M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the Suzuki owners manual said to tighten the oil filter 2 full turns after making contact with the base, but the replacement Fram oil filter I bought said only 1 full turn? :dontknow:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess if I used a Suzuki filter I'd be good with Suzuki specs. But I have seen the o'ring break from over tightening filters on cars.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
While on the subject. Anyone know an easy way to remove and tighen the filter. I found it really difficult to get the filter wrench/socket on the filter in the first place.
Is there a trick to this I'm missing?
I managed, but at first, I was thinking the cowing had to come off.

G

·
I used a Fram and after 1 turn it was tight. Put over 600 miles on since changing it and nary a drop leaked.

The thread pitch should be the same on both types so why 2 turns beats me!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I bought a dual sized oil filter wrench which fits the bottom of the filter. It has a mount to place a 3/8 inch extension or rachet wrench. I purchased this at NAPA auto for arround $7. :tools: :doorag:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
someone said it was the o-ring design on the Suzuki filter is why it has to be tighter than the flat seal like Frams. I used the K & N #138 and it has similiar o-ring as stock. 2 turns was easy with the 17mm nut they have on the end of the filter. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Any filter which has a round gasket should be tightened a full 2 turns as the Service Manual recommends. Filters like Fram, Wix etc. which have a flat edge gasket should only be tightened 1/2 to 3/4 turns after initial gasket contact. If you tighten these filters two turns you can destroy the gasket causing a leak. Trying to remove any filter having a flat gasket which has been overtightened and subjected to normal engine temps over the course of 3K is a real headache : :( :( :(

·
Registered
296 Posts
bob109 hit it exactly right..... :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Canuk said:
While on the subject. Anyone know an easy way to remove and tighen the filter. I found it really difficult to get the filter wrench/socket on the filter in the first place.
Is there a trick to this I'm missing?
I managed, but at first, I was thinking the cowing had to come off.
slip the suzuki oil filter wrench cap on the oil filter first, then maneuver your socket or box-wrench into place.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Uh ya, I never thought about the box wrench... The ratchet will get in there after some fighting. I'll try the wrench, sounds like a better plan.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Canuk said:
Uh ya, I never thought about the box wrench... The ratchet will get in there after some fighting. I'll try the wrench, sounds like a better plan.
Can you say "Gearwrench" :D :bigthumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts