M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires, both front and back seem to leak about a half a pound of air per day. I know that ambient temperature can change the reading, but they do leak. My back tire went from 42 psi to 34 psi in one week and the front went from 36 psi to 32 psi. Dose anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
the ole man said:
My tires, both front and back seem to leak about a half a pound of air per day. I know that ambient temperature can change the reading, but they do leak. My back tire went from 42 psi to 34 psi in one week and the front went from 36 psi to 32 psi. Dose anyone else have this problem?
The 109 has cast aluminum rims! You could have some porous rims. I'd remove the tires from the bike and immerse them in water and check to see if the tire bead areas are leaking or the rims themselves are porous/leaking. You could also have leaky valve stems. The water immersion will tell for sure!

·
Registered
292 Posts
My front tire loses 3-4 pounds a week... Back is fine. I didn't check them every time I rode... I do now..

G

·
Ride on works well and slows down how much pressure you lose. I check every week and last week I didn't have to add which is rare. Usually I need to add 1-2 in front and back

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
ahhh heck I think I will use silane, at least when it leaks you will know as it ignites when it comes in contact with air!!!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
It is incredible what 7 psi can do for the handling... I had not checked mine for a few days and noticed it was fighting me a little in the corners and felt like it was dragging down when idling down off of second. 45psi front and back and it's like new again. I almost forgot how important proper inflation is....

·
Registered
484 Posts
ITguy said:
45psi? I run about 42R* and 40F would more be better?

*Unless I'm at the track then I drop the rear down to 25-30.
I just read that on the tires...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Nitrogen would be preferred and will alleviate the leaking issues, but only if they originate in the tire itself. Butyl rubber naturally leaks air molecules due to the size of the O2 molecule. Pure nitrogen molecule is larger and will not leak thru rubber and thusly your tire pressure will remain consistent through a large operation of temperature fluctuations.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
steve j said:
ahhh heck I think I will use silane, at least when it leaks you will know as it ignites when it comes in contact with air!!!!!
Why not TetraEthylOxySilane.. least then you get a flame WITH a horrid odor to let you know.. just in case your tire combusting before your eyes wasn't enough.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I had no idea these tires lost that much air. I'm bad, because I rode my 109 for 2 months and didn't check the air once.
I will now check more often. Yikes.
:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts