M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My 9 is a great bike. Tons of power and fun to ride BUT, not built very well. Bought it new in 07 currently has 4,300 miles and I already had to replace the rear tire. Now it needs front & rear brakes. Didn't realize such repairs would be necessary with so little mileage.

Anyway can anyone recommend a good set of brake pads? Looking for good stopping power and no black brake dust. Also longer lasting would be nice too.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow...:eek:I realize the tire issue as I rarely get more than 7500 out of the rear Metzler, but the brakes already? I have 19,000 plus miles and still have 50% front and rear. I do use the motor to slow down, blip the throttle, downshift. I dont baby this bike either.....by the way the stock tires are junk, rear was showing chords at 2700miles and front was gone at 5200 miles.......:doorag:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Are you making the determination you need pads, or is a dealer telling you that you do?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow...:eek:I realize the tire issue as I rarely get more than 7500 out of the rear Metzler, but the brakes already? I have 19,000 plus miles and still have 50% front and rear. I do use the motor to slow down, blip the throttle, downshift. I dont baby this bike either.....by the way the stock tires are junk, rear was showing chords at 2700miles and front was gone at 5200 miles.......:doorag:
Like I said (Great bike BUT not built very well).

Hope my new 250 Dunlop lasts longer.

I'm guessing my driving habits have a lot to do with this.

Hitting 130 quite often also eats gas.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
. Bought it new in 07 currently has 4,300 miles and I already had to replace the rear tire. Now it needs front & rear brakes. Didn't realize such repairs would be necessary with so little mileage.
I realize the tire issue as I rarely get more than 7500 out of the rear Metzler, but the brakes already? I have 19,000 plus miles and still have 50% front and rear.
I always find it interesting the HUGE difference in tire mileage & brake pad & fuel economy mileage that people post when we all have the exact same bike. It's got to have alot to do with how aggressively you ride, how the road conditions are in your area, how hard you brake....etc. The only one I can really understand easily is the fuel economy differences depending on your air/exhaust/FI controller setups.

Some people get 3,000 - 4,000 miles out of the stock 240 rear tire and some get double that. I have over 11,000 miles on my bike and I have at least 50% life on all three brake pad setups. I do downshift and motor brake as much as possible as well.

... not built very well
Tires & brake pads are perishable items made by third party companies & are not an indication of a poorly built bike. :doorag:

·
Registered
137 Posts
:agree:The normal wear items are not an indication of build quality.....after all would you accuse a BMW or other high dollar European car of poor build quality because their brakes wear quickly and discolor the rims......its part of the maintinence.....:bigthumbsup:

G

·
:agree:The normal wear items are not an indication of build quality.....after all would you accuse a BMW or other high dollar European car of poor build quality because their brakes wear quickly and discolor the rims......its part of the maintinence.....:bigthumbsup:
I actually prefer a little "dirtier" pad, generally they are better feel, modulation, and are gentler to rotors. Performance Friction are my ultimate fav. I run them on my street cars and my Ninja. Great stopping cold, but will put you through the window when hot!

Yes, I have to wash the rims every week, but it's an inconvenience I gladly take.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Hi Guys,

My 9 is a great bike. Tons of power and fun to ride BUT, not built very well. Bought it new in 07 currently has 4,300 miles and I already had to replace the rear tire. Now it needs front & rear brakes. Didn't realize such repairs would be necessary with so little mileage.

Anyway can anyone recommend a good set of brake pads? Looking for good stopping power and no black brake dust. Also longer lasting would be nice too.

Thanks,

Joe
Sometimes people blame the machine :eek:

I have 27,000 on the original brakes :edit:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I have 15,000 on the original pads, and they still look like they did when new. I got 11,000 miles out of the stock 240.

Suspect you are a hurry-up-and-wait driver, speeding between stoplights, slamming on the brakes at the last minute.

Nothing else could account for that kind of brake wear.

·
Registered
434 Posts
HATE TO SAY IT

With the tires and the brakes its all in how you ride. If you take a new rear tire and do a burn out you can wreck that tire in a few minutes. Its all in how you ride. If you rear brakes went that fast you must use you rear and front brakes for all stops. LOL Only my opinon. :-\

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
ride hard, spend hard, nature of the beast:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I ride my 9 hard and got 10,500 on the 240 and 14k on the front. 19k on the bike now. Down shifting when ever possible. More than 50% of pads left.....

That bike must have had the brakes on the whole time!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
No the brakes aren't excessely hot after a ride. Earlier someone mentioned having 1/8" left on the pads wasn't too bad. Maybe I can get a few more miles if I take it easy.

Thanks,

Joe
Did you pull the caliper off to look at the pads are just lean over and look? There isn't a lot of pad to start with. it looks like the pads have very little when on the bike but it is more apparent that you have plenty left when you pull it off. 1/8" I would think you have 5-10k miles left at least.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts