M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 1000 mi and still have a jerky throttle.
Out of the box it had lots of play in throttle. So much that riding on a cobblestone road was tough.
I adjusted the play out and it got better.
Here's the question:
Can the "shut down" fuel flow be slowed down so it doesn't abruptly shut off when throttle is cut back?
Thanks for help.
Bradbike

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
BradBike said:
Out of the box it had lots of play in throttle. So much that riding on a cobblestone road was tough.
Here's the question:
Can the "shut down" fuel flow be slowed down so it doesn't abruptly shut off when throttle is cut back?
Thanks for help.
Bradbike
That's something I have been dealing with too. I find if I grip the bar end cap that it helps with the jerking but it really has a pretty major engine break to it. ::)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
BradBike said:
Is this something that can be "Mapped" out?
I don't think so. I think it's is a combination of many things. BIG pistons, short stroke and shaft drive. I don't think a map is going to help any of that. I could be wrong, I don't know a whole lot about FI and maps, just what I read on the boards. ::)

·
Registered
817 Posts
BradBike said:
Here's the question:
Thanks for help.
Bradbike
Lamont is right. Really, this is the nature of a short-stroker with this much power and displacement. A lot of engine breaking going on.

Suzuki's other V-motors, like their 800 cc, are also short-stroke motors. Thing is, there's not nearly as much torque, so it's not so abrupt. But with 100+ ft-lbs, going on down there, you're gonna notice.

I too, adjusted the throttle play, and it helped a little bit. The main thing that is gonna help most is more practice and experience with it, and learning how to use the clutch in conjunction with throttle to smooth things out. We will all develop a good feel for it eventually. And, of course, don't drive around in first gear. :D Even for parking lot manuvers, this bike should be in second.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i was curious if i was the only one having issues with this. my apartment complex has a buttload of closely spaced speed bumps. some days i feel like going out there with some dynamite and a jackhammer, but i digress. i'm forced to stay in first gear through this mess. going over the bumps, you have to be careful hanging on to the throttle, as not to jerk it. high torque + 1st gear + speed bumps sux.

·
Registered
817 Posts
phaed said:
i was curious if i was the only one having issues with this. my apartment complex has a buttload of closely spaced speed bumps. some days i feel like going out there with some dynamite and a jackhammer, but i digress. i'm forced to stay in first gear through this mess. going over the bumps, you have to be careful hanging on to the throttle, as not to jerk it. high torque + 1st gear + speed bumps sux.
Just a thought -- you and others who live there and have bikes might consider going to the apartment management and asking them to make some narrow cuts in the middle of the speed bumps. Would still be effective for cars, but would be much safer for bikes that could pass through.

Most of the newer lots I see have these now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find that , starting in second is no problem and seems a lot more tame,and your going faster by your first gear change . I'm still playing with options. i haven't thought about the hand on the end trick, does seem like it would give you a little better resistance

G

·
I took out all of the free play, do the end cap thing and when it is really bad (throttle palsy) I use the clutch.

The VTX was like this also, I had to redo my road test for Michigan cycle endorsment and I did it on a my VTX, if you spend some time working cones you will ge the hang of it, more clutch work then throttle work. And you will get used to the torque.

When I bought my V-Strom I was amazed at how this was not a issue at all, but again, 67 hp and 38lb of Torque on that 650.

Work the cones in a parking lot and you will get hang of it.

RAW_TAZ

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am kinda enjoying the throttle control issues you cruiser riders are having with the snappy low end throttle grunt that us 1000cc sportbiker converts are somewhat used to. :D :eek:

You'll get used to it quicker than you think.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am kinda enjoying the throttle control issues you cruiser riders are having with the snappy low end throttle grunt that us 1000cc sportbiker converts are somewhat used to. :D :eek:

You'll get used to it quicker than you think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts