M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last oil change I switched off the Suzuki 10/40 to Castrols new synthetic blend 10/40 and I ran it 700 miles farther than my normal 2000 miles oil and filter change because someone told me that the Castrol would start cleaning my motor immediately. I thought that the Castrol was an excellant oil but changing oil as often as I do with filter everytime, I didn't see how my engine could have gotten that dirty. The Suzuki oil came out a little darker than it went in. So I was just amazed when I pull the plugs on the oil to drain it. It had gone in quite clear, about the color of a fine Canadian whiskey and it came out blacker than the ace of spades. I'm definitely impressed that it had found that much dirt in my engine. I was told I would start noticing a change in color after the next oil change, that it would start clearing up as the engine got cleaner. I am a firm believer in the new Castrol synthetic blend. I had 12,600 miles on the 9 on Suzuki oil and now at 15300 she has another fresh load of Castrol for the winter storage and will be ready to run in the spring up here in Michigan. :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
what even works for you
maybe I am wrong I but very dark oil normally indicates that the oil is breaking down... but it can be case from like you said the previous oil used maybe no good or the engine is duty from not being service property and can also case from an internal engine problem

P.S. please don't take offence to my statement

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried the Castrol 10/40 full synthetic too. It seems to shift easier. The color of your oil means very little.... it doesn't take much to change it.

I'm tempted to try the 5W Rotella that has been getting some attention...

G

·
I bought that oil but decided to stick with Mobil 1 at this time. In tests that I have read, it tested better the the Castrols and they are the same price. I even posted a thread asking for feedback on this oil about a month ago.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136414&highlight=castrol+oil
IMO, anything but this Rotella 10/40 syn, I would go 20/50. I had a test on Rotella that said it had the same film thickness as 50. Totally changed how my bike runs and shifts compared to the 10/40 I was using. I think Shell makes a 15/40 conventional but that's it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Modern oils are great

what even works for you
maybe I am wrong I but very dark oil normally indicates that the oil is breaking down... but it can be case from like you said the previous oil used maybe no good or the engine is duty from not being service property and can also case from an internal engine problem

P.S. please don't take offence to my statement
I think that the color of an oil that is breaking down in your engine from heat is usually a burnt brown color not black. Oil that is cleaning usually comes out more a black color than brown. I don't think the Suzuki oil was cleaning as well or has left some paraphin in the motor that the castrol has flushed out. There are a number of quality oils out there and most of them will do more than a sufficient job of taking care of your engine. I have used Castrol in my car and 4X4 and never has any problems. Castrol has alway been in or near the top of the quality oil charts for many years. So I will see in the spring after a couple more changes whether the oil changes to a clearer color after my 2000 miles goes by. I never worry about what I pay for quality only what the product does for the money.
Sure the Suzuki oil was cheaper but it seems right now that the quality wasn't there. I did notice that my 9 shifts smoother but that 2nd gear is still a pain in the rear. They couldn't have tested this tranny very much when they brought it too the market. If I was a test driver I would never have approve this transmission as ok for sale.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought that oil but decided to stick with Mobil 1 at this time. In tests that I have read, it tested better the the Castrols and they are the same price. I even posted a thread asking for feedback on this oil about a month ago.

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136414&highlight=castrol+oil
I watch all the car shows on the weekends. A couple of years ago horsepower TV did a special on oils. The first show they took a stock Mustang GT from the showroom, they put it on the dyno. It made like 280 hp at the wheels. They drained the motor, transmission, and rear diff and put royal purple in it. Ran it on the dyno and it gained 15 hp just from the oil. The next show the took two Northstar motors (cadillac V-8) and put them on the engine dyno. They filled one with royal purple and left the factory oil in the other. Cranked both, went to full throttle on both, with no load. 7 hours later the one with the conventional oil let loose. They took it apart and found the problem, twisted crank and 3 spun bearnings. Once they replaced the parts and started that engine back up, they turned off the motor with royal purple (that was running full throttle the entire time) and broke it down. They measured the main bearings, the cam bearings and the rod bearings, there was no wear. I got in the truck and bebopped down to the auto store. Royan purple wasn't available on the open market yet, so I settled for mobile 1, great oil. I changed the motor, trans, and rear end. Gained 3 mph (in a Nissan pickup). Once royal purple was on the shelf I switched to it, it didnt really gain any mph, but the motor ran cooler. Since that day every motor I own has royal purple in it.....even my weed eater. The only oil I would recommend over royal purple is AMSOIL, but you need to find a dealer (not that hard these days). They have one cool option. When you change your filter, you can send it to them and they will analyze the oil and tell you what parts are wearing out in your motor.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Synthetics?
I have been running Motul brand synthetics...10W50. Really like the brand...was recommended by the mechanic I use.
I have never heard of Roayal Purple...I'm in Canada...can you tell me more?

Dave

G

·
I watch all the car shows on the weekends. A couple of years ago horsepower TV did a special on oils. The first show they took a stock Mustang GT from the showroom, they put it on the dyno. It made like 280 hp at the wheels. They drained the motor, transmission, and rear diff and put royal purple in it. Ran it on the dyno and it gained 15 hp just from the oil. The next show the took two Northstar motors (cadillac V-8) and put them on the engine dyno. They filled one with royal purple and left the factory oil in the other. Cranked both, went to full throttle on both, with no load. 7 hours later the one with the conventional oil let loose. They took it apart and found the problem, twisted crank and 3 spun bearnings. Once they replaced the parts and started that engine back up, they turned off the motor with royal purple (that was running full throttle the entire time) and broke it down. They measured the main bearings, the cam bearings and the rod bearings, there was no wear. I got in the truck and bebopped down to the auto store. Royan purple wasn't available on the open market yet, so I settled for mobile 1, great oil. I changed the motor, trans, and rear end. Gained 3 mph (in a Nissan pickup). Once royal purple was on the shelf I switched to it, it didnt really gain any mph, but the motor ran cooler. Since that day every motor I own has royal purple in it.....even my weed eater. The only oil I would recommend over royal purple is AMSOIL, but you need to find a dealer (not that hard these days). They have one cool option. When you change your filter, you can send it to them and they will analyze the oil and tell you what parts are wearing out in your motor.
At $13 a quart + shipping, I think some of us mere mortals can settle for a oil more commensurate with 3000-4000 mile oil changes. No way in Hades I am going to do the oil change interval in the manual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have 7000 kilometer's on my 9. I have been running regular dino oil to this date. I am wanting to switch to a full synthetic ams-oil. Any thoughts? Possible reasons not to switch?:dontknow: Thanks

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have 7000 kilometer's on my 9. I have been running regular dino oil to this date. I am wanting to switch to a full synthetic ams-oil. Any thoughts? Possible reasons not to switch?:dontknow: Thanks
Im running ams oil now no complaints, i also run royal purple in my hummer its great also, if i were to try something else in my 9 it would be royal purple, but im not thinkin of changing.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Well I switch from the factory oil to this Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic... and the beast shift gears so much better instantly, I won't be going back... :a18: It use to shift hard!!! now slides in so much better I am sold on it... :doorag: .... This is just my personial experance.....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well I switch from the factory oil to this Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic... and the beast shift gears so much better instantly, I won't be going back... :a18: It use to shift hard!!! now slides in so much better I am sold on it... :doorag: .... This is just my personial experance.....
:agree:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have used Amsoil and love it
I will now I will try the rotella its a bit cheaper and easer to get

If it shifts as smooth as the amsoil then i'll be sold on it

Granted the shifting is better
not at all fixed
I think shift forks and back cutting the gears will fix that issue
The oil just makes it feel better

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Just so you know, the engine with Amsoil in it runs 10 degrees hotter then Mobil one in it.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
the oil temp ? I have heard the oil runs hotter , because it dispurses heat better... I have no idea.. But I do know my bike runs cooler than with the original oil... And has never gets hot... And shifts excellant compaired to with factory oil...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts