M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 06 109 developed a tinny rattle, like a loose washer on a bolt sound, around the clutch cover area, happens when i start it up, bit will go away after i rev or ride, which leads me to believe something went funky in the clutch or basket assembly, especially since it doesn't come back unless i shut it off, let it sit for a minute, then fire it back up. Time for the gen 2 clutch assembly?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
It is probably the springs within the clutch basket. Try pulling in the clutch while it is idling and see if it goes away or quiets some. If it does then it is the springs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't. One of the first things i thought of when i heard it coming from that area. The second was blipping the throttle, and that gets it to quiet down a bit

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Heat shields on the exhaust.
That was my first thought too after he said it didn't go away when the clutch was pulled. One of the welded on brackets that the hose clamps go through broke off on the upper pipe on my Swepts and it would buzz at certain rpms.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Heat shields on the exhaust.
Very good call Joe. Let;s see what 60ratrod's response will be after he checks to see of that was actually the problem. This Forum is loaded with some very talented, gifted, smart, experienced, and just utterly-awesome members. You guys amaze me quite often, with your abilities to analyze things, and be so darned accurate about it!!! :)(y)(y)(y):)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very good call Joe. Let;s see what 60ratrod's response will be after he checks to see of that was actually the problem. This Forum is loaded with some very talented, gifted, smart, experienced, and just utterly-awesome members. You guys amaze me quite often, with your abilities to analyze things, and be so darned accurate about it!!! :)(y)(y)(y):)
I've been at this for a while. 🤣

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've been at this for a while. 🤣
I can tell Bro!!! :)(y)(y)(y):) I'm just one of those guys who likes to give people their credit and just due whenever and wherever I witness it. I'm not easily impressed, but when I am impressed, I will surely make it known through my complimentary articulation. I will always choose to speak life into others, and lift them up with positive comments, rather than tearing someone down with deadly and negative comments that hurt or damage someone's spirit.:D:D:D(y)(y)(y):D:D:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's changed from a tinny rattle to a squeaky chirp that actually does go away with the clutch pulled in. The rattle went away on Friday, which made me think that it may have been my guardian bell, but now with the sound change i know i need to dig further

Reactions: biker-chicky

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
I would still check the exhaust pipe clamps. If you have an ATRE on it, the idle speed changes when you pull the clutch in, it idles slower. That's enough to make the chirp or rattle either change note or go away. Even if you don't have an ATRE, just changing the load on the engine by disengaging the clutch could make the noise change.

Plus I've never heard of the clutch basket making a chirping noise. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I feel super dumb. Rc51 was right, broken tack weld on the front cylinder exhaust shield top clamp. Although it doesn't help i have a 91 suburban 1500 4x4 i'm ls swapping for an alternative dd, and a 1970 toronado gt that every time i think i got it ok something else pops up. Right now i have to drop the tank on that to chase fuel lines in order to not have it run from a bottle or gas can. Guess with everything i went straight to worst case scenario 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
Excellent, glad you found it. After what you described and knowing what mine did when one of those welds broke, I was pretty sure RC51 had gotten that one right, (y) (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts