M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been alot of talk between Metzeler, Dunlop, and Avon tires. What I'm curious about is what kind of life are y'all getting out of your tires.

I just hit 12,000 on my Dunlop E-3's, pretty good as far as I'm concerned. What are y'all getting out of your Metz's and Avons?

Edit: And yes....I did a search. My main question is anyone getting around what I got out of the other brands?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I only got 5700 kms out of the original dunlop crap. I now have a 240 metzeler on an have nearly 2600 on it an still looks new. My 2008 has a grand total of 8300 kms on her now.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I got about 13,000 K out of the rear and 21,000 K out of the front with the E3's. The originals (stockers) I only got to 9500 K's before I had to change them.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I got 11,000 out of my stock tires, and still had tread left. I changed them due to the front tire having really bad wear just-off-center to the left.
Other than that, I probably could have got another 1000 or so out of them.

I am right at 5000 on my EIIIs so far, and have not worn through half of the tread the tire came with. So should be good for 11,000 or so.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I got about 6000 on the stock rear dun and just put on a shinko 005 240 i put about 1000 on it still have the stock front it should go till summer the bike is 06

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I average about 11-12k on the E3's in the rear, and I believe about 15K on the front before it is time. There is still tread at that point but the tires aren't really that good.

From what I have read over time, and riding style is a big part, the average is about the following:

Dunlop E3 - 10-12k
Metz - 6-8k
Avon - Less then Metz

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
:agree: With BP, if you really try you can trash a tire in no time flat. I just replaced my rear 260 Metz that at 3600 miles it was down to the cord on the sides :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I average about 11-12k on the E3's in the rear, and I believe about 15K on the front before it is time. There is still tread at that point but the tires aren't really that good.

From what I have read over time, and riding style is a big part, the average is about the following:

Dunlop E3 - 10-12k
Metz - 6-8k
Avon - Less then Metz
Man I knew the Metz were a softer tire but I didn't realize they were this soft!!!! I have the Dunlop E3 on and am very happy with it. If you can get almost twice the mileage out of a Dunnie 250 compared to the Metz 260 and spend less money it's gonna be hard for me to justify "moving up" to the Metz on the rear tire at least.

Can anyone swear to the fact from personal experience from running both the Dunlop 250 & Metzler 260 that the Metz is just hands down that much of a better handling tire & worth the extra coin?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Man I knew the Metz were a softer tire but I didn't realize they were this soft!!!! I have the Dunlop E3 on and am very happy with it. If you can get almost twice the mileage out of a Dunnie 250 compared to the Metz 260 and spend less money it's gonna be hard for me to justify "moving up" to the Metz on the rear tire at least.

Can anyone swear to the fact from personal experience from running both the Dunlop 250 & Metzler 260 that the Metz is just hands down that much of a better handling tire & worth the extra coin?
I work on Giddyup109's bike and hang out with him all the time. He has the Metz 160 up front and the 280 in the back and says it blows away the dunnies. Others have said the same about the 250/260 comparison. For me, most of our riding is country roads and highway. My bike is already lowered 2.5" and Mary's is 2" so "tearing" up the twisties is not in the cards for us. We do nice relaxing rides and the E3's fit my style perfectly. i can get the rear for $140 shipped all day and get 12k miles. The metz is over 200 for half the miles. However, if I lived where there was more mountain roads and I was at stock height or air ride, I would go Metz myself.

I have ridden a bike with the Metz on it and it does roll easier from side to side. Brand new, not a ton of difference but when the E3 gets older, that is where the Metz does better.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I work on Giddyup109's bike and hang out with him all the time. He has the Metz 160 up front and the 280 in the back and says it blows away the dunnies. Others have said the same about the 250/260 comparison. For me, most of our riding is country roads and highway. My bike is already lowered 2.5" and Mary's is 2" so "tearing" up the twisties is not in the cards for us. We do nice relaxing rides and the E3's fit my style perfectly. i can get the rear for $140 shipped all day and get 12k miles. The metz is over 200 for half the miles. However, if I lived where there was more mountain roads and I was at stock height or air ride, I would go Metz myself.

I have ridden a bike with the Metz on it and it does roll easier from side to side. Brand new, not a ton of difference but when the E3 gets older, that is where the Metz does better.
Ok thanks. Lucky06 has the 300 Metz and he has talked BobbMac into the 260Metz (I'm running his hardly used Dunlop 250). We ride the mountains alot and I hear the Metz are a much more sticky tire. Having said that I like to ride hard at times and grind pegs but then I also like to tone it down and cruise with the wife on back.

From a money situation and having to also pay to have the tire removed & remounted + the cost of the Metz + the lower mileage I'm not sold on it for me. I put 7,000 - 10,000 a year on the bike and theres no way I'm wanting to go through 2 sets of rear Metz a year.

I rode 5,000 miles on the stock 240 so for me it feels great with the upgrade to just the Dunlop 250. But maybe I'd say the same thing if/when I was to use the Metz 260 :dontknow:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ok thanks. Lucky06 has the 300 Metz and he has talked BobbMac into the 260Metz (I'm running his hardly used Dunlop 250). We ride the mountains alot and I hear the Metz are a much more sticky tire. Having said that I like to ride hard at times and grind pegs but then I also like to tone it down and cruise with the wife on back.

From a money situation and having to also pay to have the tire removed & remounted + the cost of the Metz + the lower mileage I'm not sold on it for me. I put 7,000 - 10,000 a year on the bike and theres no way I'm wanting to go through 2 sets of rear Metz a year.

I rode 5,000 miles on the stock 240 so for me it feels great with the upgrade to just the Dunlop 250. But maybe I'd say the same thing if/when I was to use the Metz 260 :dontknow:
I agree. It is all about the budget and how you ride. I have mine and Mary's 109 to buy tires for. We aren't that aggressive so I am very happy. We have had both bikes to 130 with no wobble issues.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I agree. It is all about the budget and how you ride. I have mine and Mary's 109 to buy tires for. We aren't that aggressive so I am very happy. We have had both bikes to 130 with no wobble issues.
Along those lines its not like you can't ride "aggressive" with the Dunnie or even the Stocker because you can. I scrapped my front frame & buried my footbpegs in some curves with the stock 240 on and rode it out just fine.

But I agree with the budget and overall riding style choice in general. If the Metz got close to the same mileage then I would probably go ahead and spend the extra for it. But if the difference is as much as you state then I can't justify it.

I'm just another poor shrinking middle class American trying to make ends meet! :eek:........:joke:........:doorag:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Nathan, I'll be going back to the Elite III 250 for my next tire. I'm not saying the Metz 260 isn't a great tire BUT I had no problem in the twisties with the Elite III. When you factor in all the variables, the Metz just isn't worth it IMHO.

When I change back to the Elite III, I guess I'll know for sure if the Metz is all that. If I'm in the back of the pack, you'll know it was the Metz helping me before. :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Nathan, I'll be going back to the Elite III 250 for my next tire. I'm not saying the Metz 260 isn't a great tire BUT I had no problem in the twisties with the Elite III. When you factor in all the variables, the Metz just isn't worth it IMHO.
Really??? See now thats interesting. Like I said, I like the E3 but I don't have any basis for comparison to the Metz. I'll sell yours back to you for $199.00 :joke: Insider deal!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Along those lines its not like you can't ride "aggressive" with the Dunnie or even the Stocker because you can. I scrapped my front frame & buried my footbpegs in some curves with the stock 240 on and rode it out just fine.

But I agree with the budget and overall riding style choice in general. If the Metz got close to the same mileage then I would probably go ahead and spend the extra for it. But if the difference is as much as you state then I can't justify it.

I'm just another poor shrinking middle class American trying to make ends meet! :eek:........:joke:........:doorag:
Well, when I ride with Giddy, I know that he can't pull away from me in the twisities....and if he does, it is more him then the tires. I agree, I have been aggressive and ripped a peg apart on a twisty. To me, that is about as far as I would push it and the tire handled it awesome.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
it is more him then the tires......and the tire handled it awesome.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. There is a difference in tires for sure, but there's an even greater difference in riders and what aggressive level they can or are willing to ride and push the bike to.

I'm trying to tone it down in general because I got kids and a wife and they don't need to be widowed anytime soon. But it's hard for me to do that at times.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head there. There is a difference in tires for sure, but there's an even greater difference in riders and what aggressive level they can or are willing to ride and push the bike to.

I'm trying to tone it down in general because I got kids and a wife and they don't need to be widowed anytime soon. But it's hard for me to do that at times.
:agree: Guaranteed that you could put a E3 on Lucky06's bike, and give me the world's stickiest tire and he would still walk away from me in the turns. That is the main reason why I ride to relax and buy these tires. If I wanted to tear up the mountains I surely wouldn't do it with the 9. I would do what Bobby did and go buy a sport bike and have fun.... and still watch Chad pass me. lol

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
:agree: Guaranteed that you could put a E3 on Lucky06's bike, and give me the world's stickiest tire and he would still walk away from me in the turns. That is the main reason why I ride to relax and buy these tires. If I wanted to tear up the mountains I surely wouldn't do it with the 9. I would do what Bobby did and go buy a sport bike and have fun.... and still watch Chad pass me. lol
LOL! Yeah it's fun "trying" to stay with Chad, it makes me a better rider. His bike is a beast and he's a excellent rider. Bobby is also an excellent rider and likes to "think" his 109 is a sportbike. Having said that they got passed by a guy on a (gulp) Harley Davidson on the Dragon and we all got passed by a Fedex Van in the mountains in TN in which I witnessed. :eek:

Both the biker rider and the van driver were just freaking insane!!!!!.....(I wonder if they were running Metzler tires :dontknow:)

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
. .....Having said that they got passed by a guy on a (gulp) Harley Davidson on the Dragon and we all got passed by a Fedex Van in the mountains in TN in which I witnessed. :eek:
That HD rider was skilled for sure and it was very clear to me that he has hit the Dragon about 100 times (at least). He knew every curve and the upcoming curve(s) like it was his own driveway. His bike definitely had more clearance than the 9 but he was a great rider just the same. I bought this photo just because he was in it...LOL.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts