M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discovered this during my last trip.

When I had the bars turned to the right all the way. The thottle cable was binding on the risers enough to cause the thottle to stick. Since the wheel is usually only turned to it's maximum when you are moving the bike around at no or slow speed. Having the throttle stick either opened or closed could catch some off guard.

After inspection, the throttle cables have just enough slack to catch the risers and then bind as they are pulled tight from turning the bars. I plan to tie wrap them together so they don't bind.

I may report this to Suzuki as a possible safety hazard. If the throttle is stuck open in this position, it would be easy for it to get away from someone if they panic.

I will take some pics of it today and post them..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well mine not sticking, but when I turn it all the way to right I can feel the grip move( it will take up the play there is in the throttle).....at this time its not causing me a problem so I try and fix it when I get a chance (read when the garage isn't 400 degrees inside :p )

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've noticed the same problem, but not significant enough to address. I'm going to tie wrap them as you've suggested to see if this corrects the problem. A small fix if it works - that I guess could prevent even the possibility of a problem! Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I have noticed a lot of complaints on the way the cabels are tie wrapped to the handle bars. Mine are tie wrapped together but are not wrapped to the handle bars at all which gives the bars a much cleaner look and i don't have any issue at all about the throttle cable binding. Maybe this will help some of you guys out

·
Registered
317 Posts
are you cables running between the risers? they should not be. they should run on the outside of the right riser, behind the headlight where it is tied off with an o-ring and a zip tie to the support bracket, then dissappear under the tank. my cables don't even touch the riser when i turn right. it will use up some of the free play, but thats why its there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmmmm..... I just totaled my Silver M109R. I was taking off from a stop and turning right and the throttle stuck and caused the bike to go up on a curb bending both rims and two flat tires. The bike had $7,200 worth of damage. I had a few cuts and bruises but other than that im ok. I now have a new Black M109R sitting in the garage with only 2 miles on it. I think I will be calling SUZUKI in the morning.

·
Registered
127 Posts
SilverM109NMD said:
Hmmmmm..... I just totaled my Silver M109R. I was taking off from a stop and turning right and the throttle stuck and caused the bike to go up on a curb bending both rims and two flat tires. The bike had $7,200 worth of damage. I had a few cuts and bruises but other than that im ok. I now have a new Black M109R sitting in the garage with only 2 miles on it. I think I will be calling SUZUKI in the morning.
I have been having some trouble with right turns from a stop. I'll have to check and see if throttle binding is the problem or just inexperience.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that nails it as a definate safety issue...

Mine routes up between the risers and is NOT tie wrapped to the handlebars.

When I turn hard right, it catches on the edge of the riser. I already have a worn spot on the cable from it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well my cables are going from the throttle handle down behind the lighthousing, not tied wrapped to the handlebars and then an o-ring keeps them together and then they go through a bracket and cont. in under the tank.

Haven't had any binding what I can see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man if some setup guy actually ran the throttle cables between the risers then they ought to be wrote up or sent home for a few days without pay! I've been a motorcycle/Atv mechanic for 15 years and the last dealership I worked at we had some of the same kind of stuff happening. The dealer has setup manuals to show how everything goes but most of the time the setup guys would always come ask me how the bikes went together because they were to lazy to get the setup book out and go by it. Of course the dealer I worked for would hire teenagers staight outta school and wouldn't know what the hell was going on. For example when I took delivery of my silver 9 I went over all the important stuff before I would even leave the parking lot " brake calipers, axles, ect." then when I got home I be [email protected] if the front tire wasn't backwards. It wasn't that big of deal it was just that I had dealt with so many times before at my old workplace.

·
Registered
317 Posts
this is how my cables are set up and i have no problems with them. clutch cable and left switch box wires run to the left of the risers. brake line and right switch box wires run between the risers. throttle cables run to the right of the risers

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine were the same way. Right hand cables were tie-rapped to the inside of the right-hand risers,. Attached to the speedo and tach cable. Take it to your dealer ship, they will fix it in 5 minutes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts