M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rains in the Houston area over the last few weeks, my 109 stayed in the garage. When I tried to start it, the battery was dead. I purchased a good charger form Sears for $90 to try and charge the battery. When the battery got to about 40% the charger would abort the charge. I took the charger and the battery to Sears and have them both checked...per Sears it looked like I had a bad cell. When I took the battery to Word Suzuki in League City, they refused to warranty the battery since I did not buy the bike from them. They cited potential dealer prep issues for the battery failure, which I understand if the failure occurred within a couple of weeks of purchase, but not 3-4mo. I took the battery back to Tejas in Highlands (I live in Friendswood) and they wrote up the battery, ordered a new one, and asked me to bring my 109 in to check out the charging system to make sure there issue is strictly a bad cell and there is nothing wrong else where. When I told them about what happened at Word, they were a little shocked that a dealer would push off something that should be covered under warranty. Needless to say Word will not get any business from me and I'm sending an email and phone call to Suzuki tomorrow. What good is the warranty if it's not honored at all shops.

·
Registered
317 Posts
there may be exceptions but i was under the impression that batteries are not a warranty item because its a maintenence issue. if you get it replaced the dealer is the one that eats it. the battery could go dead in a few weeks and if it was improperly serviced it would not accept a 100% charge making it the dealers fault. also checking the specific gravity of a cell on a maintence free battery to verify a dead cell is about impossible. i would bet on the dealer screwing up your battery, which could be why word suzuki wouldn't touch it.

G

·
If you get a new battery from the other dealer feel lucky, if you do not put a battery tender on it you are too fault. It is like 90 degrees there and if you parked it for 3 or 4 months with no battery tender shame on you.

TAZ

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
raw_taz said:
If you get a new battery from the other dealer feel lucky, if you do not put a battery tender on it you are too fault. It is like 90 degrees there and if you parked it for 3 or 4 months with no battery tender shame on you.

TAZ
It was parked in a garage for 2 weeks, I don't think anyone on this board could bare letting their bike sit for 3 or 4 months :p . The purchasing dealer has ordered a new battery and are covering it under warranty was they should. I wouldn't expect them to cover the battery a year out, but if you purchased a battery from retail and it failed in 3-4mo, you'd expect it to be warrantied. I actually don't have a problem upgrading the battery, but I've been the the Yuasa site, and they didn't have anything listed for the 109. The only thing I found on line was a OEM replacement from Suzuki for $155. I put that in the same category as buying an OEM tire for $400 from Suzuki... not going to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I to have had issues with the above mentioned when I had my 1st service. They of course asked me if I to purchased the 109 through them and a big applauding norolled off my tongue. I mean what the heck they can't remeber who the sold all their 109 to, like they have been out for a few years. I will not be returning either. I had problems with the service dept.

STAY AWAY FROM WORLD CYCLE AND MARINE in League City, TX.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm picking up a new battery from Tejas this afternoon. I will be dropping the bike off Friday morning at their request so they can check out the charging system to confirm the issue is nothing more than a bad battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts