M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Members Identity is hidden to protect the innocent…lol:
FYI. The chrome really isn't chrome. It is a chrome paint. I made the mistake of using chrome polish on it before I installed it. The polish removed a bit of the luster. The fit of the product was not good either. I'm real picky about fit and finish. I have seen several installed on 9's and the fit was not good. Mine however looks good on the bike but I had to make a piece of metal to help keep the proper contour where the chin spoiler meets the radiator surround. I epoxyed it on the back side of the chin spoiler. Perhaps you guys are not as fussy as me. I feel these are way too much money for what you get in a chrome one. It does look bad a$$ though. If I had to do it again I would get the painted one and buy the paint and spray it out. I have about 5000 miles on mine and the chrome paint takes a beating. I would suggest before installing a chrome one to clear coat it with a good urethane paint. That will look better than the vinyl covering and will be seamless. Just wipe it down with denatured alcohol and spray on the clear. The solvents in the paint should bite on to the chrome paint. I would do a test spray on the bottom of the spoiler and check for any reactions. A couple light coats at first and let flash. Then a couple more and let flash, and then spray a wet coat. Any scratches or chips will most likely be in the clear coat. A good clear will be alot tougher than the chrome finish that comes on the spoiler. IMHO

Dmccoy-to all that order and the hard worhk that Firefighter put forth, I hope this statement is not true. Can any one verfy this?? If so what a funking husle I could have had Jerry chroem it. :dontknow:
P.S.
Someone forward this to Low and Mean for some answers.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I sent a email to Chris, the CEO and asked about it for you....

Chris, We never used Spray paint for chrome, we have used Vacuum metalizing. We have been working on new processes but have always cam back to vacuum metalizing refined process.

:bigthumbsup:
Yes, he monitors the emails even from home. I have sent him emails on a Sunday and got a reply within minutes.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I sent a email to Chris, the CEO and asked about it for you....

Chris, We never used Spray paint for chrome, we have used Vacuum metalizing. We have been working on new processes but have always cam back to vacuum metalizing refined process.

:bigthumbsup:

Yes, he monitors the emails even from home. I have sent him emails on a Sunday and got a reply within minutes.
MIght be the reason the "chrome" units are taking so long? I ordered mine two weeks before you ordered for the group, and its still silence. Hope its worth the wait.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
Not Chrome at all

Vacuum metalizing is a way to make plastic shiny, but it's not chrome in any way shape or form. Plastic can be chromed, but the process may be more expensive than what some companies are willing to invest in the parts.

Here are a few things about metallized parts that you should know.

"Vacuum metalizing DOES NOT have the same durability or corrosive resistance that chrome plating does.

During the vacuum metalizing process aluminum is evaporated in a vacuum chamber, which than condenses back on and bonds to the parts to form a uniform layer, which shines like chrome.

After the metalizing takes place there is a protective topcoat applied similar to the ones used in the automotive industry. You can also add dyes to the topcoat to achieve bright chrome colors gold's, bronze's, copper's, and gunmetal's.

Chrome vacuum metalizing should not be cleaned with abrasive materials; you should only clean it with a damp soft rag. The chemicals in household cleaners can affect the clear coat causing it to become hazy or milky."

So, easy on the chrome cleaner or you might just strip it right off there.

Maybe "chromed" is not a proper term to use for the process. Maybe "shiny" would be better.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
basically its the same way as the air covers, plastic vacuum sealed chrome .

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
No, not like that at all

basically its the same way as the air covers, plastic vacuum sealed chrome .
Vacuum metalizing has no chrome in it. It's not vacuum sealed, that's just the name of the process. It's basically deposited aluminum that has a protective clear over it.

Chrome is actual chrome plating that has been deposited over a nickel base. The plastic part is first painted with a conductive paint (gotta have that for the electricity to flow), then nickel plated (that's what gives it the shine), and then chromed plated over that (what gives it that distinct blue color and hardness).

I doubt that the air covers are anything but real chrome. However, since they were not on my bike when I got it I couldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
The stock air covers appear to be real chrome. I have used polish on mine without harming them. Yeah there in a box now, replaced with Big Airs. A friend who just took his off after four years polished his numerous times with no damage to the finish.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Chrome on plastic

I can tell you from cutting my air filter pods that the chrome is bonded to the plastic so well, I could jig saw it and use a fine round file on the cut edges without it chipping. It's better than chrome metal if you drill, cut or file it, the edge won't rust or corrode at all. I don't know anything about the chin spoilers, just commenting on the Suzuki chromed plastic items.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I agree

Yes i agree, I wa shoping for the same process on the chin spoiler.. If not I would have paid to have it done right..

I can tell you from cutting my air filter pods that the chrome is bonded to the plastic so well, I could jig saw it and use a fine round file on the cut edges without it chipping. It's better than chrome metal if you drill, cut or file it, the edge won't rust or corrode at all. I don't know anything about the chin spoilers, just commenting on the Suzuki chromed plastic items.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Members Identity is hidden to protect the innocent…lol:
FYI. The chrome really isn't chrome. It is a chrome paint. I made the mistake of using chrome polish on it before I installed it. The polish removed a bit of the luster. The fit of the product was not good either. I'm real picky about fit and finish. I have seen several installed on 9's and the fit was not good. Mine however looks good on the bike but I had to make a piece of metal to help keep the proper contour where the chin spoiler meets the radiator surround. I epoxyed it on the back side of the chin spoiler. Perhaps you guys are not as fussy as me. I feel these are way too much money for what you get in a chrome one. It does look bad a$$ though. If I had to do it again I would get the painted one and buy the paint and spray it out. I have about 5000 miles on mine and the chrome paint takes a beating. I would suggest before installing a chrome one to clear coat it with a good urethane paint. That will look better than the vinyl covering and will be seamless. Just wipe it down with denatured alcohol and spray on the clear. The solvents in the paint should bite on to the chrome paint. I would do a test spray on the bottom of the spoiler and check for any reactions. A couple light coats at first and let flash. Then a couple more and let flash, and then spray a wet coat. Any scratches or chips will most likely be in the clear coat. A good clear will be alot tougher than the chrome finish that comes on the spoiler. IMHO

Dmccoy-to all that order and the hard worhk that Firefighter put forth, I hope this statement is not true. Can any one verfy this?? If so what a funking husle I could have had Jerry chroem it. :dontknow:
P.S.
Someone forward this to Low and Mean for some answers.
No protection needed here. I wrote that statement above. It is not chrome. It is a sprayed on process and NOT very durable. The fit was also an issue. I dealt with it in a way that worked for me. Let's face it, when you do mods you have to adapt things to works. How many stories have we heard of that were inferior in quality. Seems as though most vendors out there make their products and warranty them for a year. Aftermarket chrome products are cheaply done. My bike has lots of chrome mods and all the aftermarket chrome is crap. The only chrome that still looks great is the chrome that came on the bike from Suzuki. If you guys out there participating in the group buy for chin spoilers are expecting "real chrome" on the spoiler, "forget it". I was in Vegas for the meet so you guys have seen my bike.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Does not sound good. and yes I did not like the Zip tie holding the bottom. I was going to make a polished plate to put a bolt in that area. Since my peg support is chrome. Hope after the wait it comes out OK.
Dam Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts