of the tread...

I pull it out, and it is barely leaking, but it is loosing pressure I can tell...

Was able to ride it home another 15 miles, stopping along the way to check pressure...

Got home and it is just under 20 psi right now...

Question for everyone... is this something I can put some fix a flat in, and it will seal it good enough to ride on, if nothing else to the dealership... is this something I can plug safely... or am I just stuck airing her up, riding her to the stealer, and paying out the wazzoo for a new tire?

If I can go to Walmart tonight and get a plug or fix a flat, I'll be glad to, just wasn't sure what you experts thought?
If it was me I would plug it but this will be one of those debates that could go on forever. ::)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If it's a slice you will need a tire for sure but I would try some fix a flat in it to get it to the dealer in case you do not have a pickup. If it is a puncture I would plug it, and depending on condition of the tire might ride on it like that but not any high speed stuff. So if going slow don't just tear you up I guess it would would be tire time then too. about two weeks ago I just pulled into work on my 99' ZRX 1100 and saw a damn nail sticking out. I knew when it happened as I had to cross over into the break down lane momentarily to avoid a cager on the way in and all the none used parts of the road here in Dallas are covered in crap. Well I did not lose any air in it overnite here at work so I rode it home 38 miles kinda slow. When I got home I pulled it out fully expecting the dreaded hissing sound. To my surprise the nail had gone in side ways and was just in the tread block. First time that has ever happened to me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lamonster said:
If it was me I would plug it but this will be one of those debates that could go on forever. ::)
Well considering that you have some of the most experience on a motorcycle of any of us here, I think I'll do just that :)

I am at 1500 miles, so time to just enjoy the tire for a little more, then go replace her when you all figure out which tire is the best stock replacement ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Steve J, You got luuuuuuuucky! and Ben just be careful bro! A blow seems like a terrible thing when you only had 2 tires to start with!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It didn't blow, it was simply a puncture, some piece of glass, very small at that, not even a 1/4" puncture, as if the tip of a knife had been stuck in the bike, right in the center basically...

I'm just going to plug her up and be done with it :)

Tire has 1500 miles, so soon enough I'll replace her anyways...

:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I can see why Lamont said that this is a debate that would go on forever...

Some of you are telling me to replace it... some are saying to just plug it...

Decisions, decisions...

Is it really only $220 to replace it, tire cost, dealer cost, and all?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
BigBen said:
Is it really only $220 to replace it, tire cost, dealer cost, and all?
I think the factory replacement ( Dunlop Sportmax D221 ) is more than that( heard reports of $400 :eek: ) and can be got only at dealer (reason for the high price) for now.

But you can go with the :

Dunlop Elite 3 :the 240 is in the $140 range and the 250 is in the $150 range plus mounting, balancing and R&R of tire on the bike if you don't want to do that part yourself.

Metzeler ME880 XXL : the 240 is in $225 range and the 260 is the $220 range plus the usual stuff :p (the ones I;m going with :bigthumbsup: )

Avon Venom R : the 250 is in the $210 range

Good luck :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just don't use Fix a flat!!!!! Save this for a last resort when you are stranded some where and have nothing else to do. Plus most shops will charge you extra to clean all the crap off the wheel when it is time to change the tire out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think I would be comfortable with just repairing it would probably get a new one. But its a matter of "managing risks" - quote from MSC :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Breaker said:
I don't think I would be comfortable with just repairing it would probably get a new one. But its a matter of "managing risks" - quote from MSC :D
+1

You only have 2 tires, why risk it?? Plus, you ride very often and a lot times alone.. Get in them remote areas and have no cell phone signal! UGH!!

There's a place in Pasadena (TX) that has good prices on tires and they install them at fair prices... Let me do some research on this and get you the info... I also heard of a place on the NW side of Houston, someone working out of their garage, that replaces a lot of the sport bikes tires.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Call these guys:
Discount Motorcycle Tires
2311 Shaver Street, Pasadena, TX 77502
(713) 477-8473

·
Registered
237 Posts
BB,

I think I'd opt for replacement or a tube. Replacements look like they range from $125 for the Dunlop Elite 3 to $225 for the Metzler 880XXL. On the other hand I found a company that offers a tube for about $25. Plugging is a little scary, especially knowing how fast you guys ride. Well, my 2 cents. Here's the link for the tube.

http://www.motorcycletires.com/defa...&searchstr=DS181234&itemname=MOTORCYCLE+TUBES

Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
If it's a small hole 1/4 inch or less plug it, keep an eye on it and drive it...I've plugged tires and run them for 8-10,000 miles before. If you have any doubts and lots of cash...put a new tire on it. theres nothing to debate...your choice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
pump it back up.... Burn the rest fo the rubber off an make all yoru neighbors either love or hate you.. then replace it :) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like the burn out idea. Gotta love that burnin' rubber smell! :#1:

·
Registered
241 Posts
1) Replace
2) Mushroom plug from the inside
:
999) Tube (don't do it)

Carl