M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I replaced all my stock cables with SS cables. Since I also replaced my risers I went with 3"+ over cables.

Well everything has been working great until today. I left home this morning to go to work, and when I grabbed a handful of throttle to take off, nothing. I had to twist the throttle 3/4 of the way back before there was any response.

I was able to adjust the throttle cable up by the throttle housing, but I have it pretty much adjusted as far out as it will go. There's still a bit more slack in the throttle than I am happy with.

When I got home today, I yanked my air cleaner off, and took a look at the throttle cables attached to the pulley. They looked perfectly fine. There was slack there, but they were tight in the cable guide. Nothing looks out of the ordinary, cable routing seems to be just where I put it.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Screw back in the top all the way. Then on the bottom adjust it until you get the proper tension up top and then tighten down the lock nut. Not sure why it did that though.
Thanks, BigPapa, once I got on my PC and fired up the service manual, I followed the procedure for adjusting the throttle cable, as you described.

My concern was more with what could have caused it to happen. I had the bottoms tightened all the way down, and there initially was no slack. Now I have them backed out quite a bit to take up all that slack. I'm wondering if the cables shifting around by the trees might have created the slack?

Oh well, it seems this bike has lots of little mysteries to deal with. I'm just happy I didn't snap a cable. She's my primary mode of transportation for now.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've never had this on the 109... but i have had this kinda stuff happen to me before.
The most common thing that can cause this is one of yoru cables getting caught on the outside of the inlet fittings (giving it a false mounting point) then onceenough viberation, bumps, and shakes the cable pops into the proper place...
This is all i know of that could cause it...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, and one of the first things I looked at. At rest the cables seems to pop out of the fittings pretty easily. So I tightened everything up with the cables properly seated into the fittings. I do need to leave enough slack in the cable to turn the bars, and it seems that just that amount is enough for at least one cable to unseat.

Now, the amount of slack I needed to take up means both had to have jumped back in at the same time. Even then, I'm not sure that would have added that much slack.

My cables were tightened all the way down at the lower cable guides. Now they are backed at lease half way out.

I'm going to chalk it up to the cable hanging up on something during the initial install, then breaking free. Everything's properly adjusted at this point, so as long as I can keep riding, I'm a happy man.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Yeah, that was what I was thinking too, and one of the first things I looked at. At rest the cables seems to pop out of the fittings pretty easily. So I tightened everything up with the cables properly seated into the fittings. I do need to leave enough slack in the cable to turn the bars, and it seems that just that amount is enough for at least one cable to unseat.

Now, the amount of slack I needed to take up means both had to have jumped back in at the same time. Even then, I'm not sure that would have added that much slack.

My cables were tightened all the way down at the lower cable guides. Now they are backed at lease half way out.

I'm going to chalk it up to the cable hanging up on something during the initial install, then breaking free. Everything's properly adjusted at this point, so as long as I can keep riding, I'm a happy man.
Next time you take her out for a spin, if the throttle suddenly becomes tight or the idle jumps while your riding and won't back down, the opposite happened... the cable housing pulled out of the bracket in front of the pulley and won't pop back in. This type of problem usually occurs when the throttle cables are incorrectly routed around the steering head.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
Right after I installed my Barnett cables the rear cable slipped off the throttle cam, the one on the grip, and got between it and the housing. It got a lot of slack in it all at once too, plus the throttle didn't want to return. I'm not sure why it happened, but I put it back on and it's stayed on since. I have the Kuryakyn grips and the throttle cam is flat, I think the stock ones have a slight groove so the cable tracks it better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.