M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this off for far too long, mainly because I've been hesitant to start cutting stuff off my bike. I received my Baron Stealth Plate Kit in the mail yesterday and just finished printing off some photos and directions from members on how to do this...just have to run up to Home Depot to buy some stuff I don't have for the project and get started.

The plan is to have it all done by the time my wife gets home from work so I don't get the "When did you buy that?"...and the ever popular "Why can't you just leave the bike alone?" :D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I put this off for far too long, mainly because I've been hesitant to start cutting stuff off my bike. I received my Baron Stealth Plate Kit in the mail yesterday and just finished printing off some photos and directions from members on how to do this...just have to run up to Home Depot to buy some stuff I don't have for the project and get started.

The plan is to have it all done by the time my wife gets home from work so I don't get the "When did you buy that?"...and the ever popular "Why can't you just leave the bike alone?" :D
:clap2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Go for it... I put it off as well for the same reason. It was easy once I got started. I used an angle grinder to cut the frame piece so the new bracket sits flush against it. Best mod I have done so far...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm holding off and wanting to debeaver so bad...but I'm scared...I can see my wife now looking on as I saw parts of brand new bike off...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm holding off and wanting to debeaver so bad...but I'm scared...I can see my wife now looking on as I saw parts of brand new bike off...
who paid for it ? you or her ?

look at it this way , the replacement part to bring it back to stock isn't that expensive so you can always go back ....

·
Registered
57 Posts
who paid for it ? you or her ?

look at it this way , the replacement part to bring it back to stock isn't that expensive so you can always go back ....
Interesting. Any idea how much that replacement part is? I too share the same concerns as others. I want to do it but cutting parts is a little unnerving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Baron kit does fit on the M90 ? ???

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The Baron kit does fit on the M90 ? ???
It fits...the only thing you have to do is drill 2 holes to line up with the holes in the M90 cross bracket.

It took me about 6+ hours to finish...I don't have access to a grinder so I had to file the bracket by hand to get it even and I painted the bracket where I cut so I didn't have to worry about rust later down the road, but it was well worth the time. Plus I had an excuse to go out and buy a reciprocating saw.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
did you have to drill out the holes to mount the stock indicators. Would the rated r eliminator fit aswell if you redrill the mounting holes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
did you have to drill out the holes to mount the stock indicators. Would the rated r eliminator fit aswell if you redrill the mounting holes.
Yeh Snakes thats the one i got and it works well,just had to redrill the holes to suit,so order up and get the recipro saw out and hack away!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Removing the plastic plate holder is relatively simple using a hacksaw blade. There is a lip that allows you to make a clean cut. The tricky part is cutting the frame piece. I used an angle grinder and cut it flush with the cross bracket. See photo from previous post. I love the new LED turn signals from J & P. There is a great thread with photos on the procedure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did you have to drill out the holes to mount the stock indicators.
Nope, the Baron kit had holes for the turn signals...however the holes were a tad smaller. Rather than trying to drill the holes larger, I used a larger bolt I had laying around and threaded it through to widen the holes enough to allow my stock turn signals to slide right in.

Helpful hint...if you're like me and never label the bolts so you know where they go during the re-installation, take the nuts and bolts from parts you cut off and toss them or set them aside separately from everything else. That way when you get it all put back together you're not freaking out because you thought you forgot to bolt something :D

It was a relatively simple mod to do. Like everyone says take your time. There were times during the process I kept telling myself I should have left the beaver on, but once you make that first cut there's no turning back. I printed off and followed Kev's directions (with photos) and they worked like a champ!

http://www.m90.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=545

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just curious...what is the reason you guys have not done the side mount license plate from Shayne. I too am planning on the De-beaver and liked the ultra-clean look of the side mount.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not partial to the side mounted plate and in Wisconsin that would be referred to as Improper Display of Registration $150.10 :joke:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
About $250 and change...
it was allot closer to $100.00 when I checked on mine about a year ago .

you may want to shop around a bit.

still , $250.00 isn't bad ..... you are going to pay that much for some ISO grips ... ( pending options and if you install them yourself and how much beer you drink while working on them )

one way or the other it isn't like cutting holes in your frame or hacking up your swingarm , it is an easy mode to " un do "

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not just remove the whole plastic frame ?

I am considering de-beavering as well...and I have a question for those who have done it already...:dontknow:

If planning on using side-mount license plates, what remains of the plastic frame after cutting ? Why not just remove the whole plastic frame ???

Never mind...I see that it holds the rear brake light.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts