M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS, TELL ME ITS NOT TRUE. I JUST BOUGHT 06 M109 THAT HAS THE 10 INCH RC WHEEL WITH 280 REAR METZ. TIRE. IT LOOKS GOOD. BUT TODAY I WAS TALKIING TO A FELLOW M109 OWNER WHO HAS SAME SET UP AND HE TELLS ME THAT IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE REAR TIRE WITH THE 10" RIM AND 280 YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE
DRIVE SHAFT AXLE, HUB, ALSO WHEN PUTTING IT BACK ON YOU HAVE TO
REMOVE THE GEAR BOX TO GET IT ALL IN AND THEN IT IS A REAL REAL BITCH TO GET IT ALL MESHED IN AND FITTED, NOT COUNTING TRYING TO GET THE WHEEL AND TIRE INSIDE THE STOCK SWINGARM!!! HE TOLD ME IT TAKES HIM AN ENTIRE DAY TO DO ALL THIS WHEN HE NEEDS A REAR
TIRE CHANGE. HE SAID HE WAS SORRY HE DID NOT STICK WITH THE STOCK SIZE REAR RIM AND PUT A 260 TIRE ON. IF THIS IS TRUE I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM. REALLY, A 250 OR 260 LOOKS JUST AS BAD ASS AND A WHOLE LOT EASIER TO LIVE WITH!!!! SO , IF YOU GUYS WITH THE 280'S TELL ME THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO CHANGE THE TIRE, I WILL SHORTLY BE SELLING MY 10 INCH RC SAVAGE REAR TIRE AND IF RC DOES NOT SELL A SAVAGE STOCK SIZE REAR WHEEL TO MATCH MY FRONT STOCK SIZE SAVAGE, THEN THEY WILL BOTH BE FOR SALE. IF IT TAKES ALL THIS TO RUN A 280 THEN (NO OFFENSE) YOU GUYS MUST HAVE LOTS OF TIME TO DO IT OR LOTS OF MONEY TO PAY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DO IT. PLEASE GUYS, TELL ME IT AINT SO.
ALSO, I LIVE IN FL. NEAR DAYTONA CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME M109ERS WHO LIVE IN THAT GENERAL AREA , WOULD LOVE TO MEET SOME RIDERS IN MY AREA OR ANYWHERE NEAR BY IN FLORDIA. THANKS, MUCH

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
He is 100% correct for the most part. However, it DOES NOT take all day. Maybe the first time you do it, but it can be done in a couple hours. There are a couple ways of doing it. The side "gear box" is known as the secondary drive. You undo that and you will lose some oil. Best to do it at an oil change if possible. You have basically get the rim in the swingarm and then put the hub/driveshaft back in. You then can mount the secondary onto the u-joint and rough it back into place and bolt the secondary back up. WE have found that another easier but longer option is to remove the exhaust, and the pivot bolt for the swingarm. That allows the swingarm to drop down and a lot more flexibility getting it all mated it up. Keep the bike lower so the hub is basically inside the diameter of the rim and you get that all situationed. Lift up the swing arm and push the pivot bolt back in and torque. then it is just about lifting up the rim and slide the axle through.

If you have a sideburner exahaust, no need to pull the pipe, but most others you need to. I can do it start to finish in about 2 hours from taking pipes off, installing and putting pipes back on.

This is the exact reason I kept my stock rims and had them chromed with a 250 tire.

P.s. welcome to the board.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Wow,, the price of being different :D, I will stick with my 250, a little wiggling and it goes in..........

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Wow,, the price of being different :D, I will stick with my 250, a little wiggling and it goes in..........
Yep, the exact reason I want no part of the larger size. On top of the fact of all that is discussed, the 280 or 300 tire doesn't last as long as my E3. I do 12k miles a year so I am not trying to do that swap twice a year with the 280.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I cnange out a 280 with 10" on a stock swing arm in 40 minutes !!!

The 300 on a modified swing arm takes a bit longer ......maybe an hour and a half............:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
wow!!

This is all new to me!!!! Didn't know it was that involved. May not be worth it and just stick with the 250 and be happy!!!!!! But the ish!!! sure does look AWESOME!!!!!!!! Holla

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
This is all new to me!!!! Didn't know it was that involved. May not be worth it and just stick with the 250 and be happy!!!!!! But the ish!!! sure does look AWESOME!!!!!!!! Holla
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a good friend to help, it is not that hard. Not hard enough to really sway the decision if that is what you really want.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We didnt have to undo anything for my 280 to come off..just had to let air out of the tire, shimmey it in there and then air up. Was it tight...yes...but nothing else had to come off.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
We didnt have to undo anything for my 280 to come off..just had to let air out of the tire, shimmey it in there and then air up. Was it tight...yes...but nothing else had to come off.
But why take the chance in marking up your $$ rim?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a good friend to help, it is not that hard. Not hard enough to really sway the decision if that is what you really want.
But if you are not mechanically inclined and unless you have a friend who
is and has time to help you, then you are screwed. We all know th e suzuki people would really screw it up and charge you a fortune. So my point is WHAT IS THE POINT? A 250 or 260 looks just as good, without the lost time & money. my bike was bought with the 280 and when I found out all the bs that is involved with it , I will be selling my 10in. RC Savage rear and buying the RC Savage 8.5 in rear, will still have the great looks but without the super hassel you need to change tires or GOD forbid have a flat on the road that you cannot plug!! In my opinion the 280 is not in anyway worth it to me! I contacted RC and the 8.5 in Savage Chrome costs $1,675 the 10 in costs $1,875. Thanks Bigpapa for confirming my worst nightmare regarding the 10 in. 280 tire. Like you said this was the reason you stayed with the stock size wheel, you were very wise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you saying that all you have to do is let the air out of the tire and you can remove it and re-install a new one without any of the hassels I have mentioned here and other have confirmed! Wow, that would be great, but like it was noted here, did you scratch the wheel, at almost $2,000 for the RC Chrome wheel it would not be worth it if the wheel gets scratched. Can you give me details or photos of how you did this with out hurting the wheel. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the 10" 280 set up too, and it only takes about 20 to 30 min for me to get the rear wheel off. 1. I put the bike on the bike lift ( Walmart lift ) 2. the exhaust has to come off. 3. take the axle nut off then the screws out of the rotor ,take off the brake caliper. 4. pull the axle all the way out then jack the bike up untill you can piviot the wheel out. if you are looking at the back of the bike twist the back of the wheel to the right and the wheel comes right out. key when you jack the bike up the right side of the swingarm will need to be at the top of the wheel.next time i take mine off i will do a how to with pics. It's not as bad as you think.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Are you saying that all you have to do is let the air out of the tire and you can remove it and re-install a new one without any of the hassels I have mentioned here and other have confirmed! Wow, that would be great, but like it was noted here, did you scratch the wheel, at almost $2,000 for the RC Chrome wheel it would not be worth it if the wheel gets scratched. Can you give me details or photos of how you did this with out hurting the wheel. Thanks, Bill
Yes, that is all you "need" to do. I know of a few people who have done it. However, if I am spending $2+ grand on rims, that is surely not the way I am doing it. One slip up and you nick it. Not worth it at all to even try it that way for me, but kudos to those that have the balls to. :a20:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I always tape up my rim to help prevent any damage. I Losen Hub bolts, helps as does a second set of "trusted" hands :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have the 10" 280 set up too, and it only takes about 20 to 30 min for me to get the rear wheel off. 1. I put the bike on the bike lift ( Walmart lift ) 2. the exhaust has to come off. 3. take the axle nut off then the screws out of the rotor ,take off the brake caliper. 4. pull the axle all the way out then jack the bike up untill you can piviot the wheel out. if you are looking at the back of the bike twist the back of the wheel to the right and the wheel comes right out. key when you jack the bike up the right side of the swingarm will need to be at the top of the wheel.next time i take mine off i will do a how to with pics. It's not as bad as you think.
That would certainly be helpful. In my opinion, the hardest most frustrating part is lining up the the final drive (axle) to go back into the universal joint. If not for that part, the job would be, like some said, a hour job tops.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
its not that bad guys, i just take the hubs off, no big deal no more than an hour tops. its worth the look and ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yup...No problems and no scratches. YOu could also tape the rim just to be safe. :)

Sorry no pics, I didnt even think about that when we put the new tire on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup...No problems and no scratches. YOu could also tape the rim just to be safe. :)

Sorry no pics, I didnt even think about that when we put the new tire on.
Dave, could you elaborate giving me exactly how you take your 280 off and re-install with new tire. I know you leave air out, tape the rim so not to get scratched. then what else do you do to remove it? Also I assume you have the 10 inch wheel with the 280 and not the stock wheel size.
Thanks for your help, cause if I can do it like you say I would keep the
10inch wheel and 280 tire. Thanks , Bill

1 - 20 of 56 Posts