M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to Jerry, Liquid Pain yesterday and he said that he had a modified Kosman rim and so do alot of other folks. The measurements he gave me were to widen the rim 1/2" on the hub/drive side and 1" on the right side. If you have a modified rim by Kosman chime and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Don't know about you but I would not trust a widened rim on a motorcycle--they might work on cars, but to me not on a two wheeled vehicle. Of course, unless you are willing to put your life on the line for saving a few bucks. I have to believe that when motorcycle wheels are cut to be added to by widening, there is always the possibility of finding a weaker point within the junction of one or more pieces. It will only take the right amount of stress or pressure on a point for this wheel to give way and the consequences could be catastrophic:dontknow:. Why not spend a bit more by purchasing a set that comes with a 10 inch rear and save on your peace of mind.

***Edit*** Well, after taking the time and reading your signature I would say go for it, since with this type of modification to a motorcycle wheel your journey to the grave will always be less than safe:joke:. JUST KIDDING BRO, Ride Safe, Always. Here is additional info from a member that had not one but 2 of these rims malfunction. How is that for the odds?

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123444

·
Registered
260 Posts
my car is 1480 kg , my bike is only 315 kg , the wheels on my car have been widened , front front 8 to 10 inch rear from from 10 to 11.5 ..........no issues so why woudl there be a problem with the bike ??? the company that does my wheels has been in the game for 20 odd years , I have had more than 30 m109 wheels done by them front and rear , with no issues...........

but that does not say that the next guy out there knows what he is doing , I TRUST MY GUY ............

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Do a search the wheel has broke at the weld on more then one member.Fatasss wheel is widened They are not safe!!!!!!Tbar please do your homework before you bite the bullet on widening your wheel.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
my car is 1480 kg , my bike is only 315 kg , the wheels on my car have been widened , front front 8 to 10 inch rear from from 10 to 11.5 ..........no issues so why woudl there be a problem with the bike ??? the company that does my wheels has been in the game for 20 odd years , I have had more than 30 m109 wheels done by them front and rear , with no issues...........

but that does not say that the next guy out there knows what he is doing , I TRUST MY GUY ............
Well, for one in a car you have 3 other wheels to rely upon in case of a failure, whereas on a bike you only one additional wheel; Now, what good does that remaining wheel does for you if you cannot keep the balance?:dontknow::nojoke:. I understand that some might accept the risk just to save a few dollars and have an "extra inch", but to me is not worth it.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts