M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot of the posts on tires and want to make my final selection. I have 22k on the bike and 12k on this last set of tires, 240 and 130 elite III's.

I want to go with 250 and 160, what combination of tire brands did you pick and are you happy with your choice.

Can you help a fella out and post your choice.

Thanks

:super:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just installed a 160/60 front and a 260/40 front and what a difference runs great handles better than with stocks. BTW they are Metzler's. You will love the new look with bigger front and rear.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
You only have two tires touching the road...Your riding a killer bad azz bike....With lots of balls..!!!...GO with the best rubber you can't afford..!!

METZ or AVON......This is not a place to skimp...Ride safe:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well I went with the E3's, 250 on rear and stock size up front. Dont know how they ride, as I've yet to actually ride the bike with them on (and wont be able to for at least another month or two).

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Avon ,Metz ,E3 250 seem to be the top choices and everyone seems happy with all...go with what fits your budget...Took me a while to decide too...settled on Metz 280/160 combo just showed up....Look kick azz on the chrome wheels...Hope to have em on in a couple hours..will let you know how it goes..

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Just installed a 160/60 front and a 260/40 front and what a difference runs great handles better than with stocks. BTW they are Metzler's. You will love the new look with bigger front and rear.
So, I am curious how you installed both a 160 and a 260 up front? Must be quite unique looking, to say the least.???

I currently have over 4000 miles on a Dunlop 250 rear 130 front, and the amount of tread left indicates I will get near 8 to 9000 miles from the rear, more from the front. I have had no problems with the Elites whatsoever, and will buy them again for the next change.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I say a shinko 005 combo or 005/733 combo

G

·
If you know anything at all, about how tire size and profile work, to get a bike to turn, You'll understand that the 160/260 Metzeler combo is going to do that the best on the 9. Turning and stopping is what a Bike needs to do to it's best capability. It's better to pass on some of that shiny chrome stuff and tricky do-dads, than it is to skimp, where the rubber meets the road.

Avons would be next, then Dunlops E3s, as handling feel and ability go.

You really do get what you pay for where motorcycle tire quality is concerned. Cheeper and longer lasting are not going to give you the best performance. You may not normally use all that a tire is capable of....but it's nice to know it's there when you really need it.:bigthumbsup:

G

·
I just installed a 250 rear and a 130 front Avon. More than pleased. The Dunlop's don't compare in my book. The Metz would be my second choice. :doorag:
Why no 140? Thought that's what you were pondering....

Don't be knocking the Metz now, ol' Pegs gonna give you a right ol' talkin' to. :D You went second best. :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tires

160/60 up front, 260/40 out back, both Metzelers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Avon tires mentioned above and referred to on the link are Cobras. I have been running a 250 Cobra Venom on the rear (for 14,000 miles!) and am about to buy a new one for about $260. Looking at the listing on the Link above, I see that the "regular" Cobra, not the Venom, sells for nearly $50 Dollars less and gets very good reviews. Anybody have any insight as to whether the Cobra Venom is any better than the "regular" Cobra, or whether it's worth the extra money?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you know anything at all, about how tire size and profile work, to get a bike to turn, You'll understand that the 160/260 Metzeler combo is going to do that the best on the 9. Turning and stopping is what a Bike needs to do to it's best capability. It's better to pass on some of that shiny chrome stuff and tricky do-dads, than it is to skimp, where the rubber meets the road.

Avons would be next, then Dunlops E3s, as handling feel and ability go.

You really do get what you pay for where motorcycle tire quality is concerned. Cheeper and longer lasting are not going to give you the best performance. You may not normally use all that a tire is capable of....but it's nice to know it's there when you really need it.:bigthumbsup:
Pegasus,

Thanks for the input.

Thanks to all of you on your choices of tires.
I feel better make a selection from the ones forum members are using.

Pegasus, the 160 front tire would have to be installed opposite of tire rotation arrow, correct?
Keeping the tires same brand I think was also a preferred way to go I believe. Just checking to make sure I am getting my facts straight.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
If your getting 12k on a set of tires:eek: I GO BACK WITH THE SAME ONES! And keep praying, because someone is on your side! I get 6,500 miles out of a e-250 at best! So stay with what you have!!

G

·
Pegasus,

Thanks for the input.

Thanks to all of you on your choices of tires.
I feel better make a selection from the ones forum members are using.

Pegasus, the 160 front tire would have to be installed opposite of tire rotation arrow, correct?
Keeping the tires same brand I think was also a preferred way to go I believe. Just checking to make sure I am getting my facts straight.
That's my opinion based on over 30 yrs of experience. Don't mix brands. Metzlers web site has it in writing, that when running a rear on the front, that you run it opposite the direction of the arrow on the sidewall.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts