M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real post on the board. I just ordered 2 new Metzeler tires for my 9 and need to have them mounted. There are not any good shops local so my choice is either travel 1 hr or use a local auto tire shop. I know the guys at the local tire shop and I'm sure they would be willing to help if they have the right equipment to do the change.
Has anyone used an auto tire shop? If so what equipment is required so they don't mark or damage the rims? If not, is it worth the investment to buy a setup like the NO-MAR Cycle tire changer machine?

Love the boards, awesome information here..........good people :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Good question. I'd love to have my own equipment in my shop to change the rubber when I needed to. I wonder if there is any good product on the market to do that. And with using dynabeads there's no need for a balancing machine.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have changed MC tires using jack as a bead-breaker and a set of tire irons.

It is not all that bad of a process, but for me, the local dealer did my mounting for $20, so it was an easy decision to go that way.

The toughest parts are breaking the bead on the existing tire and locking in the bead on the new tire.

Breaking the bead can be done with a jack. Use a block of wood between the jack head and the tire and place the other side of the wheel against something you can jack against.

Use tire irons to get the beads over the lip and the new tires beads back over the lip.

Us a compressor with enough pressure to pop the new beads into place and then let air out until you are back at the pressure you want.

So, it is kind of a PITA, but definitely doable in your garage.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I use a car tire changing machine to mount motorcycle tires. It works exactly the same, except the clamping part is reversed. On a car rim, the jaws spread outward and clamp the inside of the rim. Obviously, this would scratch and ruin a motorcycle rim. I open the clamp, set the rim inside the clamp jaws and retract the jaws inward, clamping the outside of the rim. Use the tire bar and the mechanical arm to dismount and mount tires. Then I remove the valve core to inflate and seat the bead of the tire.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I use a car tire changing machine to mount motorcycle tires. It works exactly the same, except the clamping part is reversed. On a car rim, the jaws spread outward and clamp the inside of the rim. Obviously, this would scratch and ruin a motorcycle rim. I open the clamp, set the rim inside the clamp jaws and retract the jaws inward, clamping the outside of the rim. Use the tire bar and the mechanical arm to dismount and mount tires. Then I remove the valve core to inflate and seat the bead of the tire.

-Josh
Yea That's Right , Most Tire stores have to Be able to Mount tires on 22 inch Rims and do no damage to the Soft alloy Wheels , and the Dyno Beads eliminate Balancing the Required

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
I've always mounted my own tires and the 109 isn't bad if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. NoMar has some good tips on their website and they sell an excellent tire changing machine, but it's expensive. The tips are great though.

So, if you have never changed any and don't have the tools, I'd drive the hour and have it mounted. Or try that 8 strap mounting method that Big-B linked. I've never tried that but will the next time. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

-Josh
Thanks for the info, at least I know it's been done. New tires came Tuesday, hope to get everything mounted for the weekend since it's warming up now.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
WARMING UP NOW:dontknow: Yea it's a real HEAT WAVE HERE:eek:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I do my own tires. I got two small tire bars for bikes and I cut small peaces of garden hose to use with the bars to not mark up the rims. The front tire is harder then the back tire.

Good luck
[email protected]

·
Registered
550 Posts
I change my own tires. Breaking them off the bead is tough, I have a tire machine for that. putting them on is not that hard by hand. It takes a little/lot of practice. To slip the tire on requires rim protection when using irons(rubber hose) and clamping the rim down tight helps becuase you really go to battle with it some times. I clamp to the rotors instead of the wheel to hold it secure. Tire irons are the tool of choice. Soap and water
help alot. Then Dyna beads they are the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I change my own tires. Breaking them off the bead is tough, I have a tire machine for that. putting them on is not that hard by hand. It takes a little/lot of practice. To slip the tire on requires rim protection when using irons(rubber hose) and clamping the rim down tight helps becuase you really go to battle with it some times. I clamp to the rotors instead of the wheel to hold it secure. Tire irons are the tool of choice. Soap and water
help alot. Then Dyna beads they are the best thing since sliced bread.
:agree: Not on the rotor thing but the rest yes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts