M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have an 06 with Holley mesh intake covers & ISO grips.

kinda hard to explain but ill try.

when twisting the throttle there is no working up to speed. while in 2nd gear, if i let off the throttle while turning a corner. after making my turn as i go to give it gas i barley turn the throttle 1/8" its like i really gave it a lot of gas.

kinda like 0 to full blast with a 1/8" turn

there is no gradual climb in speed.

is this normal.:confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The torque on these things at low revs is pretty brutal, so mid corner off's then on's with the gas seriously upsets them.
The way I get around this is either to come in slow and clutch it, until the corner straightens up (on v slow corners) or come in hotter with higher revs in a higher gear (4/5k) and keep the bike singing at that rev range for a smoother pull out (Oh er misses!) of faster corners.
There is a definite technique to it, and it takes a while to get used to it, but it can be done...

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read in my search for answers that adding a Cobra FI2000 or a power Commander along with a GIpro will fix or help.

is this true ?:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Those things will not help for how this bike "Lurches" What you are describing is the typical behaviour of a bike like this.... Instant torque, there is no gradual acceleration when you let off the throttle and begin accelerating. You are going to need to learn (And practise) more of a different technique on this bike.

As Boyobyron said, I also learned to use the clutch (In a safe manner!!) To slowly accelerate out of a turn or when in parking lots....

I have both the Fi2000R and JSD-3M on my bike and these things improved mostly the smoothness of the bikes operation... namely, low gear surging and overall smoothness of engine running at all rpms... The JSD makes the first 3 gears run smooth at low speeds (no surging) while the Fi2000R helps adjust fuel to air mixture when you change up your air and exhaust, when it is adjusted properly your bike will run silky smooth in all gears with no hiccups or anything. Its great.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a similar issue. When just on and off the gas while cruising at constant speed the throttle seems to operate like a toggle switch...either "all-on" or "all-off", and the bike lurches severely with VERY slight changes in throttle position (mostly in gears 1-3). It can be very difficult to drive 30mph in town sometimes because the bike is constantly lunging forward then aggressively slowing down with engine braking, it's like hanging onto a bucking bronco. I've installed the Gi-Pro and Fi2000 fuel manager with very little effect. This doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be frustrating.

Could adjusting play in the throttle cable help smooth out the transitions when just on and off throttle or is this just the characteristic of a shaft-driven big bore motorcycle?? ???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
It gets smoother as it gets older. Mine has over 18,000 miles on it and it's a lot smoother than when new. Maybe you just get used to it, I don't know.

GiPro, FI2000R, SET removed. All maybe helped some. I also have different grips and the throttle cam was large enough that I had to open up the control case a little to get them installed, so maybe that slows the response down a little. I also have almost no play in the throttle, so I know exactly where the "on" point is.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have to say ATRE, JSD, or GIPRO will help out a little with this. That herky jerky low speed crap was for the birds. I was kinda disappointed with the low speed antics of the bike to begin with. You will notice a difference as you will interpret it as being smoother and be able to deal with the bike a little better.

As you well know the power is explosive on this bike and your are partly dealing with the nature of the beast. :evil:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a similar issue. When just on and off the gas while cruising at constant speed the throttle seems to operate like a toggle switch...either "all-on" or "all-off", and the bike lurches severely with VERY slight changes in throttle position (mostly in gears 1-3). It can be very difficult to drive 30mph in town sometimes because the bike is constantly lunging forward then aggressively slowing down with engine braking, it's like hanging onto a bucking bronco. I've installed the Gi-Pro and Fi2000 fuel manager with very little effect. This doesn't happen all the time but often enough to be frustrating.

Could adjusting play in the throttle cable help smooth out the transitions when just on and off throttle or is this just the characteristic of a shaft-driven big bore motorcycle?? ???
I had the same thing with my bike lunging forward & slowing down.Yes it was totally frustrating.
I had my service manager ride my bike, as I could not take that jerking any more. He said that lurching was from running lean. They put a PC-V in it. It has gotten almost all the lurching out of the bike. I asked about the FI2000 but he told me that will not work as well as the PC-V. He told me that with the PC-V they could make a custom map for each gear to make it run the best in each gear. The 2000 only can be adjusted for low med & high rpm's. The problem with the PC-III or PC-V, is you have to have it put on the Dyno ($$$$). The dealer has been pretty fair with me. They just charged me the dealer price for the PC-V ( around $300), no charge for dyno, install & anything else.
Even with the PC-V the bike has a very small window when accelerating in first or second gear.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree with the others above. The ATRE is the answer for this, for me it was likeriding a different (better) bike.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well I think I found the cause of my jerky throttle control.....there was too much play in my throttle cable. Per the service manual I rotated the throttle cable adjust nut to reduce the amount of play and it helped immensely.

Problem is that I still need to tighten the throttle cable even more but the adjustment nut is all the way down, if I turn it any more it actually unscrews from the cable. Is is possible that the cable is stretched out or something and needs to be replaced?? If I could reduce the play in my throttle to just a couple of millimeters this bike would behave like a pussy cat in low gear.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
Well I think I found the cause of my jerky throttle control.....there was too much play in my throttle cable. Per the service manual I rotated the throttle cable adjust nut to reduce the amount of play and it helped immensely.

Problem is that I still need to tighten the throttle cable even more but the adjustment nut is all the way down, if I turn it any more it actually unscrews from the cable. Is is possible that the cable is stretched out or something and needs to be replaced?? If I could reduce the play in my throttle to just a couple of millimeters this bike would behave like a pussy cat in low gear.
Pull the left side air filter box off and adjust the lower end of the throttle cables. I had mine a bit too tight, couldn't adjust it in any further, and had to adjust mine there so I could get the adjuster at the grip back in the center.

I've found mine works better with almost 0 play in the cables, but I like to have just a little. :D

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Don't know if any of you guys notice. When your slowing down to a stop. It feels like the bike has a jake bake then it drops to a rpm where it feels like it goes into a free wheel. Its in that area that you don't want to work the motor. And that is where it feels like its a switch on and off.

You have to give some to the beast. It can't be all our style of riding.

Guy goes to the doc and tell him, when i bend my finger back like this it hurts...Doc says don't bend your finger back like that.:joke:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pull the left side air filter box off and adjust the lower end of the throttle cables. I had mine a bit too tight, couldn't adjust it in any further, and had to adjust mine there so I could get the adjuster at the grip back in the center.

I've found mine works better with almost 0 play in the cables, but I like to have just a little. :D
Does the tank have to be removed to do this? My adjuster is all the way out so it probably needs to be adjusted below.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i installed my GiPro yesterday & this is a whole different bike.

throttle response is 100% perfect.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
GI Pro made a world of difference for me at slow speeds .... you still have to understand you have a bike with 4" dia pistons and there are only two of them on a four stroke engine ..... it won't be smooth as silk like a 4 cylinder ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts