M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some help. When I'm getting ready to start my bike - turn key on, run button on, kickstand up, etc, there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from under the seat. Any thoughts?:dontknow:
Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
Does it keep ticking or stop after a while? The STCV cycles to calibrate the plates, but it only does it a few seconds.

If it continues to do it, it's probably your SET valve actuator trying to calibrate. They sometimes get stuck and just cycle back and forth rapidly. It's faster than one time per second. If you have an aftermarket exhaust they probably stuck it behind the side cover and left it hooked up with a fake cam on it.

My SET valve actuator did that before I removed it completely. Sounded like a clock ticking but faster and for a while I thought it was a relay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have after market pipes installed by the dealer and the bike was re-mapped. Is this anything to be concered with or do I just let it be?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,037 Posts
I do have after market pipes installed by the dealer and the bike was re-mapped. Is this anything to be concered with or do I just let it be?
If it's the SET actuator doing it, as I said mine did it for quite a while and it never caused any issues. I was actually surprised that it didn't once I discovered what it was.

Pull the side panel off and see if it's stuck in there. It's a rectangular box about 3" x 5" x 1" thick with a cam on top of it. There will be two groups of wires connected to it. When you turn the switch on you can see how it cycles all the way one way, then the other, then back partially. Mine would work normally when I checked it, but I know that's what was doing it because it stopped when I removed it. If it doesn't set an FI light and you don't mind the ticking, you can ignore it. But do verify that is what is doing it.

If you want to remove it, follow the steps in this how-to:
http://www.bigpapam109.com/downloads/disable_set.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts