M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take it to the shop but i want to sound like i know what im talking about.The bolts is tight and the gaskets are new.All i can think is something is :edit: with the valves.Bike is a 2008 with 2560 miles on it.The clutches broke and i had to clean the engine cause it had broke clutch pieces in it.then clutches was replaced i hope Hink is Wrong that a broke piece of that clutch got into the valve.Tell me what you guys think.Is it easy for me to check the valves or should i take it to dealer and get my pockets broke.

·
Registered
73 Posts
you could try and take it to the dealer and see if a tech can listen to the bike and give you an idea. they should be able to do that for free and then decide if they are concerned or not, and what you might want to do after that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
your engine is not missing,,,sounds like a loose or broken timing chain tension guide,,, think the chains are right behind the clutch assembly,,, so it would make it possible for the clutch pieces to go up the timing chains,,,but i've been wrong before,,,hope it helps,,,,

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
here is my opinion I`d stop running it and tapeing it and get it somewhere or tear into it yourself before you mess something up youv`e been running it like this for what 3 weeks now if it is something bad your not helping it out any get it looked at and stop running it till you know!! thats MHO!!!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,140 Posts
I wish you would have pulled in the clutch to see how much difference it made. In your other thread you said it made some difference. It sounds bad, but I still think it may be something in the clutch basket.

I'd get either a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver and see if you can narrow down where it's coming from. Put the point of the screwdriver against various places and hold your ear against the handle. Some place it has to get louder.

I'd say its not an exhaust leak because it doesn't get louder when you rev it or let off of it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The noise follows the engine RPM, especially the exhaust note. It doesn't appear to be clutch, because the noise was more muted near the clutch cover (who knows maybe the mic was covered?) The only timing chain parts on the left side are for the rear cylinder. This noise follows both exhaust valves which lead me to think there is an exhaust leak. Though it is possible to get the clutch material into the head, the path is not straight (clutch is attached to the balance shaft not the crank) and very narrow. The exhaust is aftermarket (not saying that's bad, I like it) just that it might just be slightly misshaped at the sealing area allowing the bolts to tighten and yet leave a small space.
This is JMHO from listening to a video.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The noise follows the engine RPM, especially the exhaust note. It doesn't appear to be clutch, because the noise was more muted near the clutch cover (who knows maybe the mic was covered?) The only timing chain parts on the left side are for the rear cylinder. This noise follows both exhaust valves which lead me to think there is an exhaust leak. Though it is possible to get the clutch material into the head, the path is not straight (clutch is attached to the balance shaft not the crank) and very narrow. The exhaust is aftermarket (not saying that's bad, I like it) just that it might just be slightly misshaped at the sealing area allowing the bolts to tighten and yet leave a small space.
This is JMHO from listening to a video.
Noise is on the right. If I'm not mistaken, he has used hi-temp rtv as well. I firmly believe this is NOT an exhaust leak. This is internal.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
So did they passed the smoke test that I suggested in your first post? Are there any lose shields on the pipes? What about the baffles in the pipes? And I would also try the long screw driver check alto to really try and track it down. Noises can be tough to trace. They sound like they are coming from one place but really are coming from another. Keep us updated.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,140 Posts
It just doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. I've had mine stuck on loosely when test fitting different mufflers and it was definitely leaking and didn't sound like that. An exhaust leak doesn't make a tapping noise like that.

That's a solid metal to metal tap, either timing chain, rod, wrist pin, valve, or something in the clutch.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It just doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. I've had mine stuck on loosely when test fitting different mufflers and it was definitely leaking and didn't sound like that. An exhaust leak doesn't make a tapping noise like that.

That's a solid metal to metal tap, either timing chain, rod, wrist pin, valve, or something in the clutch.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
could it be the exhaust itself? not necessarily an exhaust leak where the pipes mount to the bike but somewhere else on the exhaust itself? :dontknow:

it is definitely on the right side though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts