M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

There has been a lot of info exchanged on the board regarding tires so I'm taking the liberty to offer some insight on what your options are. Please note that I'm not endorsing any tire/rim combo as being safe other than the stock fitting ( Dunnie 240/40-R18 on 8.5 inch rim ). Tires are a matter of personal choice and the more info available to the user the better "informed choice" you'll have for your particular application. Data in this post will include "actual measurements" when possible and will be identified by a asterisk (*). Also included will be estimated costs of tires and pictures, when available, of actual applications. Note...bead to bead measurements were taken from unmounted tires.

!. Stock Dunnie 240/40-R18.......bead to bead width...*8.5 inches.....overall width when mounted *9.5 inches........est. cost $250 to $400.....overall width before mounting *9.375 inches

2. Avon Venom R 250/40-R18.....bead to bead width....*9 inches overall width when mounted *9.750......est. cost $195 to $225.........overall width before mounting *10 inches

3. Dunnie Elite 3 250/40-R18.......bead to bead width....*9.375 inches.....overall width when mounted *10 inches.......est. cost $120 to $160.......overall width before mounting *10.375 inches

4. Metz ME 880 260/40-R18........bead to bead width...... overall width when mounted *9.875.......est. cost $175 to $200

5. Metz ME880 280/35-R18.........bead to bead width.......*10 inches overall width when mounted *10.1875 inches.....est. cost $200 to $250.....overall width before mounting *10.6875 inches

Note: All of the above applications apply to the stock 8.5 inch wide rim and require NO SWING ARM MODIFICATION. Additionally no special installation procedures are required.

6. Metz ME880 280/35-R18 mounted to 10 inch wide rim with special hub....bead to bead width......*10.250 inches overall width when mounted *11 inches.......est. cost $2250 to $2350

Note: A special mounting installation procedure which recommends professional assistance/installation isrequired when the Metz 280/35-R18 is mounted to the 10 inch wide rim. The procedure, developed by Lamont, which requires the removal of the rear end and drive shaft assembly has been documented and is available on the "How to, Step by Step Board".

Avon Venom R 250/40-R18

Metz 280/35-R18 left, Stock Dunnie 240/40-R18 right

Metz 280 is 10.6875 inches wide ( unmounted )!

Bigger is better :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Re: Tire Info for Everyone

Very nice summary guy!
After reading through the numbers 1 - 6, I couldn't help but say to myself; "The ear to ear grin with the 280 mounted to a new rim" PRICELESS !!

Thanks again for the summary

·
Registered
974 Posts

Very nice post and helpful. THIS IS NOT a nitpick do you have more info on which tires are softer/harder etc and best for which type conditions a couple of those tires im not familiar with at all.

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

2006moy said:
Very nice post and helpful. THIS IS NOT a nitpick do you have more info on which tires are softer/harder etc and best for which type conditions a couple of those tires im not familiar with at all.

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Visit the manufacturers web and you should be able to get that info (sport/touring soft/hard compound) right from the horses mouth :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Re: Tire Info for Everyone updated 9/19/06

so, can you run the metz 280 without modifications???

don't know if I missed this or something?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

03svtsnakevert said:
so, can you run the metz 280 without modifications???

don't know if I missed this or something?
No mods required! Mount the 280 to the stock 8.5 inch rim and off you go! Several members are currently running this set-up and have reported that the tire profile is superior to that of the stock Dunnie and cornering is improved. I'll be mounting mine as soon as the Venom R is toasted :D :D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

bob109 said:
No mods required! Mount the 280 to the stock 8.5 inch rim and off you go! Several members are currently running this set-up and have reported that the tire profile is superior to that of the stock Dunnie and cornering is improved. I'll be mounting mine as soon as the Venom R is toasted :D :D
SWEET!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

When I go to the directlineparts website, it says it has to be mounted on a 10.5" rim...can I just ignore this???

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

When I go to the directlineparts website, it says it has to be mounted on a 10.5" rim...can I just ignore this???
i wouldn't "ignore" any information anyone gives you. process it, make a decision for yourself, and assume responsibility for that decision. there's a thread here discussing the 280 on a stock rim. do a search for it and just be aware of the risks.

·
Registered
600 Posts

03svtsnakevert said:
SWEET!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT TO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

It says that for the same reason the sticker on a blow dryer says "Do not use while bathing". It relieves certain parties from liability should the product they sell or manufacture cause you injury (or worse) or damage to your M due to said product being used other than for or where it was intended - which includes fitment guidelines :D

In other words... "Mount this to anything other than a 10.5 inch rim at your own risk" :doorag:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Trouble_Is said:
It says that for the same reason the sticker on a blow dryer says "Do not use while bathing". It relieves certain parties from liability should the product they sell or manufacture cause you injury (or worse) or damage to your M due to said product being used other than for or where it was intended - which includes fitment guidelines :D

In other words... "Mount this to anything other than a 10.5 inch rim at your own risk"Â Â :doorag:
Litigation/Injury Awards are the norm for our society! Go to McDonald's buy a cup of hot coffee and dump it in your lap while driving...lawsuit! Go to Wendy's and find a finger in your chili...lawsuit ( even if it didn't happen )! Smoke cigarettes for 40 years and sue the tobacco company's for health issues! Buy a SUV with a high center of gravity and roll it over....lawsuit....the list goes on and on!
The intent of the post was to give readers/members a consolidated look at all the available data on the current tires which people have been either running or are considering running on their 109. It is not a endorsement by myself or any other individual as to the safe application of tire/rim sizes ! As I stated in the original post, the only "safe tire" application, as supplied by the manufacturer, is the Dunnie D221 240/40-R-18 mounted on the stock 8.5 inch wide rim. That tire, in fact, is available from Suzuki Dealers only and is rather pricey IMHO for a cycle tire. The D221 is manufactured in Japan under license from Dunlop. That may be justification for the high price :dontknow: :dontknow: The Dunnie Elite 3 is domestically produced which may be the reason it is the cheapest of all the tire brands. Both the Avon and Metz's are imported, England and Germany respectively, hence their high prices!!
The tire you choose to use is one of individual choice and the consolidated info was meant to give you enough information on dimensions/cost so you could compare the data and make a informed decision on what best suits your personal needs :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts