M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for opinions. I am wondering who here has had a catastrophic tire failure (blow out) due to the tire being patched or plugged.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had a plug put in a Metz rear after only 400 miles of use, ran it another until it was worn out with no problems.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I rode with 2 plugs in the rear for 3500 miles. Spinning the tire at times. Held great for me. No Problems with it at all

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,949 Posts
I've plugged a few bike tires and never had a problem with them. Some were done because they were almost worn out and I just wanted to run it until a new one came in, others were almost new tires that I didn't want to waste.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I plugged my tire on the side of the road after getting a nail in it on a ride about a year ago on my truimph trophy.I had it for about 6 months before replacing the tire,never had a problem..

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
You also have to think about how you have your tires balanced. If you are running beads, it might effect the balance of the tire if the beads are hitting the plug. But if you had a plug/patch put in, it would not effect the beads at all. But that is a much more costly repair. Personally I would plug mine to get back home and then put a new tire on there. I mean we only have two tires and I want to make sure that they are in perfect condition. My life is worth more then the $160 replacement.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I plug my wing two up and the trailer to get home (500 miles) but it's me and the wife most of the time so I replaced it. I keep plugs and a pump on both bikes :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Back when, I had one of them strange Yamaha FZ-700SC Fazers. One year I had put a brand new rear tire on it, and on the way home picked up a nail.

You did not think I was gonna go buy a new tire now, did'ja?

Nope, plugged it up and rode that puppy for two years, until it was worn out. Nary a problem.

Plug it up!:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Back when, I hgad one of them strange Yamaha FZ-700SC Fazers. One year I had put a brand new rear tire on it, and on the way home picked up a nail.

You did not think I was gonna go buy a new tire now, did'ja?

Nope, plugged it up and rode that puppy for two years, until it was worn out. Nary a problem.

Plug it up!:bigthumbsup:
Over 600 miles on the back of the 9 with a Slime string plug, in the dead of 90+ summer. Never changed my riding style, good over 100 mph. Never lost a pound of air.

Just tried to get a few more miles out of the stock tire. Hated to throw out a tire with usable tread.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
rynosback;1384832 Personally I would plug mine to get back home and then put a new tire on there. I mean we only have two tires and I want to make sure that they are in perfect condition. My life is worth more then the $160 replacement.[/QUOTE said:
I couldn't agree more....you can have 10 successful attempts at running a plugged tire and only one failure....anyone out there want to be that one? There are variables with tire temperatures,road conditions,belts affect on the plug, and the dynamics of the hole itself that a mere mortal like myself cannot comprehend. This is not the 60's anymore when 80 mph was an aggressive ride on a bike(yes I've broke a hundred on occasions back then...but that wasn't often) Today a lot of us will run over 100 on a regular basis.....you do understand the amount of heat generated at 100-125- or higher right? The hole and plug are a irregularity...and will not react the same as the tire. My opinion and most racers will tell you..plug it, keep your speed down and replace the tire as soon as possible. I have in my early years of motorcycling had one front blow out and one rear....they were not plugged tires as we had tubes back then...and I'm sure a blow out on a tubeless tire is different but I wouldn't wish it on anyone at 60+ mph...I'll just plug it to get home thanks :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Maybe The Guys That had a Plugged Tire fail ain't around any more

But i agree With the Other guys ,, You got to do what you need to, to get home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts