Votes: 26 65.0%
  • They are out, I like to be heard

Votes: 14 35.0%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Baffles in or baffles out? I'm installing mine tonight, the baffles are already removed. I like a loud bike. Opinions.....

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
never had mine out? seems loud enough with them in place. I like having a little back pressure so I will keep mine in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Baffles in all of the way, they sound great!! Just watch out in the twisties, only had my bike for a month and scraped the pipes

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i say out. the louder the better!!
Hear hear!! I have Samsons on my Sabre, it's very loud. To where no one likes to ride behind me! I like it like that. So, baffles out for the Cobras. Not installing til Sunday now. But I will let you all how they sound.
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
918 Posts
sweeps

Mine r on the way and hope to have them installed by the weekend, :bigthumbsup: I plan on taking the baffles out before the install, I am running gutted stockers now and want it louder!!!!!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Mine r on the way and hope to have them installed by the weekend, :bigthumbsup: I plan on taking the baffles out before the install, I am running gutted stockers now and want it louder!!!!!! :dontknow:
JMO, I'd first install them with the baffles. Ride around for a bit and see (hear) what you think. They are pretty loud with them. Then if you still want louder, remove them.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JMO, I'd first install them with the baffles. Ride around for a bit and see (hear) what you think. They are pretty loud with them. Then if you still want louder, remove them.:bigthumbsup:
It's easier to put them back in then take them out. So if by some slim chance they are too loud, the only thing that has to happen is take off the gaurds and slide them back it. Otherwise, the rear section of pipe assem. has to come back off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's easier to put them back in then take them out. So if by some slim chance they are too loud, the only thing that has to happen is take off the gaurds and slide them back it. Otherwise, the rear section of pipe assem. has to come back off.
you can pull baffles and put them back in without doing any dissembly. slide hammer with a hook and they come right out.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
No disassembly required. Take mine in and out often. Use a long screwdriver to align them during install and a bent coat hanger and vice grips to take them out.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you can pull baffles and put them back in without doing any dissembly. slide hammer with a hook and they come right out.
No disassembly required. Take mine in and out often. Use a long screwdriver to align them during install and a bent coat hanger and vice grips to take them out.
Well, I had to beat the f**k out of them to remove them. Wasn't so simple w/ the pipe in my hand. I can only imagine how it would be on the bike. They were TIGHT!!

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
HONESTLY, when is loud TO LOUD:dontknow: Andre loves setting car alarms off:p With his debaffeled Big Shots:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I rode with a guy a couple of weeks ago who said he's heard them both with and without the baffles in (I have only heard them with baffles) and he said they sound better with the baffles in. He said they sound too tinny without baffles.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I rode with a guy a couple of weeks ago who said he's heard them both with and without the baffles in (I have only heard them with baffles) and he said they sound better with the baffles in. He said they sound too tinny without baffles.
That's usually the case with most pipes; not to mention the loss of power due to NO backpressure at all.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
That's usually the case with most pipes; not to mention the loss of power due to NO backpressure at all.
I've heard the backpressure thing before and I don't know what the real scoop is on that. I've also heard backpressure is undesirable on 4 stroke engines, and it's only adventagous on 2 stroke engines. I've heard 4 stroke engines operate most efficiently when the exhaust is as free flowing as possible. I guess this would have to be cleared up by someone who knows more than I.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I've heard the backpressure thing before and I don't know what the real scoop is on that. I've also heard backpressure is undesirable on 4 stroke engines, and it's only adventagous on 2 stroke engines. I've heard 4 stroke engines operate most efficiently when the exhaust is as free flowing as possible. I guess this would have to be cleared up by someone who knows more than I.
The only V-twin motors that I am aware of that run pretty well with straight pipes are engines like S&S. Back when Lucky and I were driving up to James McCoy's shop we had many discussions about pipes, baffles, etc. Like him or not, James knows more about the 109, and motorcycles in general, than 99.9% of us. He said that the 109 NEEDED some degree of backpressure to run optimally....I definitely believe him. Go yank the baffles out of your pipe and take off hard, bet you don't have the low-end torque you used to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Grampi is correct regarding the "tinny" sound. I pulled my baffles out of my swepts and it was VERY tinny. My buddies said it sounded like crap at WOT. I ended up cutting by baffles down, rewelding, and reinstalling. Much deeper and better sounding. I didn't notice a horsepower loss either way though - with over 100hp I think you would have to dyno to see the diff. The only tough part was that I had 7k on these pipes when I did the work, so pulling out and reinstall was a B!TCH. So much build up in the pipes. Ended up grinding them down to reinstall. I forget the name of the company - it's "thunder" something. They make a better baffle for these pipes that they claim sound deeper and provide more hp. I would pull the baffles and, when you realize that they are "tinny" sounding, order the aftermarket baffles and reinstall. You can ask all the questions you want and get tons of responses, but you will still do it to "see for yourself" - if your anything like me.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Grampi is correct regarding the "tinny" sound. I pulled my baffles out of my swepts and it was VERY tinny. My buddies said it sounded like crap at WOT. I ended up cutting by baffles down, rewelding, and reinstalling. Much deeper and better sounding. I didn't notice a horsepower loss either way though - with over 100hp I think you would have to dyno to see the diff. The only tough part was that I had 7k on these pipes when I did the work, so pulling out and reinstall was a B!TCH. So much build up in the pipes. Ended up grinding them down to reinstall. I forget the name of the company - it's "thunder" something. They make a better baffle for these pipes that they claim sound deeper and provide more hp. I would pull the baffles and, when you realize that they are "tinny" sounding, order the aftermarket baffles and reinstall. You can ask all the questions you want and get tons of responses, but you will still do it to "see for yourself" - if your anything like me.
Googled and found it
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/

Here's a 109 w/ swepts and monster baffles, might be the way to go

·
Registered
263 Posts
hey big b I have the cobra dragsters without baffle's, I personally love it, it just sounds raw and nasty. It does on the other hand piss every single neighbor on my street off especially when i leave for work at 5:30 am. Im preety sure all cobra's have that same raspy sound to them Id imagine the two pipes would be to far off sound wise.

No Baffles :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts