M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Took the Beast to Thunder MFG in Pheonix, AZ today and put it on the Dyno. WOW, I am so blown away by how strong this bike is.Â

Met with Dave and Trent and we put it on the Dyno strapped her down and ran some stock runs. My bike was overfull with oil as many here have found. We had a mess to clean up when we took the air box off. Dave is very excited about what the air kit will do.

They do two runs prior to determing the viability of a airkit for a paticular bike, stock and open air. The following link is to a PDF of the runs and pictures.

http://www.efiledrawer.com/public/m109r_dyno_web.pdf

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/index.php?action=About_Us

Stock run was 112.2 HP and 100.8 Torque, these numbers are very good compared to my VTX 1800, but the news gets better. (Dave's optimisum)

Open Air run was 122.1 HP and 115.5 Torque, This is awesome with the stock muffler.

I have left the Beast with Dave and Trent and they will be working on there drawings for Airkit adapters and checking the exhuast gas' over the next few days. Dave thinks that this stock pipe might be done right with this dramatic increase on the open air run.

Local vender (Pipe City, Chandler AZ) made some calls for me on a Power Commander and Pipes from many vendors and they were told that it could be as long as September before we will see a Power Commander and The two companies that I inquired about pipes where intensely working on pipes, but still some time away.

I have offered up my bike through Thunder MFG for pipe and PCIII Testing/Development, Dave is going to make some calls. All we can do is hope they are interested or need a bike to complete there process.

Dave, asked me to tell everyone that it will take Thunder MFG about 30 days to get the units in the works. He is working on a link on there web site where you will be able to get on a list as they become available.

Additionally, my bike was running on "diesel fuel" as Dave put it, with the Oil in the air box. Top speed was in 4th gear at 127 MPH, 5th gear hit rev limiter at 5500 RPM, which is 2500 lower than the limiter in all other gears (Speed Limiter)

:bigthumbsup:Â Thanks RAW_TAZ,
:DÂ Chandler, AZ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What does "open air" mean? Is that without the air filters on either side? If so I am taking them off!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Becareful, you could suck up one of those nasty June Bugs or Locust, that will about snap your neck at 90 mph, depending on were you are at and have a big problem with one of the 8 Valves that are smacking away at 6000 rpm's.

Keep your air cleaner's on and give Dave a month and then bolt on 15 lbs of torque.

P.S.  The RAM Air effect is unknown at this time, but will be a awesome factor if you go with the Tornado kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He did not add diesel fuel, he was just refering to all of the oil that was getting mixed in the air intake from the crank case being over filled.

Although we may have found some other perfomance mod. :yikes:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
I placed a tornado in my car and RV and did not notice anything but me being $100 light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J R said:
So did he say a TRE would take care of the top speed limiter as on other bikes or did they do it different than the gps sensor???????/
We did not get into the top speed limiter removal as of yet I am sure we will sooner or later just not sure if I really want to go faster than 127 rear wheel speed, I have had my speedo at 120 and that was enough for me. I will get real speed vs indicated speed as it is off a lot.

RAW_TAZ

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is incredible news, and confirms what I've been saying about this motor, what I really cant wait to see is the thunder setup with a properly built 2 into 1 and a map made on the dyno, I'll go with the coverless one.

So the real question is will they be making a 2 into 1 like their vulcan pipe for the 109? :eek:

Cant wait to get my hands on those intakes, need to get on that list.............

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
:bigthumbsup: Dave and Trent are good guys, glad you made it over there. 8)

Did they do an air/fuel ratio with the open airbox? Was it rich or lean?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lamonster said:
:bigthumbsup: Dave and Trent are good guys, glad you made it over there. 8)

Did they do an air/fuel ratio with the open airbox? Was it rich or lean?
I got there late in the day yesterday. They will be doing that today. I may run by there this afternoon if schedule permits, but will know tommorow for sure.

RAW_TAZ

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
raw_taz said:
I got there late in the day yesterday. They will be doing that today. I may run by there this afternoon if schedule permits, but will know tommorow for sure.

RAW_TAZ
Tell Dave I said hey and tell him to check out the site when he gets a chance. 8)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Since we have two air cleaners on our bike, does that mean we'll end up with two Thunder intakes? Because that would just look awesome.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Correct, there was no way one intake was gonna feed those 2 massive slugs, and yes, it will look awesome.
I'll be going with the plain type A with no cover.

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is just incredible. 10-12 ponies and 15 torque increase by removing the filters? I wonder how much more power is plugged up in this thing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I remember posting in another thread how amazed I was when I pulled off the tank for the first time and caught a glimpse of that airbox. That thing is friggin' HUGE! I knew there was no way the two stock breathers could feed anywhere near what this bike could suck through that thing. I expected a significant increase in HP by getting more air to it, but damn, even I'm shocked by how much potential there is.

A couple of ram-airs and a Power Commander may be all this bike really needs.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
that's amazing. i'm very, very, very excited about the results of you guys' work. keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts