M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone mount their own tires? Most shops around here don't/or won't mount tires,unless you buy them from them. I've allways used hand tools(spoons) to mount my tires,but I'm not sure if the rear tire on the 109 would be that easy to mount? Any info.? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ron S said:
Does anyone mount their own tires? Most shops around here don't/or won't mount tires,unless you buy them from them. I've allways used hand tools(spoons) to mount my tires,but I'm not sure if the rear tire on the 109 would be that easy to mount? Any info.? :dontknow:
Ron! Just a suggestion......I'd cut the old tire off.....trying to pull that 240 with spoons would be a bitch! Use some aviation snips which are strong enough to cut the steel cords and a small high speed grinder with a cutoff wheel! I used spoons and a heavy rubber mallet years ago and think you could mount the tire without much hassle! Make sure you moisten the rim and tirebead with some water :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I mount and dismount all my tires on both mine and my wife's bikes. I use the Harbor Freight tire changer that I picked up for less than $100. Oh yeah, I do need to warn you though, if you buy it, you will need to make a sign to hang above it that says, "Tire Changes $10.00". Trust me, in the 8 months I've had mine, I've changed over 2 dozen tires and only a handful were mine. :D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
I mount and dismount all my tires on both mine and my wife's bikes. I use the Harbor Freight tire changer that I picked up for less than $100. Oh yeah, I do need to warn you though, if you buy it, you will need to make a sign to hang above it that says, "Tire Changes $10.00". Trust me, in the 8 months I've had mine, I've changed over 2 dozen tires and only a handful were mine. :D
I've seen that changer and it looks like it would do the trick. Did you bolt it to the floor to keep it stable??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh yeah, you have to bolt it to the floor. You have to pull and yank pretty hard to get tires on and off so there is no option of not mounting it to the floor. And it will also take a little while to get the hang of the machine, but once you do it is quite easy. I'm down to less than an hour for removal of the rear wheel, swap tires, and remount the rear wheel on the Warrior.

But I don't recommend this unit on anything larger than a 240. It just wan't designed for anything that big, and will have some clearance issues.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. guy's. I'll have to check it out! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts