M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We're thinking of moving our family from New Jersey to Arizona. We've visited in July and August and love it. Any suggestions on good real estate areas and schools would be helpful.

KC:doorag:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Kennal,

I lived in Northwest Phoenix for 23 years. I lived between Union Hills and Cactus and 35th ave and 59th ave. Beside the heat... I loved the area. Depends on the type of house you are looking for, I would suggest looking in the newer developed areas. Those areas include: north Peoria, Surprise, Anthem, etc. The homes where I grew up, are getting old. Most were built in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The older developed areas seem to have large, well-established trees, which is nice for the shade. Newer developments have landscaped trees. Shopping, clubs, restaurants, other amenities are usually not more than a few miles from every major residential development. One more thing, public transportation is a JOKE in the Phx area. There are a few buses and a light rail in the downtown area, but that's it. The cities have invested a lot in freeways, but watch out for the photo radar on your 9. :joke:

As far as schools go: my first recommendations is to keep the kids out of public schools if you can. AZ is notorious for being among the lowest ranked public school districts in the country. (I don't want to get political, but we saw on the news the other day that many of the public schools are expecting a huge drop in attendance next year due a decline in illegal child attendance. The news said up to a 50% drop). So, the future of our public schools may be in a state of flux. I don't know if this level of "predicted" change will be good, bad, or indifferent.

Currently, I live in Cottonwood, AZ. It's about 20 min south of Sedona and an hour and half north of Phoenix. I'm about an hour away from Prescott or Flagstaff. The temp is about 10 degrees lower than Phx and it has the small-town atmosphere. I actually know most of my neighbors, their kids, where they work, etc. Public schools here aren't much better than Phx, but there are other options here too. I've learned this area is good for young families and retired people. If you are single, looking for nightlife, you will not find it here and you will probably be bored. My family and I moved here 5 years ago for a job promotion, when I worked for a large chain company, but now I work at the medical center.

Prescott is nice with a large retirement communities and they will get some snow. Flagstaff is a college town with lots of tourists and does not have a strong economy (in my opinion) and they get tons of snow each year.

I hope this helps! AZ is a big state with lots of towns and lifestyles to offer. I'm not very familiar with the south and east Phoenix areas (Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe) and I'm sure there are a few members living in Tuscon that could offer some insight on the southern side of the state. The largest newspaper in the state is "The Arizona Republic" which you may want to check out so see what's going on and a good website to check out that has a lot of current events is:

azcentral.com

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Parkerppaul

Alot of useful info. Thanks for the time you put into it and thoughtfullness. Hope to see you someday on a ride!

KC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually funny your posted this. I'm thinking of moving from Arizona to New Jersey. I'm getting out of the Air Force, and the Guard unit in Egg Harbour has a slot if I want it; however; I'll probably take a job in Tuscon or in Dallas, seeing as I wasn't to crazy about AC anyway. I live in Surprise and love it. Everything is close. The Cardinals stadium at westgate (good bars, and theres alot of bike shows there) Buckeye is a good place too, its a little further out from PHX/Glendale but it's quiet for now. The only thing I ever hear anyone complain about is the noise from the Air Force Base, which honestly the base was here first, you have to sign an agreement about the noise when you move into the area, and really they're not all that loud. Of course I do work on the jets so either I'm used to it or just deaf. I've spent the last 12 years of my life trying to move back to Colorado where I was born. However; I am proud to say I have found my home in Arizona. PHX is a great area. Your a short trip away from everything. San Diego is 4-5 hrs away. Same with Vegas. Flagstaff for the "skiing" is only two hours away. And if you look at the news, well Arizona is standing up for the safety of its people, or so they say. I can't say any other state is doing that. Good luck with your move, and maybe we can all get together when/if you move out here. Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good move

USAF

New Jersey is going down the toilet quickly. The real estate, the economy the politics... it's a sinking ship. Taxes out the you know what, insurance through the roof, unemployment...you name it.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those areas.

KC

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
USAF

New Jersey is going down the toilet quickly. The real estate, the economy the politics... it's a sinking ship. Taxes out the you know what, insurance through the roof, unemployment...you name it.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those areas.

KC
:agree: & I'm sorry it took you so long to discover it. I left in '89 when my taxes doubled in four years during the middle of a recession. I made North Carolina my home after two other potential choices (Wyoming & Alaska) I'm a little anti-social :D It was a very good move and a great place to raise my last two boys...good luck with your decision. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gramps

I was stationed at Ft Bragg for 4 years. Love NC just can't take the humidity or I would move there in a heartbeat. My son suffers from the same respiratory problems that I have, hence the move to a dry climate. We both can breath easily out there and enjoy the heat.

Ride SAfe

KC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh yes I know about the taxes in NJ. AZ is crazy with sales tax; however. It seems like you can buy something at walmart, then go two blocks down to target and pay a different sales tax. I'm told its because every city has a different tax. Now is the time to buy a home in AZ. Crazy good deals out there. And you dont have to pay out the BLANK for property tax like NJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
I moved out here from Southern California in June of 2006. I currently live in Tolleson, which is on the south western side of Phoenix. At first I couldn't stand the heat, I did pest control / termite / and roofing in CA obviously all outdoor work, and still thought I was dying every day for the first summer.

I've gotten pretty used to it now, so it doesn't bother me as much... but I miss the fact that it doesn't cool off at night. Other than than, I've got no real complaints. Neither of my boys are school aged, so I don't have any real complaints or compliments about the local school systems. Though my wife is a teacher at a Phoenix school.

It is pretty nice to be able to ride all year long, if you can handle 120ish summers and 30 degree winters. :) Lots of scenic areas to go through, and a pretty nice selection of road/ride types.

-Dave

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

You guys are a very good resource. I've been lining up some properties to look at in some of your suggested areas. The deals seem to good to be true, compared to NJ, and real estate is down here as well. I'm looking forward to our visit; only wish we could bring our 109's. Soon enough hopefully.

Thanks
KC

·
Registered
483 Posts
You guys are a very good resource. I've been lining up some properties to look at in some of your suggested areas. The deals seem to good to be true, compared to NJ, and real estate is down here as well. I'm looking forward to our visit; only wish we could bring our 109's. Soon enough hopefully.

Thanks
KC
KC,

I grew up in Scottsdale which is very nice, but overpriced. When I moved back from the military and could not afford Scottsdale I purchased a house in Peoria which is 15 miles west of Phoenix. Out of all the west side cities this has to be one of the best. I work in law enforcement so crime stats are pretty big with me. The City of Peoria is very low on serious crime, but still has the petty stuff. I'm within minutes of great restaurants, shopping and entertainment. I don't have any kids, but have heard the schools in Peoria are superior. The deals are out there, so don't settle on the first house or location. Enjoy your house hunting and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I've met a few of the west side riders and can't say enough good things about them. Take care, Scott

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scott

Nice to hear from you. My wife and I are retired police officers. Very young though, we both got on early. I appreciate the info and look forward to riding with you guys someday.
KC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Arizona

I Live in Surprise, AZ and really enjoy it here, I was born and raised in Las Vegas so the weather is about the same, if you were here in August and loved it, I think you would really enjoy the winter months here, as far as the schools my wife teaches 6th grade in the Dysart/Unified School District, She really likes it and is looking to becoming a Principal next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts