M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought running up the miles on Mine 9 would be all that I would need. Thought the guys/gals who spent so time modding was crazy because they were spending valuable riding time in the garage when they could be riding. Thought I would NEVER consider some of the mods that other members were doing. The 9 is FINE straight from the showroom floor. No changes needed.

That 240 tire is beautiful AND fat and the 130 is nice. Why change it?
Those gray wheels are nice. Why not keep them like they are?
The handgrips are comfortable. Why change what works?
I like all this wind in my face at 70 mph; that's why I ride. Why deflect it?
You can't even see the footpegs when you're riding. Why upgrade?
The stock seat isn't bothering me. Why would I bother it?
I'm 6' and the riding height is perfect. Why would I want to be closer to the ground?
Nobody's looking at my bike at night. Why light it up?
I'm riding NOT talking. Why do I need a 12v outlet to charge my phone?
All I need is me and Mine 9. Why would I buy luggage when I can backpack?

I LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE!

Without further ado, winter mods will be:

KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS
GEL SEAT
YANA SHIKI 2" LOWERING BONES
LED's
12v OUTLET
CORTECH BAGS (on for trips)

Future mods:

BLACK POWDER COAT WHEELS w/RED STRIPE & 250/160 TIRE COMBO
(whenever rear stock tire wears out)
V STREAM TINTED WINDSHIELD
KURYAKYN FOOTPEGS

"HE WHO LIVES IN A GLASS HOUSE SHOULDN'T THROW STONES."

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
The 9 is a great looking bike from the factory but with a few mods it becomes a SHOW STOPPER!

Didn't see it on your list of mods, but you should de-beaver the rear fender to show off more of that meaty tire. In your profile pic, the beaver is still there; not sure if it still on or not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would say that engine wise, the 9 is very good off the show room floor, and outdoes many other stock bikes. I'm keeping my engine relatively stock so as not to void the extended warranty. However, the fatter 250 tire is better, as is the custom seat from BaldyLatino......

Speaking of seats, I've got a set of Textured (Carbon Fiber) Standard Gel seats that I picked up from Oneida Suzuki that I'd be willing to sell ya for your winter mod upgrade..... They are in great condition.....

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-plain-or-carbon-fiber-m109r.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really don't see how some ride without a windshield. It's been a couple weeks ago, but I damn near got a bird in the face. No helmet, it was the flow of air from the windshield that pushed that sucker up and I still had to duck. The wife was ticked because I ducked. But she did have a helmet. And the bugs, hey I have been to big mo, there are as many large bugs there as here. Some of those puppy's will knock you out of the saddle.
Gotta agree with having a windshield when on the highway. I've got lots of bug goo on my R2's Rifle shield, and in my humble opinion, I'd rather have it there than on me. Plus, its just soooo much more comfortable....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If i just got the bike to ride to work every day then it would be bone stock but untill i add a wing to the stable i can mod this one for cheap to take long trips on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If i just got the bike to ride to work every day then it would be bone stock but untill i add a wing to the stable i can mod this one for cheap to take long trips on.
oh man, a Wing...... :drool:

my wife loves to ride our 9, but she admits that a Wing is definitely in our future for longer rides.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve. I'll keep your seat in mind. Stock gel would be fine but I'm hoping to get a plain since I have the plain stock tank cover already.

Paladin, sorry to hear that you "ducked" and your wife got the "bird". Luckily you 2 are married, because a "girlfriend" would have left you for that.

I like the look of the short V, but likely going with the tall for a better highway ride. Planning many long trips.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I would say that engine wise, the 9 is very good off the show room floor, and outdoes many other stock bikes. I'm keeping my engine relatively stock so as not to void the extended warranty. However, the fatter 250 tire is better, as is the custom seat from BaldyLatino......

Speaking of seats, I've got a set of Textured (Carbon Fiber) Standard Gel seats that I picked up from Oneida Suzuki that I'd be willing to sell ya for your winter mod upgrade..... They are in great condition.....

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-plain-or-carbon-fiber-m109r.html
Here is some food for thought...

I have seen fully modded 109's go in for warranty work, and it go right through. I have seen bone stock 109's go in for work, and have it denied by Suzuki claiming the bike was abused.

I am fully modded (not engine) and blew out a fork seal. One dealer told me it was not covered and gave me a price. Called another dealer who said it was covered. Took it to them and it was fully covered for free.

90% of warranty claims going through are the dealer and how they interact with Suzuki. If they go to bat for you, it can get done, if they don't...it won't. Either way, if you keep the stock parts then you have NOTHING to worry about. If it is major, get rid of the fuel management and put the stock pipes and intakes on and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
oh man, a Wing...... :drool:

my wife loves to ride our 9, but she admits that a Wing is definitely in our future for longer rides.
I was searching craigslist yesterday to see what a nice goldwing was going for these days. Man, I'm gonna have to get another job!!

-Josh

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
NOTHING to worry about. If it is major, get rid of the fuel management and put the stock pipes and intakes on and be done with it.
Another reason to keep them stock pipes and such. I see so many peeps selling their stock stuff for pennies-on-the-dollar, a fraction of what it will cost to buy new ones if the need ever arises. Every one of the 18 different bikes I have owned since 76 have been modified. When I sold them, the stock parts went with the bike to the new owner.

In several instances the stock pipes came in handy. California cops were on a rampage in the 80s ticketing riders for modified exhausts.:cus: The fix was to put your stockers on (if you had them!), clear the ticket, ride home and re-install the headers.:bigthumbsup: I lost count of how many times I had to do this to the 79 CBX and the 83 CB1100F I owned at the time.???

So consequently, my 109s stock exhaust is hanging from the garage ceiling, and the stock air boxs are boxed up. I figure one day, the general public is going to get fed up listening to LOUD pipes, and really push for restrictions. Then it iwll be nice to have the stockers, rather than pay Suzuki $1500 for new ones.:eek:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I really don't see how some ride without a windshield. It's been a couple weeks ago, but I damn near got a bird in the face. No helmet, it was the flow of air from the windshield that pushed that sucker up and I still had to duck. The wife was ticked because I ducked. But she did have a helmet. And the bugs, hey I have been to big mo, there are as many large bugs there as here. Some of those puppy's will knock you out of the saddle.
Windshields do make for a more comfortable ride, but I just can't take the looks of them, so I do without.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Another reason to keep them stock pipes and such. I see so many peeps selling their stock stuff for pennies-on-the-dollar, a fraction of what it will cost to buy new ones if the need ever arises. Every one of the 18 different bikes I have owned since 76 have been modified. When I sold them, the stock parts went with the bike to the new owner.

In several instances the stock pipes came in handy. California cops were on a rampage in the 80s ticketing riders for modified exhausts.:cus: The fix was to put your stockers on (if you had them!), clear the ticket, ride home and re-install the headers.:bigthumbsup: I lost count of how many times I had to do this to the 79 CBX and the 83 CB1100F I owned at the time.???

So consequently, my 109s stock exhaust is hanging from the garage ceiling, and the stock air boxs are boxed up. I figure one day, the general public is going to get fed up listening to LOUD pipes, and really push for restrictions. Then it iwll be nice to have the stockers, rather than pay Suzuki $1500 for new ones.:eek:
I've still got all the stock parts for my bike as well. You had a '79 CBX? So did I, but I never put an aftermarket exhaust on it. I wish I had though, those 6 into 1 pipes sounded sweet as hell on the CBX. I did have a 4 into 1 Kerker on my '83 V-65 Magna and it sounded sweet too!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Windshields do make for a more comfortable ride, but I just can't the looks of them, so I do without.
:agree: Plus, I usually don't ride long distances. Mary and I do 3-400 miles every weekend when the weather is nice. But, most of it is 100 miles here or there on the highway. You can get used to 75mph for those distances and not having a screen. If I did a ton of highway and traveling i would definitely have one.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I've still got all the stock parts for my bike as well. You had a '79 CBX? So did I, but I never put an aftermarket exhaust on it. I wish I had though, those 6 into 1 pipes sounded sweet as hell on the CBX. I did have a 4 into 1 Kerker on my '83 V-65 Magna and it sounded sweet too!
Actually I had a 6-into-6 Denco set-up on my 79. I also had an 81 model with 6-into-6 Pipe Master exhaust . Always loved the look of six tailpipes from the rear, reminded me of the Honda six cylinder racebike of the 60's the Rc-166.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thought running up the miles on Mine 9 would be all that I would need. Thought the guys/gals who spent so time modding was crazy because they were spending valuable riding time in the garage when they could be riding. Thought I would NEVER consider some of the mods that other members were doing. The 9 is FINE straight from the showroom floor. No changes needed.

That 240 tire is beautiful AND fat and the 130 is nice. Why change it?
Those gray wheels are nice. Why not keep them like they are?
The handgrips are comfortable. Why change what works?
I like all this wind in my face at 70 mph; that's why I ride. Why deflect it?
You can't even see the footpegs when you're riding. Why upgrade?
The stock seat isn't bothering me. Why would I bother it?
I'm 6' and the riding height is perfect. Why would I want to be closer to the ground?
Nobody's looking at my bike at night. Why light it up?
I'm riding NOT talking. Why do I need a 12v outlet to charge my phone?
All I need is me and Mine 9. Why would I buy luggage when I can backpack?

I LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE!

Without further ado, winter mods will be:

KURYAKYN ISO GRIPS
GEL SEAT
YANA SHIKI 2" LOWERING BONES
LED's
12v OUTLET
CORTECH BAGS (on for trips)

Future mods:

BLACK POWDER COAT WHEELS w/RED STRIPE & 250/160 TIRE COMBO
(whenever rear stock tire wears out)
V STREAM TINTED WINDSHIELD
KURYAKYN FOOTPEGS

"HE WHO LIVES IN A GLASS HOUSE SHOULDN'T THROW STONES."
I thought the same way when I bought my 9. It was my first bike, and I was in love with it. First it was the pipes, and then chrome stockers.

And then I became a member of this DAMN site:cus:
Needless to say, many mods done since then, and MORE to come:bigthumbsup::drool:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
:agree: Plus, I usually don't ride long distances. Mary and I do 3-400 miles every weekend when the weather is nice. But, most of it is 100 miles here or there on the highway. You can get used to 75mph for those distances and not having a screen. If I did a ton of highway and traveling i would definitely have one.
Plus if your 9 is the model with the headlight fairing (the non-R2 model), I believe the fairing deflects SOME of the wind away from your body. I don't feel much wind at all on mine on the highway until I start getting up to speeds over about 70 or 75.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Plus if your 9 is the model with the headlight fairing (the non-R2 model), I believe the fairing deflects SOME of the wind away from your body. I don't feel much wind at all on mine on the highway until I start getting up to speeds over about 70 or 75.
Yea, not sure about the R2, but you are right. I don't feel enough wind at 70mph. However, if you are going to ride 500 miles, it would be nice to have it. We trailer to our destination and then ride and enjoy. For me, riding 500 miles on the highway is boring. I would rather spend my time exploring the areas then riding to get there.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Yea, not sure about the R2, but you are right. I don't feel enough wind at 70mph. However, if you are going to ride 500 miles, it would be nice to have it. We trailer to our destination and then ride and enjoy. For me, riding 500 miles on the highway is boring. I would rather spend my time exploring the areas then riding to get there.
I do the same. Not only is droaning along at a constant speed on the highway boring, if I'm gonna run into foul weather, I'd rather do it with the bike on the trailer and me inside an enclosed vehicle. Riding in rain is absolutely horrible, even if you're dressed for it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts