M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if these bikes come with the timing retarded from the factory like the GSXR's? I know the rocket III is retarded in I think firts and second gear to help control wheel spin.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has any idea about this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hmmm....good question. I had a 1200 Bandit before, same basic inline 4 of the gixxer, same timing issues in terms of being able to buy timing advancers and the like. I pulled this off of the AMA website,
"In the short-and-compact department, Suzuki utilizes a two-stage cam chain system, for timing reduction, to drive the overhead cams—thus keeping the height of the engine down."

I am not sure of by "timing reduction" they are saying timing retardation. I will say that these v-twins are a pretty different animal from the good old inlines. I will look for more info.

Another clip, "32-bit ECM provides precise control of ignition timing and multi-hole-type injectors ensuring quick startup and excellent drivability under all conditions."

If anything it would probably invlove remapping the ECm and not installing an actual mechanical device like a 5 degree timing advancer, gixxer guys might know that one, or tricking out the ECM in some way. I'm just a shade-tree mechanic and by no means an expert. Maybe a call to a factory trained tech would help. On the other hand if they can't get the oil filling down...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts