M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,yesterday the wife talks me into go to a raffle/ride in at a local pub.The raffle was for a
1200 sportster 06.Along with the bike they were giving away stuff for best looking bike,biker etc,,,,,,
So it was cool all day we ate,seen some old acquaintances and some of the wife's family.I spent most of
my day talking to the crowed that had swarmed around the 9.Mind you these are 90% Harley riders a few vtx,couple BMW's,Vulcan's and one beautiful custom chopper guy.They all were drooling over the 9,a few asked to take her for a spin but my old lady wouldn't here of that.
The short version is that one of the screaming eagle's won best bike.I was pissed.There were 4 others
just like the one that won in the bunch.So i knew the owner of the bar and asked him what was up
with that.After blowing into my tail pipes all day you choose a Harley.He looks at me and says "we had to pick a Harley". Now how lame is that.I could see if the ride in was at a Harley dealer or sponsored by a Harley club
but it was neither.
Anyway i feel like i wasted my Saturday but i plan on making up for it today.I'm gonna go ride the White Mountains,rte 302 in New Hampshire today.

Mike

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Re: This mentalitly sucks!!

I live in the mountains of NE Pa. and I do a lot of solo riding! Lately I've been enjoying the evenings on the inter-state. The traffic is light and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous and with two lanes of highway wide open, I can throttle the 109 up a notch or two and just cruise. I can't tell you how many times I've had Harley's run up on me and try to pass and I just twist the "juice lever" and leave them wondering what the hell it was they were trying to pass:):):)....after that they stay back and usually take the first exit they can find. I've had several follow me when I exited and they give a thumb's up, some wave with one finger ( I think they pick their nose with that finger ) and some want to know what the bike is. I guess the Harley mentality is mixed about our 109's. As you described in you post the true die hard HD folks frown on every other make of bike and closely guard the persona that they have the best machines by playing a little favoritism whenever possible. I guess that's what they call the Harley mystique. What really counts is that you're riding a "out of the crate machine" which turn "Screaming Eagles" into "Humble Turkeys"......call it poetic justice :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even if Hardley a motorcycle would or could build a good bike, I don't think I could bring myself to buying one because of the attitude most Hardley riders have. they will not wave to you, thinking they are better because they are riding American bikes! Whenever I pass a Hardley rider that will not wave, i hope they are looking in their mirror because I am flipping them the bird! I had a friend tell me I am crazy for doing it, and my response was " what are they going to do, catch me?" You are right, the Hardley mentality sucks, but it should comfort you in knowing we ride better motocycles!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I wave to everyone..scooters to Harleys..if they don't wave back, it's their problem. Like to think that a little further down the road they will be thinking that they wished they had. I don't care what they ride... (one way or another we all are on different rides through life). Generally I get plenty of brotherhood waves..some maybe are a bit taken-a-back and don't get time to react. Maybe next time we pass they will wave? If their weren't Harleys to pick on HELL we could be razzing the Blurple 109's ;)
Spread love.... friends are better than enemies! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Hey Mike, just curious, but what have you done to your bike? Is it pretty much stock or have you done a good number of mods to it? What all had been done to the SE Harley that won? If the guy that owned the Harley had put a lot of money into upgrading the bike, and yours is pretty much stock, then I can understand choosing the Harley. I can't see picking a stock bike as best bike because there is nothing unique about it. Either way, the "we had to choose a Harley" response is pretty lame.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i dont want this to be a harley bashing session,please.If i had won the sportster the wife would be riding it today.My absolute point that i was trying to make is that even though they all new they were standing next to the badest cruiser on the road today.They couldnt bring themselves to admitt it and say the 9 won best bike.

Mike

·
Registered
702 Posts
rasputin said:
I wave to everyone..scooters to Harleys..if they don't wave back, it's their problem. ...
I wave to everyone too, unles I'm in a turn or doing over 80.

Put another 100 miles on yesterday, and was waving and waved to so many times I could barely keep a hand on the grip.

Yes, everyone walks up and asks about the bike, stands around to see whose it is, and wants to run with you on the interstate (if you allow 8) )

All in all, sorry for the HD win, but take your "people's choice" win and be proud of it. Don't sweat the bike show politics.

G

·
rasputin said:
I wave to everyone..scooters to Harleys..if they don't wave back, it's their problem. Like to think that a little further down the road they will be thinking that they wished they had. I don't care what they ride... (one way or another we all are on different rides through life). Generally I get plenty of brotherhood waves..some maybe are a bit taken-a-back and don't get time to react. Maybe next time we pass they will wave? If their weren't Harleys to pick on HELL we could be razzing the Blurple 109's ;)
You just jealous of us smokin hot Blurple guys!! :joke: :joke: :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I wave alot, I get alot of waves. I dont care if they dont. Perhaps they are not comfortable taking their hands off the bars...

Sledzep

·
Registered
629 Posts
::) Howdy folks,
This is my first post here. I was born and raised in the states but am
now living in Germany since 1995. I made my bike lisence when i was in the states
so I had a good comparison. In the states: If you ride a harley you greet Harley riders
If you ride any other street bike you greet street bike riders
you ride a crochrocket you greet crochrocket riders and so on
In germany: If you ride you greet other riders.
Here in Germany all bikers feel a certian bond it doesent matter what you ride main thing is that you love and understand riding and why it is so special.
Do whant too say however that their are always the black sheep that don`t greet at all. stuck up or afraid
your gues is as good as mine.

By the way, I love the site. super feeling here to look around and get the feeling of being welcome without even posted yet. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
GTOMAN said:
Even if Hardley a motorcycle would or could build a good bike, I don't think I could bring myself to buying one because of the attitude most Hardley riders have. they will not wave to you, thinking they are better because they are riding American bikes! Whenever I pass a Hardley rider that will not wave, i hope they are looking in their mirror because I am flipping them the bird! I had a friend tell me I am crazy for doing it, and my response was " what are they going to do, catch me?" You are right, the Hardley mentality sucks, but it should comfort you in knowing we ride better motocycles!
+1

khrome

·
Registered
593 Posts
Heck I think the HD crowd are some of the friendliest folk I have run into, with a few exceptions. I try to acknowledge a fellow rider whenever possible. Just ride 8)-Z

·
Registered
411 Posts
Animal said:
::) Howdy folks,
This is my first post here. I was born and raised in the states but am
now living in Germany since 1995. I made my bike lisence when i was in the states
so I had a good comparison. In the states: If you ride a harley you greet Harley riders
                                   If you ride any other street bike you greet street bike riders
                                   you ride a crochrocket you greet crochrocket riders and so on
                        In germany:  If you ride you greet other riders.
Here in Germany all bikers feel a certian bond it doesent matter what you ride main thing is that you love and understand riding and why it is so special.
     Do whant too say however that their are always the black sheep that don`t greet at all. stuck up or afraid
your gues is as good as mine.

By the way, I love the site. super feeling here to look around and get the feeling of being welcome without even posted yet. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :D
Hello Animal,
I am an American also but have been living over here since 1981. You know the saying,"different strokes for different folks"? Don´t kid yourself there are bikers over here that don´t wave either, although they are in the minority The M109 board has alot of cool people here and great information as its hard to get info about the M1800 (M109) at this point here. Check out my homepage and if you are around Nürnberg sometime give me a shout or if you see and old fart racing down the autobahn on a silver blitz that is probably me

·
Registered
317 Posts
our local bike show at hooters makes everyone happy. there is a metric class, harley class, sport bike class, chopper class, and best of show. i won the metric with the silver 109, a vrod won the harley, a home made chopper its class, a friend of mine won sport bike and the odd ball usually wins best of show, this time another friend of mine with a 110cc captain america lookalike. everybody gets to vote whether your in the show or not. everybody is happy and everybody has fun. why can't it be like that everywhere?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts