M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My shop, independent, that does all my non warranty work, did my tires recently. Rear was done almost perfect, no rim marks from tooling on it. One small nick where we ran into rear caliper putting wheel back on. This tech did a great job. He was not available yesterday, so he used another guy to do my front. Two inch drag on one side, looked like symmetrical ding marks(maybe from machine) on both sides, and pry marks getting the wheel weight off.

Standing upright none of this can be see, except a bit where the wheel weight was. Only when cleaning.

So, am I too picky? Or is it the luck of the draw when it comes to techs?? Is some marking possible no matter what?

Or is the front just a bitch to remove?

Getting some YB8 touch up from Colorite to see what I can do.

Later
Chris

·
Registered
245 Posts
That sucks bro, I remember when I had replaced my back tire on my 93' GSX-R 750... The guy put the tire on fine, but left about 30 black grease hand prints all over my white rims. And you can image how much dirt stuck to the grease from riding it back home...:verymad:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Not sure what type of machine they used, but the one I used for my chrome rim catches the wheel from the outside of the rim lip, not on the rim surface. (so instead of the machine clamping the wheel from inside and the clamps moving outward, it does it on the outside clamping inward) No chance of scratching the rim. I wouldn't say your picky, I'm the same way. Everything has to be just so......

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I was up close and personal with my rear,,,Tire that is today, and the place that mounted mine a month or so ago, Left some jagged little spurs taking off the wheel weights!! Gezzz I told him when I took them in, dont mess the rims up. Had to take a tiny file today and dress them up, Took care of about 60% of what could be seen. Dinged my blue reflector tape as well, LOL

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Well, I have to say I am sorry to hear this, but not the first either---and surely not the last. I had a machine that I used to use and really never had a problem---until one day (you knew this was coming) it just started to scratch the inner lip. I caught it in time and it was never noticeable at any angle, But I never felt right about it. So, I sold the machine and really started researching others. I went with a NoMar unit---set me back about $900. No way possible for it to scratch---no metal ever comes in contact with the rim. Yes, it is a manual unit, but I have full control of the installation---plus the company really backs their products, unreal is more to the point. I have never looked back after buying it, and I know my customers appreciate it---wether they know it or not.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ultra silver paint

If you want to try painting the wheel, I've found that Ultra Silver paint matches very well. Just "silver" is too dark. I've used 2 different brands, and they both match great, just make sure it says "Ultra Silver".
The best way to use a spray can is to make sure it's warm. I run a basin of hot water, and float the can for 10 minutes. Shake it real good. Make sure the wheel or whatever you're painting is warm. Either in the sun, or warmed with a 100 watt bulb or space heater real close.
I thought our wheels were powder coated until I cleaned it with lacquer thinner, it took the factory "powder coat" right off. I had to remove the gunk I sprayed in to stop a leak. Messy.
It must have looked ok, the tire guy asked me if it was a new wheel. Matches the front perfectly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I have to say I am sorry to hear this, but not the first either---and surely not the last. I had a machine that I used to use and really never had a problem---until one day (you knew this was coming) it just started to scratch the inner lip. I caught it in time and it was never noticeable at any angle, But I never felt right about it. So, I sold the machine and really started researching others. I went with a NoMar unit---set me back about $900. No way possible for it to scratch---no metal ever comes in contact with the rim. Yes, it is a manual unit, but I have full control of the installation---plus the company really backs their products, unreal is more to the point. I have never looked back after buying it, and I know my customers appreciate it---wether they know it or not.
Wish I'da known that, I would have made the trip! :)

It's not horrible, and most guys would not notice. As I get more nicks on the rims from riding, won't make much dif. I did figure out what the pairs of marks were on each side opposite one another - from their front chock when I had my BACK wheel done. :verymad:

I wish we had more to choose from up here. Their knowledge is great, but their equipment, not so much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to try painting the wheel, I've found that Ultra Silver paint matches very well. Just "silver" is too dark. I've used 2 different brands, and they both match great, just make sure it says "Ultra Silver".
The best way to use a spray can is to make sure it's warm. I run a basin of hot water, and float the can for 10 minutes. Shake it real good. Make sure the wheel or whatever you're painting is warm. Either in the sun, or warmed with a 100 watt bulb or space heater real close.
I thought our wheels were powder coated until I cleaned it with lacquer thinner, it took the factory "powder coat" right off. I had to remove the gunk I sprayed in to stop a leak. Messy.
It must have looked ok, the tire guy asked me if it was a new wheel. Matches the front perfectly.
Yeah, I was matching color swatches at the body shop today. Paying 9.95 for Duplicolor to cover them ok, not Color Rite for $30 shipped! Last bit I bought from them didn't match very well. Figure my eyes can't do any worse.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was up close and personal with my rear,,,Tire that is today, and the place that mounted mine a month or so ago, Left some jagged little spurs taking off the wheel weights!! Gezzz I told him when I took them in, dont mess the rims up. Had to take a tiny file today and dress them up, Took care of about 60% of what could be seen. Dinged my blue reflector tape as well, LOL
Sorry to hear that Nemo. Human error!! Grrrrr.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Wonder how painting wheels would hold up to these changer thugs!! I was thinking of painting mine same color as my bike then use the 2 part clear, Suppose to be pretty hard..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that sucks...I always cringe when I see that sign at most shops "not responcible for damaging rims"

I'm like WTF....I "used" to be in shop class (years ago) and NEVER screwed up a rim.....needless to say I find a shop that does not have that policy....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I change my own and have gotten a few scrapes around the lip of the rim. My solution was to take a flat file and just hold it tight to the lip and run it around it. It removes the pain, the scuffs, and leaves a nice shiny edge. You can't really even tell the lip is shiny, but the scrapes are no longer there.

The only nick I've gotten in it was from a C-clamp I was using to hold the tire on while working the other side around. I'd cushioned the clamp, but didn't notice it had pivoted and was bearing against the rim. It put one small nick in it that you can feel with a finger nail, and it's a little too much to file out.

I've put 3 sets of tires on it so it's not bad. But if I were paying someone else to do it, I'd expect no nicks or scrapes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im the same way with my stuff, id be furious. Im about to get my stuff powdercoated and am nervous about the very same thing.

love the color of your bike tho, same as mine of course

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I'd be pissed too. :verymad: Just learn to change your own by hand with 3 levers and a few rim protectors. It's a fairly easy job once you see someone do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts