M109 Riders banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time since I have been here and there is a reason for that, I have a 2007 M with approx. 18,000 miles on it and it has the dreaded piston slap issue.. It did run the last time I started it but it has been setting in my garage for many years and I am not sure if it is worth selling or not, so I am asking you guys what you think? I don't think that there is anything else wrong with it(as if piston slap is not enough). The exhaust has been changed and a couple of other small mods but nothing major, never been dropped or anything like that.

What do you think, try to sell it for parts or find someone that would want to rebuild it and is it worth anything?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Radio Active Member
22,535 Posts
I've never heard of piston slap being a problem on these, are you sure that's what it is? Can you describe what it sounds like and when it occurs?

Our pistons have such short skirts that piston slap shouldn't happen easily, unless there is really a lot of wear in the engine.

As far as selling the parts or the entire bike, I would sell the entire bike. Parts take a long time to get rid of and you usually end up with half a bike left. But that's just me. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
I also wonder what you mean about piston slap. Perhaps recording the sound and posting it would get some possibilities for the problem. I would sell the bike rather than parting it out. Too much work for what you might gain.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting rid of my M109

Let me first say, those are some beautiful bikes. Makes me miss riding mine.

But I had the same response that you had when the mechanic told me it was piston slap, which at the time, I had never heard of, so I asked him politely or maybe it went like 'What the F*** are you talking about!?'. He had just listened to it for short time before he made that statement. Once I understood what it was, I informed him that it couldn't be that as I had broken in the motor in by the book and he told me that that didn't matter and that the manufacture probably used a smaller sized piston and rings or a larger bore to insure that there would be no serious issues during the warranty time(His words, not mine). This bike has 18k miles and the engine was very noisy and l had gone to him for some advice as to why the engine was eating oil, so take it for what it is. I do not know what piston slap sounds like and the bike has not been started in years, so starting at this time without totally changing all the fluids and checking the compression would not be advised. As far as I know it may be something totally different that is causing the oil to disappear.

But life goes on, knees need replacing and I have a bike setting in my garage that is not being used... so, is it okay for someone to ask the riders on this forum if they are interested in it? I really would like it to go to some one who would put it to good use.

If it is against the rules, I understand.

Thank you for your reply,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just trying to wrap my head around this. I am not mechanically familiar with these engines, except for what I've read on this forum. Most of my experience is lawn mowers and v-8s. I'm sure some here with more experience will chime in.

But if the bike is/was using oil, where was it going? If it passed the pistons/rings it would burn and you'd see smoke. If the pistons/rings are so sloppy there would be blow-by which would end up blowing oil into the intake (I believe) and again, blue smoke. Either that or its leaking, and you'd see that.

I would tend to believe such a noise would be more likely from bad rod bearings or wrist pins. That would give a slapping noise (for sure). But I don't believe it would cause oil to be consumed, just dirtied up very quickly (maybe I'm wrong). If things are really that bad in there I believe there would be chunks of metal laying in the pan so an oil drain/change might reveal that. And heck, cut open the filter just to make sure.

As far as selling, I agree, sell the whole thing. Coming up with a price may be difficult. Maybe try to get an engine rebuild price and take that off what you think you can get for a good running unit. Might not be feasible though. Who knows, there's probably someone out there who would love to spend a few months tearing it down and fixing it.

Oh, and find a different shop/mechanic. I think he's blowing smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts